Old 18-05-2014, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chelsea preview tonight

Refreshingly free of rusting iron bits and pieces, it seems - there
appeared to be a lot of pensive elegance around! Sophie Raworth did a
good job. Ray - who is not usually observant of these things - said
that it was refreshing to see a presenter wearing 'quiet' clothes, flat
shoes and speaking in a normal and un-agitated sort of voice. I think
he's right. If there has to be an anchor between the gardening types
and the rest of the world, she did it well, very well. Maybe there's a
personal and untapped vein in my thinking but I think their idea of
'Mum and Me' as to how a parent influenced or kicked-started your
interest in gardening, is a good one. Many of us bemoan the fact that
younger people aren't interested in gardening and perhaps this
acknowledges that and what gets them started. It will be interesting
to see how it develops. We thought tonight's Preview was very
intersting and really promising.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-05-2014, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-19 00:50:32 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

On Sun, 18 May 2014 23:32:08 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

[...]

Having visited the Raworth family home on a NGS Open Day I can say
they have a really splendid garden. If Sophie has a genuine interest
in gardening / plants I'd say the family home was a good starting
point!

PS - I haven't yet watched the preview but I've recorded it.

In the Preview they had her mother going round with her. Again, she was
dressed properly, i.e. not a in a 'starry' way at all and she did seem
to know what she was talking about. She was also very relaxed in front
of the camera so perhaps it runs in the family. She was a florist in
her younger life.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-05-2014, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-19 07:54:46 +0000, Martin said:

[...]

interesting and really promising.

I knew she would be OK. I'm a Sophie fan.

I really enjoyed the programme and most of the gardens shown.
The BBC have got it right. I hope the rest of the coverage is as good.

I agree. If it continues in that vein, it will be spot on.

I liked the Guernsey horticulturist using a rusty razor blade to pollinate a
Clematis. I'm sure amateurs can buy a £30 tool to do the same thing :-)

Loved the grandson! He's a bright little spark! Raymond Evison is THE
Clematis breeder in UK and I imagine his move to Guernsey a long time
ago was to minimise oil bills, given the comparatively mild winters
there. And it may be that he took over some of the redundant tomato
houses in the beginning. We drove past the place a few years ago and
it's a large enterprise.

Has somebody been sticking pins in a wax effigy?

That is *precisely* what I said to Ray, the very words!

There is/was something screwed up in the Chelsea Flower Show entries in the
Freesat Electronic Programme Guide on Saturday. On Saturday, when I
tried to set
my Humax PVR to record the CFS programmes for this week, the recorder went off
into a loop and I had to pull the plug out to get it to work again. It didn't
record the programme you refer to although I had set it to record it, luckily I
watched it live. I made another attempt to tell it to record the CFS programmes
this week and this time they are marked to record, whether it will record them
is yet to be seen. I wondered if the swap of the CFS from BBC1 to BBC
2, perhaps
with overlapping times, every evening confused the PVR.

Way out of my league! I'm hoping to record the flower arranging man at
lunchtime today, so must check the timings for that.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-05-2014, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-19 12:06:04 +0000, Martin said:

On Mon, 19 May 2014 09:28:53 +0100, Sacha wrote:
snip

Has somebody been sticking pins in a wax effigy?

That is *precisely* what I said to Ray, the very words!

Your name was mentioned in our house :-)

Not me guv!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-05-2014, 06:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-19 12:06:04 +0000, Martin said:

On Mon, 19 May 2014 09:28:53 +0100, Sacha wrote:
snip

Has somebody been sticking pins in a wax effigy?

That is *precisely* what I said to Ray, the very words!

Your name was mentioned in our house :-)

Not me guv!

Shortage of hat pins?

Don't tempt me!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-05-2014, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes

I really enjoyed the programme and most of the gardens shown.
The BBC have got it right. I hope the rest of the coverage is as good.

It was a treat to watch them working on it! As a photographer I like
other photographers as a subject and Press Day at Chelsea seemed to be
their annual reunion. The BBC were particularly photogenic in the
morning when they were actively foraging in small groups, but in the
afternoon heat they clumped together and became rather immobile. They
were cordoned off by a rope passed round a steward at each corner, which
must've been the most boring job on site.
I'l watch their output if it turns up on i-player.

I liked the Guernsey horticulturist using a rusty razor blade to pollinate a
Clematis. I'm sure amateurs can buy a £30 tool to do the same thing :-)

There's a stand at Chelsea selling really expensive Japanese tools for
bonsai maintenance. More like £300 upwards.

Has somebody been sticking pins in a wax effigy?

Not wax, but driftwood or wicker, £1500-ish. Your pins wouldn't stick
in human-sized welded metal frogs-playing-dixieland-jazz, which anyway
deserve something larger such as a sledgehammer. I didn't see the BBC
anywhere near those!
--
Sue ]