Old 27-08-2014, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Why ? Why ? Why?

Why cant people open NEW threads when they change topic?
It was pure chance I saw Spiders reply about Climbing Hydrangers.
I'd given up on "pruning these young apple trees" as I have nothing to
add to the thread.
The same goes for "What goes around, comes around" which after a long
thread changed to "Plumb tree" with now 45 posts and very little trimming.
Come on peoples, you can do better than this.
Old 28-08-2014, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

The same goes for "What goes around, comes around" which after a long
thread changed to "Plumb tree"

I have visions of somebody going around with a carpenter's level, checking
those trees.

Old 28-08-2014, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David when I asked this question of changing subjects and leaving long
threads open and not trimming, on the changing subjects side, I was told in
no uncertain terms it is 'thread drift'. I took it that it was 'allowed'.
With regards to the trimming aspect, I have drawn attention to the Rules and
Regulations that trimming/snipping/pruning should take place. However on
this forum, there seems to be those who write their own rules

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

Old 28-08-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:36:48 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Why cant people open NEW threads when they change topic?

You can set Forte Agent to do that automatically. I can't remember
where the option is as I haven't changed it for years.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 28-08-2014, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Why cant people open NEW threads when they change topic?

You can set Forte Agent to do that automatically. I can't remember
where the option is as I haven't changed it for years.

Steve

I've tried that in Unison but it doesn't work. I can't even remember
what I used to use but it was possible to type a new thread name and
then put "was xyz" in brackets.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-08-2014, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/08/2014 01:01, Gary Woods wrote:
David Hill wrote:

The same goes for "What goes around, comes around" which after a long
thread changed to "Plumb tree"

I have visions of somebody going around with a carpenter's level, checking
those trees.

That would be Plumb Bob
Old 28-08-2014, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

Why cant people open NEW threads when they change topic?
It was pure chance I saw Spiders reply about Climbing Hydrangers.
I'd given up on "pruning these young apple trees" as I have nothing to
add to the thread.
The same goes for "What goes around, comes around" which after a long
thread changed to "Plumb tree" with now 45 posts and very little trimming.
Come on peoples, you can do better than this.

Thread drift is one thing but when you put in a new header and a new
topic then it should be posted as a new thread
Old 28-08-2014, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

Why cant people open NEW threads when they change topic?
It was pure chance I saw Spiders reply about Climbing Hydrangers.
I'd given up on "pruning these young apple trees" as I have nothing to
add to the thread.
The same goes for "What goes around, comes around" which after a long
thread changed to "Plumb tree" with now 45 posts and very little trimming.
Come on peoples, you can do better than this.

Thread drift is one thing but when you put in a new header and a new
topic then it should be posted as a new thread

As my DH says, who died and elected you king (moderator)! LOL.

This is a gardening group, we graft sometimes)));

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 28-08-2014, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:57:45 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I DIDN'T WRITE THIS:

We have two Ophelia's and two Rosey's here ATM. The doppelganger of
both is our resident troublemaker, using Aioe and Postfilter.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 28-08-2014, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I DIDN'T WRITE THIS:

We have two Ophelia's and two Rosey's here ATM. The doppelganger of
both is our resident troublemaker, using Aioe and Postfilter.

Should have said, at least you can tell my posts from his, but not everyone
can.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 28-08-2014, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

David when I asked this question of changing subjects and leaving long
threads open and not trimming, on the changing subjects side, I was
told in no uncertain terms it is 'thread drift'. I took it that it was
'allowed'. With regards to the trimming aspect, I have drawn attention
to the Rules and Regulations that trimming/snipping/pruning should take
place. However on this forum, there seems to be those who write their
own rules

You have been told many times before that there are no rules and
regulations on this newsgroups. There is advice, but that is a different
matter.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 29-08-2014, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Why cant people open NEW threads when they change topic?

You can set Forte Agent to do that automatically. I can't remember
where the option is as I haven't changed it for years.

Steve

I've tried that in Unison but it doesn't work. I can't even remember
what I used to use but it was possible to type a new thread name and
then put "was xyz" in brackets.

That would be the sensible way of doing it, so one could still follow
the old thread, if required. TBH, I find keeping threads intact helps
me to look back at what's been said earlier. It's essential when
replying to a post point by point or paragraph by paragraph.
Patience is also a good thing. Some of us are more technologically
challenged than others (guilty), and a little tolerance goes a long way.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 29-08-2014, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:05:27 +0100, Spider wrote:

Patience is also a good thing. Some of us are more technologically
challenged than others (guilty), and a little tolerance goes a long way.

When I was younger and in the thick of the computing world I was not
technologically challenged very often. Now I'm oldish and retired I
find gardening to be a challenge.

Steve

Old 29-08-2014, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/08/2014 13:24, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:05:27 +0100, Spider wrote:

Patience is also a good thing. Some of us are more technologically
challenged than others (guilty), and a little tolerance goes a long way.

When I was younger and in the thick of the computing world I was not
technologically challenged very often. Now I'm oldish and retired I
find gardening to be a challenge.

Steve

:~)). I reckon we all have that problem. With me, it's often time as
much as creakiness.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London