Old 16-09-2014, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Beans

I have grown Red Rum for a number of years - in a raised bed with plenty of
water !! They have always been heavy croppers and fantastic quality; this year
was just the same.

Do others have favourites - as I think I will grow Red Run plus a different
sort next year; I would be interested in suggestions, favourites.

Cheers

Old 16-09-2014, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We will go with Enorma and in a raised bed as well. So far we have picked
over 25 lb off the few plants we have, we think 10 plants but we can't see
the stems because of the foliage. I suppose it also helps that we have a
Bee's nest in the shed very close by :-) Still picking and they are still
producing but slowing down a bit. Grew them last year and will grow them
again next year.

Does anybody else weigh off their crop?

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 1st October 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’
"Malcolm" wrote in message ...

In article , Judith in
England writes

I have grown Red Rum for a number of years - in a raised bed with plenty of
water !! They have always been heavy croppers and fantastic quality; this
year
was just the same.

Do others have favourites - as I think I will grow Red Run plus a different
sort next year; I would be interested in suggestions, favourites.

We grew Celebration and Enorma Elite last year and they did so well that
we chose them again this year and are currently picking a great crop.

--
Malcolm

Old 16-09-2014, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Judith in England wrote:

I have grown Red Rum for a number of years - in a raised bed with
plenty of water !! They have always been heavy croppers and
fantastic quality; this year was just the same.

Do others have favourites - as I think I will grow Red Run plus a
different sort next year; I would be interested in suggestions,
favourites.

I'll be sticking to St George - they've never failed me yet.

--
Chris
Old 16-09-2014, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
We will go with Enorma and in a raised bed as well. So far we have picked
over 25 lb off the few plants we have, we think 10 plants but we can't see
the stems because of the foliage. I suppose it also helps that we have a
Bee's nest in the shed very close by :-) Still picking and they are still
producing but slowing down a bit. Grew them last year and will grow them
again next year.

Does anybody else weigh off their crop?

No, but I will now.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-09-2014, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote in message

I have grown Red Rum for a number of years - in a raised bed with plenty of
water !! They have always been heavy croppers and fantastic quality; this
year
was just the same.

Do others have favourites - as I think I will grow Red Run plus a different
sort next year; I would be interested in suggestions, favourites.

To ring the changes this year, I grew 12 'Galaxy' runners. Med/heavy
cropping, tender if harvested at 10".

Lovely taste and completely stringless (as advertised on the pack).

Old 16-09-2014, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , CT
writes
Judith in England wrote:

I have grown Red Rum for a number of years - in a raised bed with
plenty of water !! They have always been heavy croppers and
fantastic quality; this year was just the same.

Do others have favourites - as I think I will grow Red Run plus a
different sort next year; I would be interested in suggestions,
favourites.

I'll be sticking to St George - they've never failed me yet.

I grow three or four plants up the side of my garage; I prefer red-and-
white flowers because they're prettier. St George gave me a good crop
but the pods were rather watery, especially after freezing. I grew
Painted Lady for years until shops stopped selling it - I'll try to get
some off the internet for next year.
--
Sue ]
Old 16-09-2014, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote

Judith in England writes

I have grown Red Rum for a number of years - in a raised bed with plenty
of
water !! They have always been heavy croppers and fantastic quality; this
year
was just the same.

Do others have favourites - as I think I will grow Red Run plus a
different
sort next year; I would be interested in suggestions, favourites.

We grew Celebration and Enorma Elite last year and they did so well that we
chose them again this year and are currently picking a great crop.

Celebration, isn't that the one with peach coloured flowers, we grew that a
few years ago, good cropper, grew well. The Boss prefers white flowered
beans, says they are more tender, so we grow White Lady and Moonlight.
What we find is when we have a glut we can't get rid of runner beans to
neighbours, they all want French beans though.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-09-2014, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

We will go with Enorma and in a raised bed as well. So far we have picked
over 25 lb off the few plants we have, we think 10 plants but we can't see
the stems because of the foliage. I suppose it also helps that we have a
Bee's nest in the shed very close by :-) Still picking and they are still
producing but slowing down a bit. Grew them last year and will grow them
again next year.

Does anybody else weigh off their crop?

Mike

No idea what I grow, they are all seed kept from previous
years. I know this year, one row had red flowers, the other
pink.

Got a very good crop, and still picking - upto 27+ lbs at the
moment. Record year was over 41 lbs

I always weigh beans, peas rhubarb, and soft fruit, got records
going back to when we moved here 20 years ago. It is
interesting the difference in cropping periods over the years,
I record start and end date on a 10 day window in the month, ie
early (1st to 10th) mid (11th - 20th) and late.

Don't know why, but I've never bothered to wiegh root veggies
or spuds (not that I grow them any more).

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 16-09-2014, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger we had a 5.5 oz Autumn King carrot yesterday which was as tough as old
boots to peel and slice, but was lovely and tender when cooked. I like to
scrape carrots normally but this was too big/tough.

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 1st October 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

Old 16-09-2014, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

Celebration, isn't that the one with peach coloured flowers, we grew that
a few years ago, good cropper, grew well. The Boss prefers white flowered
beans, says they are more tender, so we grow White Lady and Moonlight.
What we find is when we have a glut we can't get rid of runner beans to
neighbours, they all want French beans though.

I would call Celebration flowers salmon-pink and they contrast nicely with
the red of Enorma.

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

--
Malcolm

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-09-2014, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/09/2014 21:19, Ophelia wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message

Celebration, isn't that the one with peach coloured flowers, we grew
that a few years ago, good cropper, grew well. The Boss prefers white
flowered beans, says they are more tender, so we grow White Lady and
Moonlight.
What we find is when we have a glut we can't get rid of runner beans
to neighbours, they all want French beans though.

I would call Celebration flowers salmon-pink and they contrast nicely
with the red of Enorma.

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

--
Malcolm

A good old variety, been around for over 50 years.
Old 16-09-2014, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

Celebration, isn't that the one with peach coloured flowers, we grew
that a few years ago, good cropper, grew well. The Boss prefers white
flowered beans, says they are more tender, so we grow White Lady and
Moonlight.
What we find is when we have a glut we can't get rid of runner beans
to neighbours, they all want French beans though.

I would call Celebration flowers salmon-pink and they contrast nicely
with the red of Enorma.

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

A good old variety, been around for over 50 years.

Cool thank you)) Heh I have a lot to learn)

Thank you very much ) Have you grown them?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-09-2014, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/16/2014 4:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

I grew them about 20 years ago. I prefer them to runner beans.

Old 16-09-2014, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 9/16/2014 4:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

I grew them about 20 years ago. I prefer them to runner beans.

Thanks What do you prefer to grow now?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM