Old 20-09-2014, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Per square foot.

Our Runner Beans have been fantastic. A 5 ft run in our small raised veg bed
has so far produced 29lb 8oz and we are still picking. We started picking on
July 13th.

What other crop can we plant next year which will produce the same yield?
Space is at a premium because these days we only have a small garden. 2 5ft
x 4ft veg beds, the rest flowers and shrubs etc suitable as an 'open garden'

Any suggestions?

Mike

Old 20-09-2014, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote ...

Our Runner Beans have been fantastic. A 5 ft run in our small raised veg
bed has so far produced 29lb 8oz and we are still picking. We started
picking on July 13th.

What other crop can we plant next year which will produce the same yield?
Space is at a premium because these days we only have a small garden. 2
5ft x 4ft veg beds, the rest flowers and shrubs etc suitable as an 'open
garden'

Any suggestions?

French Beans would also do quite well or just plant runners again, I've
known allotment holders with a permanent bean frame, so they plant in the
same place each year. My father-in-law always planted runners around his
small garden up the fences for two reasons, eating them and the plants
covered the fences making a nice backdrop to the rest of the plants.
We love our Early Onward peas, freeze beautifully, so you could plant and
crop those very early where you are then put in the beans (especially if you
got them going in pots first).
As it's in a flower garden try some runners with pretty flowers, Celebration
for example. We often plant white flowered (White Lady, Moonlight) and
another like Celebration or Lady Di and plant a few of one then a few of the
other and so on down the row to get a striped look along the poles.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-09-2014, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/09/2014 16:59, Bob Hobden wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote ...

[...]

I have a permanent position for my runners, they (up to press) always do
well. I have set 2 scaffolding poles in concrete at either end, this has
stopped them blowing over in exceptionally windy weather.
Old 22-09-2014, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the replies folks. Broadback, rather surprised that ours have
help up this year, what with the amount of foliage and crop!!

Yes we will be doing Enorma and as a crop which might meet the same harvest
levels a couple have recommended Broad Beans. Anyone recommend a good one?

Bob, not keen on French Beans :-( Thanks for the recommendation though. You
weren't the only one ;-)

It's all down to the 'crop per square foot'

Mike