Old 22-10-2014, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Phaelenopsis success

A few years ago, I was on the verge of losing a treasured white Phal.
given to me by a friend. It had almost flowered itself to death,
producing about 45 flowers in its final season, after years of normal
blooming. Someone on urg (probably Bob Hobden) told me that some white
Phals are reputed to die after such a grand flowering event.

I was determined not to lose it, but it began to look very sad indeed;
starting to deteriorate at the base of the crown from where the
underground roots grew. I removed it from its pot, cut away the damaged
basal growth and old roots, which were also looking poorly.
I then repotted it by burying a few of the very healthy aerial roots,
still leaving many aerial roots above ground.

It took months for the plant to respond at all, and 2-3 years before I
could be sure it was alive and growing well. Earlier this year it put
out a flowering spike, which is now blooming. Looking today, I see it
has a 2nd and 3rd flower spike just starting to develop. I am really
chuffed :~)). I appreciate that not everyone wants to go to this
trouble and would normally throw out such a sickly plant. However,
where a plant is particularly valued (and patience in good supply!), it
is well worth the trouble of resurrecting it.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-10-2014, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/10/2014 19:03, Spider wrote:

It took months for the plant to respond at all, and 2-3 years before I
could be sure it was alive and growing well. Earlier this year it put
out a flowering spike, which is now blooming. Looking today, I see it
has a 2nd and 3rd flower spike just starting to develop.

In my limited experience this is quite typical of phalaenopsis. They
seem to really resent repotting, but eventually respond and flower well.
Until the next repotting...

--

Jeff
Old 22-10-2014, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations)) As always I am in awe of you

I still think you ought to write a book!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 22-10-2014, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/10/2014 20:06, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Off topic a little,
Yesterday i re-potted 2 Dendrobiums, No choice as they couldn't stay
upright, One has 7 new shoots all now around 12 inches long, no way
would they stay upright in their small pots.
Probably wrong time of the year and wrong pot size, but no choice really
Also re-potted a cymbidium I bought that was going cheap( couldn't
resist a singing orchid).
Bought a Phaelenopsis that had finished flowering for £1.99.
I've had 6 re-flower this summer but they have been specked with Botrytis?
Just wondering if you can use a fungicide on orchids
David @ a still damp side of Swansea Bay
Old 22-10-2014, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/10/2014 19:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 22/10/2014 19:03, Spider wrote:

It took months for the plant to respond at all, and 2-3 years before I
could be sure it was alive and growing well. Earlier this year it put
out a flowering spike, which is now blooming. Looking today, I see it
has a 2nd and 3rd flower spike just starting to develop.

In my limited experience this is quite typical of phalaenopsis. They
seem to really resent repotting, but eventually respond and flower well.
Until the next repotting...

Oh. I'm surprised. I've never had a problem with routine repotting.
This was the first time I'd ever lopped off one root system and had to
wait for another to take.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-10-2014, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you, Ophelia! It's amazing what desperation can drive you to
achieve. The hard bit was getting through those 3 yrs with my fingers
crossed;~). Sorry, still haven't started on that book.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-10-2014, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

I understand It is hard to write when you have your finger crossed ...
;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 22-10-2014, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Well done. All I ever do with Dendrobiums is kill them :~((. Must try
harder. I'm sure you've done the right thing whether it was the right
season for it or not. Sometimes a job just has to be done.

Also re-potted a cymbidium I bought that was going cheap( couldn't
resist a singing orchid).

Groan.

Bought a Phaelenopsis that had finished flowering for £1.99.
I've had 6 re-flower this summer but they have been specked with Botrytis?
Just wondering if you can use a fungicide on orchids

I've never had to try a fungicide on orchids. I'd certainly not want to
get it on the roots as it might upset their bio-interface-thingy with
the compost. Are you sure it's Botrytis? Some orchids get blackish
speckles, and it's supposed to be harmful, but I've never noticed any
harm from it. If it is Botrytis, could you cut out the damaged area, or
is it too wide spread?

Just found a link that covers Botrytis Blight on orchids, so hope it's
of some help. Good luck, David.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/botrytr...hid-22392.html

Old 22-10-2014, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

... ;-)

Tee hee :~)). Perhaps I'll have to get a secretary and start dictating.
I always told my father he should write a book. He knew far more than I
ever will. He didn't write one either.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-10-2014, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

It's the flowers that have very little dark dots all over them, the
leaves are fine despite me watering all over them during the summer.

David @ a still damp side of Swansea Bay

Old 23-10-2014, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/botrytr...hid-22392.html

It's the flowers that have very little dark dots all over them, the leaves
are fine despite me watering all over them during the summer.

Never had that happen, scale on the flowers yes, but never fungus.
However I never water all over my Phal plants as any water left in the crown
overnight will cause rot so I water the pot only. The best method is to part
fill a bucket with the water/food and let the phal pot sit in that for some
while to soak the compost through completely. The commercial growers have
benches they can automatically flood and drain.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-10-2014, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

I've done a bit more research and it seems one can use a fungicide on
orchids. I checked a US site, so you'll need to look for appropriate UK
fungicides.

Your main problem would seem to be your habit of watering "all over
them", which is causing fungal problems. Perhaps that and want of
garden/greenhouse hygiene, so you need to clean up after any dropped
flowers or damaged leaves. Neighbouring plants should also be kept
clean, so they don't infect or reinfect your orchids. Perhaps any new
orchids should be quarantined for their own sake and also to check they
are not introducing disease to your existing plants.

I do hope you can clear up the Botrytis spotting. It seems a shame to
wait months for flowers, only to find they're spoiled.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London