Old 31-03-2015, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wakehurst Place today

Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers, photos
at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Regards
Bob

Old 31-03-2015, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"FrankB" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers,

photos
at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Some really nice photos.I used to visit Wakehurst nearly every year in the
90s. There's a Himalayan area there which was covered with Meconopsis in
June, so it's worth a revisit just for that.

We used to get there quite often when Stonehurst Nursery (Orchids and
Camellias) was literally just down the road, gone now like so many others.
Although there is still Laurence Hobbs Orchids at Crawley Down but it's by
appointment only.
The drive used to be Herons Bonsai (still there), then Stonehurst, then
Wakehurst for P & T and then onto McBeans (under new ownership after a
fraught few months) down in Cooksbridge.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/03/2015 17:15, Bob Hobden wrote:
Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers,
photos at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Regards
Bob

Lovely pics, Bob. You may very well be the cause of our diriving down
there in the near future. Thanks for sharing.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-04-2015, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers,
photos at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Lovely pics, Bob. You may very well be the cause of our diriving down
there in the near future. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. Unfortunately unless you are Friends of Kew, Day Ticket visitors
or Season ticket holders you now have to pay for the car park, in other
words that's National Trust members then.

http://www.kew.org/visit-wakehurst/p...arking-charges

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/04/2015 17:09, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers,
photos at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Lovely pics, Bob. You may very well be the cause of our diriving down
there in the near future. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. Unfortunately unless you are Friends of Kew, Day Ticket
visitors or Season ticket holders you now have to pay for the car park,
in other words that's National Trust members then.

http://www.kew.org/visit-wakehurst/p...arking-charges

Thanks for the warning, Bob. Alas, RG has just today come down with a
cold (man flu!), so we may not be going until he's better:~(.
Nevermind, I could drop a hint to go on my birthday in a few weeks time.
I'll miss the magnolias, of course, but there'll still be plenty to see.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-04-2015, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 17:15:17 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers, photos
at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Nice. I love Magnolias, have tried to grow them here but the frosts
get the better of them.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers, photos
at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Nice. I love Magnolias, have tried to grow them here but the frosts
get the better of them.

The flowers or the plants themselves? There are late spring or
summer-flowering ones which could be OK for you, depending on where you
are. Quite a few are hardy down to USA Zone 4 or 5.

--

Jeff
Old 02-04-2015, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers, photos
at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Nice. I love Magnolias, have tried to grow them here but the frosts
get the better of them.

The flowers or the plants themselves? There are late spring or
summer-flowering ones which could be OK for you, depending on where you
are. Quite a few are hardy down to USA Zone 4 or 5.

The problem here is our very maritime climate, with spring being
a mixture of warm and cold spells. The usual problem with such
flowers is that they come out of bud in a warm spell, only to be
caught by a cold spell or sharp frost. That is much less of a
problem in continental climates, like those in the USA.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers,
photos at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Lovely pics, Bob. You may very well be the cause of our diriving down
there in the near future. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. Unfortunately unless you are Friends of Kew, Day Ticket
visitors or Season ticket holders you now have to pay for the car park,
in other words that's National Trust members then.

http://www.kew.org/visit-wakehurst/p...arking-charges

Thanks for the warning. I just looked that up.

"First 30 minutes of parking free"

What on earth use is that? By the time you've walked from the car park
and through the gate it'll be time to leave!

--
RG
(ah-choo!)

Old 02-04-2015, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , RG wrote:
On 01/04/2015 17:09, Bob Hobden wrote:

Thank you. Unfortunately unless you are Friends of Kew, Day Ticket
visitors or Season ticket holders you now have to pay for the car park,
in other words that's National Trust members then.

http://www.kew.org/visit-wakehurst/p...arking-charges

Thanks for the warning. I just looked that up.

"First 30 minutes of parking free"

What on earth use is that? By the time you've walked from the car park
and through the gate it'll be time to leave!

Well, it allows you time to drop someone who needs a wheelchair,
and pick them up later.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

RG wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

Thank you. Unfortunately unless you are Friends of Kew, Day Ticket
visitors or Season ticket holders you now have to pay for the car park,
in other words that's National Trust members then.

http://www.kew.org/visit-wakehurst/p...arking-charges

Thanks for the warning. I just looked that up.

"First 30 minutes of parking free"

What on earth use is that? By the time you've walked from the car park
and through the gate it'll be time to leave!

Well, it allows you time to drop someone who needs a wheelchair,
and pick them up later.

Or buy something in the shop, have a coffee, or a P. All in the "newish"
visitors centre right next to the carpark.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/04/2015 22:53, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

RG wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

Thank you. Unfortunately unless you are Friends of Kew, Day Ticket
visitors or Season ticket holders you now have to pay for the car park,
in other words that's National Trust members then.

http://www.kew.org/visit-wakehurst/p...arking-charges

Thanks for the warning. I just looked that up.

"First 30 minutes of parking free"

What on earth use is that? By the time you've walked from the car park
and through the gate it'll be time to leave!

Well, it allows you time to drop someone who needs a wheelchair,
and pick them up later.

Or buy something in the shop, have a coffee, or a P. All in the "newish"
visitors centre right next to the carpark.

But for everyone except the most local visitors, there will be somewhere
nearer home where they can do all of those things.

Why go to Wakehurst and NOT see the plants?

--
RG
Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Drove over to Wakehurst to look at the Magnolias and spring flowers, photos
at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7651263189080/

Nice. I love Magnolias, have tried to grow them here but the frosts
get the better of them.

The flowers or the plants themselves?

Certainly the flowers, but the couple of Magnolias I had have either
died, or died back to ground level and never grow back past that
stage. The few flowers I have had do not look properly developed
either, I suspect we simply run out of summer before the flowering
really gets going. The latter problem happens with many other plants
here too.

There are late spring or
summer-flowering ones which could be OK for you, depending on where you
are. Quite a few are hardy down to USA Zone 4 or 5.

Thanks Jeff, I will have to look into other varieties of Magnolia.
I am in Tasmania.
I just looked into this USA zone business, and it looks like I'm in
zone 2 or 3... more like zone 2 though, as I live in the mountains:
https://www.anbg.gov.au/gardens/rese...rch/zones.html
Old 04-04-2015, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 09:54:19 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If minus 10 is your coldest, stellata magnolias are pretty hardy IME
and they flower at a very young age.

Janet