Old 26-05-2015, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Teasels - carnivorous

I grew some teasels two years ago: and last year grew some more from their
seeds.

They are doing fantastically well - very healthy. I noticed again the amount
of water which collects in the leaf bases - and then I saw a number of small
slugs and snails - drowned - in some of them. I wondered if they were acting
a bit like a Pitcher Plant - and were carnivorous in any way. A few searches
about teasels and I find that lo and behold they are.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0017935

(Off out now to catch some flies to feed my teasels)

Old 26-05-2015, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , jmsmith2011
@hotmail.co.uk says...

I grew some teasels two years ago: and last year grew some more from their
seeds.

They are doing fantastically well - very healthy. I noticed again the amount
of water which collects in the leaf bases - and then I saw a number of small
slugs and snails - drowned - in some of them. I wondered if they were acting
a bit like a Pitcher Plant - and were carnivorous in any way. A few searches
about teasels and I find that lo and behold they are.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0017935

Thanks for that, it's very interesting. I've often noticed the puddles
but never thought about them having a purpose.

Janet
Old 27-05-2015, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/05/2015 12:10 AM, Judith in England wrote:

I grew some teasels two years ago: and last year grew some more from their
seeds.

Voluntarily grew? I'm trying desperately to stop teasels growing in my
garden. The darn things have spread seed far and wide and I spend a lot
of time reefing out baby plants. I thought that since I'm a spinner, I
should at least grow them once. That was about 5 or 6 years ago and I
still have them coming up as volunteers.

They are doing fantastically well - very healthy. I noticed again the amount
of water which collects in the leaf bases - and then I saw a number of small
slugs and snails - drowned - in some of them. I wondered if they were acting
a bit like a Pitcher Plant - and were carnivorous in any way. A few searches
about teasels and I find that lo and behold they are.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0017935

That is fascinating. I might have to stop ripping them out for a yer
and spend some time observing. Thanks for the URL.

Old 27-05-2015, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote

I grew some teasels two years ago: and last year grew some more from their
seeds.

They are doing fantastically well - very healthy. I noticed again the
amount
of water which collects in the leaf bases - and then I saw a number of
small
slugs and snails - drowned - in some of them. I wondered if they were
acting
a bit like a Pitcher Plant - and were carnivorous in any way. A few
searches
about teasels and I find that lo and behold they are.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0017935

(Off out now to catch some flies to feed my teasels)

So will you be feeding your Teasels with maggots as per the experiment? :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-05-2015, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 27 May 2015 17:27:57 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Judith in England" wrote

I grew some teasels two years ago: and last year grew some more from their
seeds.

They are doing fantastically well - very healthy. I noticed again the
amount
of water which collects in the leaf bases - and then I saw a number of
small
slugs and snails - drowned - in some of them. I wondered if they were
acting
a bit like a Pitcher Plant - and were carnivorous in any way. A few
searches
about teasels and I find that lo and behold they are.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0017935

(Off out now to catch some flies to feed my teasels)

So will you be feeding your Teasels with maggots as per the experiment? :-)

Good plan. There is a fishing tackle shop which sells them - I went to buy
some Dendrobaena to replenish my wormery after they all died about three years
ago - they have kept going since then.

On second thoughts - perhaps I'll just put some of the worms from the wormery
in to the teasels!!