Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Anthony E Anson

Default Wy^wi^wei^why^gelia

One of those up there /\ is a little decrepit to say
the least. There are / \ dead bits on most of the stems
and some of them are ¯||¯ only fit for kindling.
Question: what is the consensus of opinion - root fresh
cuttings and dig the old root out, or cut the stems back
to just above the ground in the autumn?

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 07-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Anthony E Anson
writes
One of those up there /\ is a little decrepit to say
the least. There are / \ dead bits on most of the stems
and some of them are ¯||¯ only fit for kindling.
Question: what is the consensus of opinion - root fresh
cuttings and dig the old root out, or cut the stems back
to just above the ground in the autumn?

Cut it right down late summer and stick a load of the 'sticks' in the
ground at the same time. If the bush survives you have lost nothing. If
it doesn't survive I think at least a few of the sticks will root over
the winter so that by next autumn you should have the startings of a new
bush. At least that is what I did with one of ours and have more plants
than I can cope with now!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 07-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

Cut it right down late summer and stick a load of the 'sticks' in the
ground at the same time. If the bush survives you have lost nothing. If
it doesn't survive I think at least a few of the sticks will root over
the winter so that by next autumn you should have the startings of a new
bush. At least that is what I did with one of ours and have more plants
than I can cope with now!!

Thanks Jane. I pulled out a dead bit and there was a little bit of root
attached and a small shoot growing from it. So, I have a start.