Old 25-11-2015, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Scaffolding Boards in the ground.

"john west" wrote in message
At our Allotment there is the general attempt by members to place
scaffolding boards around the edge of their planting areas and also to lay
down plastic sheet covered with wood-chip on the surrounding paths.

This keeps the loose earth contained behind the boards at the edge and
the paths free of wet mud.

These scaffolding boards are about £13 each and after a few years partly
buried in the ground start to rot away.

Is there a cheaper and more durable alternative to the scaffolding boards,
to do this job ?

I have in mind perhaps something like overlapping imitation roof slates?

Why imitation roof slates? - why not roof slates, granted, they can be a bit
sharp if you fall on the edge, but imitation ones would be the same, you can
get old slates from any roofer

Grateful for any *inexpensive* alternatives to scaffolding boards. Thanks.

You've only a choice between slate (or concrete), wood, metal or plastic,
wood and metal will rot, plastic is too brittle, bends and is too expensive,
which only leaves something solid

Old 26-11-2015, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes

"john west" wrote in message
[...]

Gravel boards? 6'x1' £6.50 flea bay.

--
Tim Lamb
Old 26-11-2015, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes

"john west" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, something like that would be ideal, they can be had for a fiver each
from any fencing place, an prob a bit cheaper than the scafolding planks

Old 26-11-2015, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 21:15, Phil L wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes

Old 27-11-2015, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yeah, something like that would be ideal, they can be had for a fiver each
from any fencing place, an prob a bit cheaper than the scafolding planks

I have tried Scaffolding boards, but as you say they rot, now I use
Decking Boards, 2.4m long are £4.49 at wickes. Have had them around my
strawberry patch for at least eight years and they still look good.
Old 27-11-2015, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 21:53, alan_m wrote:
On 26/11/2015 21:15, Phil L wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes

"john west" wrote in message
[...]

Eternit tiles or old slate are about the same price IIRC. 350mm slabs
cut in half about the same too
Old 27-11-2015, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"divingbrit" wrote in message

Yeah, something like that would be ideal, they can be had for a fiver
each
from any fencing place, an prob a bit cheaper than the scafolding planks

I have tried Scaffolding boards, but as you say they rot, now I use
Decking Boards, 2.4m long are £4.49 at wickes. Have had them around my
strawberry patch for at least eight years and they still look good.

Decking boards are a decent alternative given that they are tannalised
(pressure treated with preservatives) but they'll still rot eventually.
That said, concrete fence panels disintegrate after a while - once the steel
rods start to rust, they blow the concrete to bits

Old 27-11-2015, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 17:26, john west wrote:
At our Allotment there is the general attempt by members to place
scaffolding boards around the edge of their planting areas and also to
lay down plastic sheet covered with wood-chip on the surrounding paths.

This keeps the loose earth contained behind the boards at the edge and
the paths free of wet mud.

These scaffolding boards are about £13 each and after a few years partly
buried in the ground start to rot away.

Is there a cheaper and more durable alternative to the scaffolding
boards, to do this job ?

I have in mind perhaps something like overlapping imitation roof slates?

Grateful for any *inexpensive* alternatives to scaffolding boards. Thanks.

Gravel Boards of the concrete variety about the same price as
scaffolding boards:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Reces...830mm/p/540064

Not so high but more stable and probably better at holding down any
sheet on account of its weight.
Old 28-11-2015, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gravel Boards of the concrete variety about the same price as
scaffolding boards:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Reces...830mm/p/540064
Not so high but more stable and probably better at holding down any

sheet on account of its weight.

Concrete Gravel Boards would last much better, but twice the price,
and not as flexible, as in being cut to size, and to move around and
even being delivered. And then do you want in some fastenings, (screws
or nails)
'Horses for courses' so lots to think about, as you are planning for
years of use.

Old 28-11-2015, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes

"john west" wrote in message
[...]

you can get pressure treated 6"x1" in 3200 lengths for around £13

(timber merchant and account)

-

Old 28-11-2015, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 17:26, john west wrote:
At our Allotment there is the general attempt by members to place
scaffolding boards around the edge of their planting areas and also to
lay down plastic sheet covered with wood-chip on the surrounding paths.

This keeps the loose earth contained behind the boards at the edge and
the paths free of wet mud.

These scaffolding boards are about £13 each and after a few years partly
buried in the ground start to rot away.

Is there a cheaper and more durable alternative to the scaffolding
boards, to do this job ?

I have in mind perhaps something like overlapping imitation roof slates?

Grateful for any *inexpensive* alternatives to scaffolding boards. Thanks.

I'd have thought that if you treated the upper part of the boards in the
summer when they were dry and then turned the boards in the autumn so
that the part under the soil was brought to the surface then the boards
would last many years, and keeping in mind that you can easily cut them
to size they would be your best bet.
Not as heavy as concrete and deeper that most of the possible alternatives.
Old 29-11-2015, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2015 18:21, David Hill wrote:
[...]

I used second hand sleepers, they lasted years, just got rid of them a
year ago, and the gardener took them to use elsewhere.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback[_3_] View Post
[...]

Boards on allotments seem to be a relatively new thing, and from what I've seen tend to be used to separate the beds and the paths. You can make pretty patterns with them.. The beds developed don't appear to be seriously raised. just the looseness of the soil raising it above the path level. I no longer have an allotment but the whole plot was dug as one bed with a couple of planks used to walk on between the rows. My vegetable garden at home is a different matter with raised beds being the objective. I used concrete breeze blocks 4" thick. My first bed was 12" deep, 5 sq. m. and used 99 blocks. At that time the cost was Just under £50. The blocks were laid flat and space not wasted because l grow some things in large pots which stand on top. They enable me to go a lot higher if necessary without the use of cement, and of course the shape can easily be changed. They build houses with them so they are not likely to rot. I think a good long term investment for a garden but not an allotment.