Old 26-03-2016, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrot fly and parsnips

My garden suffers badly from carrot fly, so I have to net. I failed
badly with parsnips some decades back, but am trying again. I should
be interested to know whether anyone who has a bad carrot fly problem
(i.e. ALL maincrop carrots burrowed unusably by the new year) also
grows parsnips, and what their experience is.

I have tried clamping, but it doesn't help, as you can't clamp until
after the late summer flies have laid their eggs. All that happens
is that the burrowed carrots rot, and even less is usable than for
the unclamped ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-03-2016, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/03/2016 14:35, Nick Maclaren wrote:
My garden suffers badly from carrot fly, so I have to net. I failed
badly with parsnips some decades back, but am trying again. I should
be interested to know whether anyone who has a bad carrot fly problem
(i.e. ALL maincrop carrots burrowed unusably by the new year) also
grows parsnips, and what their experience is.

I have tried clamping, but it doesn't help, as you can't clamp until
after the late summer flies have laid their eggs. All that happens
is that the burrowed carrots rot, and even less is usable than for
the unclamped ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I suffer from carrot fly, but they have never affected my parsnips. I
always follow the same procedure. Fist I make a hole with a pointed
stick, as deep as the top soil. I then fill this with with a stone free
compost, sow 3 or 4 seeds on top then cover. This works for me.
Old 26-03-2016, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

Nick Maclaren wrote:
My garden suffers badly from carrot fly, so I have to net. I failed
badly with parsnips some decades back, but am trying again. I should
be interested to know whether anyone who has a bad carrot fly problem
(i.e. ALL maincrop carrots burrowed unusably by the new year) also
grows parsnips, and what their experience is.

I have tried clamping, but it doesn't help, as you can't clamp until
after the late summer flies have laid their eggs. All that happens
is that the burrowed carrots rot, and even less is usable than for
the unclamped ones.

I suffer from carrot fly, but they have never affected my parsnips. I
always follow the same procedure. Fist I make a hole with a pointed stick,
as deep as the top soil. I then fill this with with a stone free compost,
sow 3 or 4 seeds on top then cover. This works for me.

We also suffer from Carrot Fly and grow ours in an old water tank so it's
well above the ground. Even so the carrots do eventually get the fly but
very late in the year. We also grow Parsnips and whilst we used to do as
Broadback says, plant in filled holes, we now just draw a drill and plant in
that, thinning out as required although not much as I place the seeds a few
at each spacing. No problems so far. (famous last words!)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , BobHobden
writes
"Broadback" wrote

Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]

I grow carrots under wooden frames covered with Veggiemesh 1.5mm.
For the first time ever - no carrot fly - perfect carrots.
Parsnips Gladiator F1 from Moles Seeds primed and pelleted.
--
Chris
Old 04-04-2016, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 5:09:54 PM UTC, BobHobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote

We also suffer from Carrot Fly and grow ours in an old water tank so it's
well above the ground. Even so the carrots do eventually get the fly but
very late in the year. We also grow Parsnips and whilst we used to do as
Broadback says, plant in filled holes, we now just draw a drill and plant in
that, thinning out as required although not much as I place the seeds a few
at each spacing. No problems so far. (famous last words!)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

I just spread compost on the surface of the soil, sow the parsnip sead and cover with compost, press down and leve. I get a good crop every year.

Jonathan