Old 28-03-2016, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storm Katie damage?

Woke up to find out old Camellia tree ripped out of the ground. So sad to
see an old friend that dominated our small garden now covering literally
half of it, even sadder that it was in full flower. So lots of work when the
wind dies down before we can see what other damage has been done.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 28-03-2016, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/03/2016 08:58, BobHobden wrote:
Woke up to find out old Camellia tree ripped out of the ground. So sad
to see an old friend that dominated our small garden now covering
literally half of it, even sadder that it was in full flower. So lots of
work when the wind dies down before we can see what other damage has
been done.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Obviously as it has closed the M6 there has been a lot of rain and rind
here, however we slept through it. From the house I cannot see any
damage, too wet and windy to venture out yet!
Old 28-03-2016, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/03/2016 08:58, BobHobden wrote:
Woke up to find out old Camellia tree ripped out of the ground. So sad
to see an old friend that dominated our small garden now covering
literally half of it, even sadder that it was in full flower. So lots of
work when the wind dies down before we can see what other damage has
been done.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

So sorry to hear that, Bob. It's surprising how close one can feel to a
plant, esp an old friend. We both talk to one or two favourite trees
here, so I can imagine how gutted you feel.
I do hope there is no further damage.
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 28-03-2016, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 08:58:45 +0100, BobHobden wrote:

Woke up to find out old Camellia tree ripped out of the ground. So sad
to see an old friend that dominated our small garden now covering
literally half of it, even sadder that it was in full flower. So lots of
work when the wind dies down before we can see what other damage has
been done.

What a shame, hard to lose an old friend like that.

We did have damage, maybe more but not as personally felt. A greengage
that I planted in 2002 lost half the crown and split down the middle. It
was a poorly fruiting tree although large, and the split shows it was a
bad graft that would have eventually failed. PITA though, wasn't
planning on dealing with anything like this this late in the spring.

The most expensive thing was our wooden gate came unhooked in the wind
and broke, looks minor but complicated to fix correctly. We'll see what
the insurance says tomorrow. It happened some years ago and was covered,
but the gate is pretty old now.

We also lost a medium-sized beech down on a border, it had been growing
in a stream and rotted at the base, would have come down sooner or
later. Will make good firewood, but again not something I had planned to
deal with now...

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 29-03-2016, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Mar 2016 22:11:33 GMT,
Emery Davis wrote:

We also lost a medium-sized beech down on a border, it had been growing
in a stream and rotted at the base, would have come down sooner or
later. Will make good firewood, but again not something I had planned to
deal with now...

That kind of damage close-by surprises me.

I had secretly hoped, that our half rotten barn will come down
completely and the destruction costs be deminished, but no chance.

There is a little firewood waiting to be collected. All the trees look
alright so far (inclusive of the maples).

Wait! In the garden, the plastic film of two tunnels had to be
re-arranged and the young beetroots and turnips do not need to be
watered. But that's all, here.

However, we are more and more pressed to move in to our house although
we will for a long time regret to have lost the outside noise and
sensation of strong winds ... I have to restart the concrete mixer this
afternoon.

Michael
--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG brainpoolP512r1/5C2A258D 2015-10-02 [expires: 2017-10-01]

Old 30-03-2016, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BobHobden" wrote in message
Woke up to find out old Camellia tree ripped out of the ground. So sad to
see an old friend that dominated our small garden now covering literally
half of it, even sadder that it was in full flower. So lots of work when
the wind dies down before we can see what other damage has been done.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Not too bad here in Leics, escaped the worst. One Lilac and one damson tree
leaning. The damsons are maybe 60 years old, planted when the house was
built, so every time we have a bad storm another one bites the dust :-(