Old 09-04-2016, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suttons F1 Sungold

I planted two packets : 21 seeds

Only 9 germinated - (However, Suttons were very good and have sent me two fresh
packets)

That is the worst germination ratio I have ever had - I wondered what sort of
success others get from F1 tomatoes - particularly Suttons or other Sungolds.

Also - of the 9 which germinated - two of the seedlings are decidedly different
from the other 7 which look the same as normal Sungold.

I suspect that these two are not the true F1 hybrids - but some sort of the
off-spring of the components of the hybrid.

Anyone else ever had this?

(I spoke to Suttons about them and they have asked me to send photos - and keep
them informed as the "tomato" plants grow.)

Old 10-04-2016, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote in message

I planted two packets : 21 seeds

Only 9 germinated - (However, Suttons were very good and have sent me two fresh
packets)

That is the worst germination ratio I have ever had - I wondered what sort of
success others get from F1 tomatoes - particularly Suttons or other Sungolds.

Also - of the 9 which germinated - two of the seedlings are decidedly different
from the other 7 which look the same as normal Sungold.

I suspect that these two are not the true F1 hybrids - but some sort of the
off-spring of the components of the hybrid.

Anyone else ever had this?

I'm also growing Suttons Sungold and have had 100% germination with them.
Having said that, I have had to complain to Suttons about seed quantity where
the packet seed content has only been in the region of 65% of that quoted.
Giving them their due, they have resuplied the deficient seeds but like you Janet,
here in Scotland the time lost can be critical.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 10-04-2016, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in England wrote:

That is the worst germination ratio I have ever had - I wondered what sort of
success others get from F1 tomatoes - particularly Suttons or other Sungolds.

This is only a data point: I'm trying "Blondkopfchen" for the first time;
heirloom yellow cherry tomato; supposed to be _very_ vigorous and
productive. I got seed from two different folks, and germination has been
slow and erratic. When I looked the variety up online, it isn't just me-
the seeds are smaller than the larger types I grow, and perhaps cherry
tomato seeds are sized in proportion? I will have enough plants to try,
and I'm making sure they're kept warm, with a thermostatic control/heat
mat, keeping the soil @27-30C. (I got a handful of Chinese made soil
thermometers and didn't notice they were Celsius. Well, it's high time I
got used to it!).
My climate may not be as chilly as Scotland, but summer is all too short in
"upstate" New York (about 150 miles north of New York City, if you're
looking at a map) and I can't afford to waste time either.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"philgurr" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, senior moment, it's Judith not Janet and you are in England!

Phil

Old 10-04-2016, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 09:11:36 +0100, "philgurr"
wrote:

"philgurr" wrote in message

[...]

No probs - I wondered if one buys F1 hybrid Sungold from Suttons - will they be
to a "standard" F1 spec - or is there the possibility that F1s from Suttons may
be slightly different from F1s from say T&M?

Old 10-04-2016, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"philgurr" wrote in message

[...]

Technically F1 hybrid Sungold seed should be produced from the same two
parents that produced the original F1 cross - but in the international seed
market these days, one can never be certain. When I was in the commercial
wildflower seed market, I purchased guaranteed pure cowslip seed
from Holland. The plants from this seed were all colours of the rainbow and
subsequent investigation revealed that the seed stock plants had been grown
next to a bed of polyanthus!

Phil

Old 10-04-2016, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote

I planted two packets : 21 seeds

Only 9 germinated - (However, Suttons were very good and have sent me two
fresh
packets)

That is the worst germination ratio I have ever had - I wondered what sort
of
success others get from F1 tomatoes - particularly Suttons or other
Sungolds.

Also - of the 9 which germinated - two of the seedlings are decidedly
different
from the other 7 which look the same as normal Sungold.

I suspect that these two are not the true F1 hybrids - but some sort of the
off-spring of the components of the hybrid.

Anyone else ever had this?

(I spoke to Suttons about them and they have asked me to send photos - and
keep
them informed as the "tomato" plants grow.)

Not Toms but I have had similar this year with Chillies. Bought two packets
of seed and also planted some self saved seed, all at the same time. Within
a week the self saved seed was up, I estimate virtually 100%. Two weeks
later two chilli seedlings appeared in one of the bought seed pots and still
nothing from the other packet.
Noticed the same with carrots, self saved seed = superb quick germination,
bought seed very slow and patchy.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.