Old 21-04-2016, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ophiopogon root nodules

I have been digging up lots of Ophiopogon (black grassy-leaved lily)
which has been long established and beginning to take over other plants.
As I dug out the very deep roots, I found very many nodule-like pods
along the length of the root mass. If these behave as nitrogen-fixing
organs and can be safely left in the soil, then I'm not too worried.
However, if they all turn into masses of Ophiopogon plants and start to
take over the world, I shall be deeply concerned. Does anyone on urg
have experience with this plant? I would be really grateful for any advice.
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 21-04-2016, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

I have been digging up lots of Ophiopogon (black grassy-leaved lily)

I am pretty sure that it can't regrow from them - God alone knows what
they are there for. I am surprised that it has very deep roots with
you - they are very shallow with me, and my soil is lightish.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-04-2016, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:30:48 +0100, Spider wrote:

I have been digging up lots of Ophiopogon (black grassy-leaved lily)
which has been long established and beginning to take over other plants.
As I dug out the very deep roots, I found very many nodule-like pods
along the length of the root mass. If these behave as nitrogen-fixing
organs and can be safely left in the soil, then I'm not too worried.
However, if they all turn into masses of Ophiopogon plants and start to
take over the world, I shall be deeply concerned. Does anyone on urg
have experience with this plant? I would be really grateful for any advice.

There was a clump in my garden but it hasn't grown since I decided I
liked it!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 21-04-2016, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2016 13:37, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:

I have been digging up lots of Ophiopogon (black grassy-leaved lily)

I am pretty sure that it can't regrow from them - God alone knows what
they are there for. I am surprised that it has very deep roots with
you - they are very shallow with me, and my soil is lightish.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick, that's encouraging. These really are deep roots - I
nearly pulled up a kangaroo on one of them! I've had to dig so deep.

It seems odd that the roots are shallow on your soil, you would think
they'd need to put down a deeper anchor, not shallower, on light soil.

Anyhow, thanks for your input.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 21-04-2016, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2016 13:40, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:30:48 +0100, Spider wrote:

I have been digging up lots of Ophiopogon (black grassy-leaved lily)
which has been long established and beginning to take over other plants.
As I dug out the very deep roots, I found very many nodule-like pods
along the length of the root mass. If these behave as nitrogen-fixing
organs and can be safely left in the soil, then I'm not too worried.
However, if they all turn into masses of Ophiopogon plants and start to
take over the world, I shall be deeply concerned. Does anyone on urg
have experience with this plant? I would be really grateful for any advice.

There was a clump in my garden but it hasn't grown since I decided I
liked it!

Steve

Typical! Don't get me wrong, I do *quite* like it, especially when it
flowers; I just prefer to have a say in where it's growing. I could
always save you some, if you like, but I'd need your address to post it
.... unless you're likely to be in London in the near future.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Old 21-04-2016, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

I have been digging up lots of Ophiopogon (black grassy-leaved lily)
which has been long established and beginning to take over other plants.
As I dug out the very deep roots, I found very many nodule-like pods
along the length of the root mass. If these behave as nitrogen-fixing
organs and can be safely left in the soil, then I'm not too worried.
However, if they all turn into masses of Ophiopogon plants and start to
take over the world, I shall be deeply concerned. Does anyone on urg
have experience with this plant? I would be really grateful for any advice.

http://stories.rbge.org.uk/archives/tag/ophiopogon

says that the nodules retain water to survive drought.

I have patiently nurtured a large dense patch of ophiopogon
nigrescens, 3 or 4 ft across, grown as weed-beating ground cover beneath
Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy". In fact it's such a great ground cover
I'm trying it under a purple elder and under persicaria red dragon. I
don't find it hard to control so don't think you need worry about it
taking over the world :-)

Janet
Old 21-04-2016, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2016 16:02, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks, Janet, you have solved the mystery! I confess it is a good
ground cover plant and I can also imagine it looking well under a
white-barked birch, perhaps with snowdrops pushing through in
winter/spring. I do like the sound of your plant combinations, too. No
doubt mine was just in the wrong place. I haven't thrown it out yet, so
may try it elsewhere, especially now I know it won't take over the
world:~).

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Nodules on bay tree Mozie Gardening 2 29-12-2005 10:25 AM
Oak tree nodules Rick Gardening 11 21-08-2005 04:17 PM
[IBC] Root Nodules and Neea buxifolia Anil Kaushik Bonsai 4 14-09-2004 01:55 PM
[IBC] Root Nodules Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 6 10-09-2004 11:10 PM
[IBC] Root Nodules Anil Kaushik Bonsai 1 10-09-2004 11:18 AM