Old 13-05-2016, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Screening plant

Hi

I'm looking for ideas please for a plant to grow up against some
trellising that will give cover all year round.

In the Midlands.

The rear garden is south facing, and there is a gate in one corner at
the end. I have built a free standing trellis in front of the gate to
take the eye away from it.

I want to put something that will cover the trellis and hide the gate
all year round - but with a variety of colour, and perhaps some
flowering in the winter. That plant would be on the north face of the
trellis.

There is quite a lot of shade, but some sun at times during the day (on
the odd occasion that it shines!!).

Ideas gratefully accepted.

JP
Old 14-05-2016, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/05/2016 18:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:39:45 -0500, "JIP" wrote:

Hi

I'm looking for ideas please for a plant to grow up against some
trellising that will give cover all year round.

In the Midlands.

The rear garden is south facing, and there is a gate in one corner at
the end. I have built a free standing trellis in front of the gate to
take the eye away from it.

I want to put something that will cover the trellis and hide the gate
all year round - but with a variety of colour, and perhaps some
flowering in the winter. That plant would be on the north face of the
trellis.

There is quite a lot of shade, but some sun at times during the day (on
the odd occasion that it shines!!).

Ideas gratefully accepted.

JP

You don't say how tall your trellis is, but if it's masking a gate, I
assume about 6ft. I hope it's well supported with posts set good and
deep, otherwise it will blow down, given a decent gale.

Clematis Armandii might be good choice. Evergreen, white flowers early
in the year, some perfume. http://tinyurl.com/j56th9e Or you could try
Winter Jasmine, http://tinyurl.com/j56th9e. More ideas in these links
http://tinyurl.com/z4todet

Not being rude but why expect one plant to be so wonderful? if there was
such a plant we would all be propagating it like mad, either reduce your
expectations or simply plant more that one thing to achieve all the
desired effects.
Ie good evergreen cover plus something to gropw through it to give some
flowers

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 15-05-2016, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]

Sorry, yes it's about 6 feet. The trellis has been there a long time
already and is well supported.
Old 16-05-2016, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2016 11:46:40 -0500, "JIP" wrote:

You don't say how tall your trellis is, but if it's masking a gate, I
assume about 6ft. I hope it's well supported with posts set good and
deep, otherwise it will blow down, given a decent gale.

Clematis Armandii might be good choice. Evergreen, white flowers early
in the year, some perfume. http://tinyurl.com/j56th9e Or you could try
Winter Jasmine, http://tinyurl.com/j56th9e. More ideas in these links
http://tinyurl.com/z4todet

Sorry, yes it's about 6 feet. The trellis has been there a long time
already and is well supported.

Clematis Armandii is ideal for that.

Unfortunately, it isn't even suitable. It is very vigorous, and
loathes being cut back hard, so has a very limited lifetime in
constrained locations. Also, depending on how exposed the place
is to winter winds, it might not be hardy enough - it doesn't
like freezing winds at all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-05-2016, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 May 2016 13:31:12 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2016 10:00:38 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:
[...]

What is you alternative suggestion?

I was waiting for your reply. It was what I expected. Ours has been cut
back every year and thrives. It is exposed to icy winds every winter. It
is almost ten years old now. My daughter has one in an exposed position
and an even colder climate.

Do you have direct experience of growing Clematis Armandii? Is it
another plant you couldn't grow in freezing Cambridge?

We have 2 growing in North Yorkshire. Both well over 17 years old. One
is on the South side and one on the North side. We are over 1000'ASL.
The one on the North side has now died after the mildest winter we have
had for some years. It will be replaced like for like. Both have had
heavy pruning back to brown wood over the years.
Old 16-05-2016, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ermin Trude wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 13:31:12 +0200, Martin wrote:

Clematis Armandii is ideal for that.

Unfortunately, it isn't even suitable. It is very vigorous, and loathes
being cut back hard, so has a very limited lifetime in constrained
locations. Also, depending on how exposed the place is to winter winds,
it might not be hardy enough - it doesn't like freezing winds at all.

What is you alternative suggestion?

I wish I had one, because I have just such a requirement. I have grown
4-5 armandii, and have had to remove most because they got out of hand,
and eventually died back because I was pruning them too hard (i.e. to
stay in the space). The two I grew NOT against a wall both died after
a winter or two, and I know other people who have had exactly the same
experience (not just in Cambridge). I don't know exactly what the
conditions are that causes it, but freezing winds seem a part.

I grow Holboellia, Stauntonia, Lonicera henryi, Lonicera japonica,
Akebia quinata and have grown others, all of which are supposed to
be hardy and evergreen. None are the latter, except possibly the
L. henryi (I haven't had a hard winter since I planted it). The
Stauntonia and L. japonica heep their leaves, but only sort-of.

I am discounting Bignonia and Clematis cirrhosa, as I have never
grown those except against a wall.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-05-2016, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 May 2016 14:15:54 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Ermin Trude wrote:
[...]

If you don't mind prickly have you looked at a Pyracanthus? or Berberis?
Old 16-05-2016, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ermin Trude wrote:

If you don't mind prickly have you looked at a Pyracanthus? or Berberis?

In that position, I do. I had a nice rose, but removed it because
of its viciousness. Anyway, those aren't climbers and so are too
wide - you can keep climbers to +-6" of a wire fence.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.