Old 23-05-2016, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aquilegias completely missing this year?

Hello, normally there are plenty of aquilegias (mostly self sown) in our
mixed borders by this time of year; this year absolutely none have
appeared. Is anyone else having this problem?

Regards,
--
Colin - Winchester UK
Old 23-05-2016, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colin Brook" wrote in message
Hello, normally there are plenty of aquilegias (mostly self sown) in our
mixed borders by this time of year; this year absolutely none have
appeared. Is anyone else having this problem?

No. Mine came up fine. Did the slugs get at yours in early April?

Old 23-05-2016, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Colin Brook wrote:
Hello, normally there are plenty of aquilegias (mostly self sown) in our
mixed borders by this time of year; this year absolutely none have
appeared. Is anyone else having this problem?

Regards,

No help to you, I'm afraid, but mine have been out for a few weeks now.
Cheshire.
Old 25-05-2016, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/05/2016 15:31, Colin Brook wrote:
Hello, normally there are plenty of aquilegias (mostly self sown) in our
mixed borders by this time of year; this year absolutely none have
appeared. Is anyone else having this problem?

Regards,

Hi Colin,

I have not as many Aquilegias as usual and certainly no yellow or yellow
bi-colours, which I love. The cause is probably Downy Mildew, which has
been devastating Aquilegias for some years. See link:

http://www.touchwoodplants.co.uk/aqu...wny-mildew.htm

My remaining plants that look healthy are all the basic blue or pink A.
vulgaris, with very few exceptions. Wherever I find the sad remains of
a sick aquilegia, I dig up all traces of it and, generally, observe
garden hygiene. A couple of years ago I tried an acid feed to try to
irradicate what I thought was a mild fungal infection. Although this
gave me some breathing space, I've since read the Touchwood Plants site
and learned how devastating the problem is. I may try the acid feed
trick again very soon.

I am not planting new bought-in plants this year. If I have time, I may
try sowing some seed, but I'd rather have a year or two's lull in
Aquilegias, than risk never enjoying their beauty again.

If you decide to grow from seed, endeavour to put your new plants where
you've never grown them before. My worst losses were where I'd grown
*many* plants for many years, so I'm wondering if this is a form of
'plant sickness' similar to 'rose sickness'. Just a thought ...

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 26-05-2016, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Colin Brook wrote:
Hello, normally there are plenty of aquilegias (mostly self sown) in our
mixed borders by this time of year; this year absolutely none have
appeared. Is anyone else having this problem?

Regards,

Thanks very much for the confirmation of no problems in most case and
for the suggestions re slugs/downy mildew. We'll look into both and see
how things progress; great loss at the moment but maybe some of the new
plantings will succeed.

Thanks for inputs, much appreciated.

--
Colin - Winchester UK

Aquilegias Ann Lancing United Kingdom 8 01-06-2010 06:32 PM
should I avoid Phyllostachys aurea completely david fraleigh Bamboo 7 15-08-2003 07:02 PM
completely OT but it made me laugh Michael Berridge United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 09:30 PM
completely OT but it made me laugh Michael Berridge United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 09:08 AM
Will English Ivy thrive in completely full sun zone 5? Kevin Miller Gardening 2 10-06-2003 03:56 AM