Old 06-06-2016, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ivy on Silver Birch

Hi all

It must be the time of year - 2 posts on the same day!

We have a pretty mature silver birch in the corner of our garden.
Until yesterday it was covered in ivy to two thirds of its height.

The questions a

Does an ivy cover actually damage the tree? I noticed that some hidden
areas were damp and housing wood lice due to the cover. Maybe the
tendrils of the ivy suck nutrients from the host tree?

Also, I have a bird box on the side of the tree which had become
engulfed in ivy. Would this make the birds more wary, as there would be
perches for predators maybe?

Thanks

Phil
Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , thescullster
writes

Also, I have a bird box on the side of the tree which had become
engulfed in ivy. Would this make the birds more wary, as there would
be perches for predators maybe?

I have absolutely no knowledge of bird habits, except to say that we
have fairly substantial ivy covering an old outbuilding, and blackbirds
nest in the ivy every year. Drives cats and dogs insane, but the ivy,
although long established and substantial, will not support even a cat,
so the birds remain safe.
--
Graeme
Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 08:23:08 +0100, thescullster
wrote:

Hi all

It must be the time of year - 2 posts on the same day!

We have a pretty mature silver birch in the corner of our garden.
Until yesterday it was covered in ivy to two thirds of its height.

The questions a

Does an ivy cover actually damage the tree? I noticed that some hidden
areas were damp and housing wood lice due to the cover. Maybe the
tendrils of the ivy suck nutrients from the host tree?

Also, I have a bird box on the side of the tree which had become
engulfed in ivy. Would this make the birds more wary, as there would be
perches for predators maybe?

Thanks

Phil

AIUI ivy on trees is not a problem unless it gets so dense and
extensive that there is a danger it will cause the tree to topple, in
a winter gale for example. But that's unusual. The tendrils or 'roots'
that you see along the ivy stems are not roots in the usual sense, in
that the ivy does not use them for drawing nourishment from the tree;
their only purpose is to cling on to whatever the ivy is climbing.

I doubt that the ivy would make the birds more wary of using the box;
On the contrary in fact, it would provide more camouflage and make the
birds feel safer, provided of course they can gain entry and the hole
isn't covered or blocked. The insects that live in the ivy are a
source of food for birds.

If you don't want the ivy there, for cosmetic reasons, just cut
through the ivy stems where they come out of the ground at the base of
the tree. The ivy will die and look unsightly for a while until all
the leaves have browned and dropped, but after that all that will be
left will be bare ivy stems, which can either be left on the tree or
removed after a year or two. Kill any new growth that comes from the
base.

A 60 foot ash tree (just outside the end of my back garden) was suddenly
killed by ivy.

One spring, it had just started to come into leaf, when I noticed they
were withering. I found that the ivy which had been growing up it had
got under the bark (a few feet off the ground), and lifted it -
effectively ring-barking it.

There's another ash about 20 feet away, so I occasionally pop over the
fence and chop any ivy trying to gain a foothold.

--
Ian
Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 20:59:01 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

A 60 foot ash tree (just outside the end of my back garden) was suddenly
killed by ivy.

One spring, it had just started to come into leaf, when I noticed they
were withering. I found that the ivy which had been growing up it had
got under the bark (a few feet off the ground), and lifted it -
effectively ring-barking it.

Did the ivy lift the bark, or was the bark already lifting and the ivy
just grew into the space?

I can't be certain. but the bark was thick, gnarly and 'corky'.

I ask, because I have a substantial Olearia
Traversii that is dying and the bark is lifting at the base of the
trunk, but there's no ivy there causing or helping it to lift. It's
diseased.

The tree wasn't visibly diseased. Most likely the ivy just got into some
cracks in the bark.
--
Ian
Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

You didn't think it might be Ash Die-Back (Chalara fraxinea)??
I believe this disease is reportable.
The poor ivy was probably innocent.
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-06-2016, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ian Jackson wrote:

A 60 foot ash tree (just outside the end of my back garden) was suddenly
killed by ivy.

One spring, it had just started to come into leaf, when I noticed they
were withering. I found that the ivy which had been growing up it had
got under the bark (a few feet off the ground), and lifted it -
effectively ring-barking it.

I have never ring barked a tree, but if I did shouldn't I expect it to
sprout vigorously from the base as if coppiced? If you cut down an ash
and leave the stump, it will definitely do that. This does not convince
me the ivy was at fault.

Peter
Old 11-06-2016, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2016 22:47, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Spider
writes
wrote:

[...]

This was about 10 years ago - so before Ash Die-Back was 'invented'.

Around here (S Bucks) - or, for that matter, anywhere else - I've yet to
see any signs of Ash Die-Back.

The poor ivy was probably innocent.

No way! It was caught red-handed - on the job - in delicto flagrante (so
to speak). I did remove it carefully from where the bark had been
lifted, in the hope that the trunk would heal up (some trees seem to be
able to do this) - but the victim had been mortally wounded.

Well, it wasn't Ash Die-Back, then!

I'd still be surprised if the ivy killed the tree. Ivies only cling to
trees, they don't feed via the bark. However the ivy roots do feed in
close proximity to the tree and therefore deplete the available food,
but I would expect an Ash tree to starve the ivy, not the other way
round. I suspect another cause, though, such as a lightning strike or
some critter ripping the bark off. *Then* the ivy might start to grip
the tree under the bark.

As to ivy killing trees, it tends only to happen when the mature ivy
(with larger leaves) is growing in the crown of the tree. In wet and
windy weather, the extra windage on the large leaves is enough to cause
the tree to topple, especially when coupled with saturated soil.

Provided you can keep the ivy out of the crown of your silver birch, you
should have no problems.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 11-06-2016, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Peter Robinson wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:

A 60 foot ash tree (just outside the end of my back garden) was suddenly
killed by ivy.

One spring, it had just started to come into leaf, when I noticed they
were withering. I found that the ivy which had been growing up it had
got under the bark (a few feet off the ground), and lifted it -
effectively ring-barking it.

I have never ring barked a tree, but if I did shouldn't I expect it to
sprout vigorously from the base as if coppiced? If you cut down an ash
and leave the stump, it will definitely do that. This does not convince
me the ivy was at fault.

Not all trees will do that, but ash will. As people said, it is very
unlikely indeed that the ivy killed the tree - while it can happen,
it could not possibly get under ash bark (which is very 'tight') and
lift it. There are a zillion fungal, bacterial and similar diseases
that show up as lifting bark.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

As to ivy killing trees, it tends only to happen when the mature ivy
(with larger leaves) is growing in the crown of the tree. In wet and
windy weather, the extra windage on the large leaves is enough to cause
the tree to topple, especially when coupled with saturated soil.

It does that only when the tree is growing very slowly - no way
can ivy keep up with a healthy silver birch! I believe that it
can grow completely round a tree and strangle it, but I have never
seen that - it's extremely rare if it happens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Peter Robinson wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:

A 60 foot ash tree (just outside the end of my back garden) was suddenly
killed by ivy.

One spring, it had just started to come into leaf, when I noticed they
were withering. I found that the ivy which had been growing up it had
got under the bark (a few feet off the ground), and lifted it -
effectively ring-barking it.

I have never ring barked a tree, but if I did shouldn't I expect it to
sprout vigorously from the base as if coppiced? If you cut down an ash
and leave the stump, it will definitely do that. This does not convince
me the ivy was at fault.

Not all trees will do that, but ash will. As people said, it is very
unlikely indeed that the ivy killed the tree - while it can happen,
it could not possibly get under ash bark (which is very 'tight') and
lift it.

Well, the bark WAS lifted, and the ivy WAS growing under it. Of course,
it's possible that the bark had been 'mechanically' damaged - but the
tree was rather inaccessible, and I can't think of anything that would
have done it.

There are a zillion fungal, bacterial and similar diseases
that show up as lifting bark.

Yes, it could have been - but I'm sure the ivy did the main killing.

However, at the time, both trees were growing well. At one time, both
had been at least 50' high, and then were lopped to around 30'. After
that, their growth went absolutely berserk, and soon both were back to
at least their original height.

And then, as I said, one suddenly started wilting soon after coming into
leaf. Its mate (about 25' away) continued alone (minus the ivy, on which
I made a pre-emptive strike) - and it is now 65 - maybe 70 - feet high.

The dead ash was cut down (I now recall it was 2003), and its stump was
left around 6' high. It has shown no signs of sprouting. After a couple
of years, where its roots extended into my garden, there was a
considerable growth of large clumps of orange mushrooms. As I had
various bushes nearby, I thought it would be wise to discourage it in
future (Weedol worked well), and these days I only get the odd mushroom
or two.

--
Ian
Old 12-06-2016, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/16 18:48, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:

As to ivy killing trees, it tends only to happen when the mature ivy
(with larger leaves) is growing in the crown of the tree. In wet and
windy weather, the extra windage on the large leaves is enough to cause
the tree to topple, especially when coupled with saturated soil.

It does that only when the tree is growing very slowly - no way
can ivy keep up with a healthy silver birch! I believe that it
can grow completely round a tree and strangle it, but I have never
seen that - it's extremely rare if it happens.

Ivy behaving like a "strangler fig", eh? Can't say I've ever seen it
happening, either. It seems to me that ivy tends to grow up rather than
round (strangler figs grow down /and/ round, of course). I have a few
trees, mainly conifers, which have been taken over by ivy - one in
particular has a lot more ivy leaves than conifer leaves! But I'll have
a look later to see if there are any encircling growths, rather than
well-spaced "spiral" growths, which I would perhaps expect, and which
would not strangle the tree they are growing on.

The main problem with ivy on conifers is that they disfigure them; once
the tree's lower growth has been smothered, it never grows back, and
even higher up the tree eventually looks like it has the arboreal
equivalent of mange!

I think the OP's finding of ivy under the bark was coincidental to the
bark already being damaged by some pathogen. Ivy will happily find its
way into any gap - roof tiles being a favourite. There is a galvanised
steel coal bunker here, and I was amazed to find ivy growing /inside/
it. It had found its way in through a tiny gap in an overlapping corner
seam at the bottom of the bunker, and was growing up to reach the light
allowed in by the ill-fitting cover.

--

Jeff
Old 12-06-2016, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ian Jackson wrote:

The dead ash was cut down (I now recall it was 2003), and its stump was
left around 6' high. It has shown no signs of sprouting. After a couple
of years, where its roots extended into my garden, there was a
considerable growth of large clumps of orange mushrooms. As I had
various bushes nearby, I thought it would be wise to discourage it in
future (Weedol worked well), and these days I only get the odd mushroom
or two.

Are you saying you used Weedol to control the mushrooms?

Peter
Old 12-06-2016, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Peter Robinson
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:

The dead ash was cut down (I now recall it was 2003), and its stump was
left around 6' high. It has shown no signs of sprouting. After a couple
of years, where its roots extended into my garden, there was a
considerable growth of large clumps of orange mushrooms. As I had
various bushes nearby, I thought it would be wise to discourage it in
future (Weedol worked well), and these days I only get the odd mushroom
or two.

Are you saying you used Weedol to control the mushrooms?

Yes. I gave them a quick spray, and they soon started to shrivel-up.
Next day, they were totally wrecked. The following year, there were far
fewer - and rarely any since then.

Or am I doing the wrong thing by inhibiting the natural decomposition of
the ash root system - which, of course, is considerable?
--
Ian
Old 12-06-2016, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Ivy behaving like a "strangler fig", eh? Can't say I've ever seen it
happening, either. It seems to me that ivy tends to grow up rather than
round (strangler figs grow down /and/ round, of course).

Right. I have seen ivy fork and rejoin, like a strangler fig, but
never enough to form a complete circuit. I have seen it distort
the growth of a tree, so I deduce that strangling a tree is (in
theory) possible a few times in a million.

I think the OP's finding of ivy under the bark was coincidental to the
bark already being damaged by some pathogen. Ivy will happily find its
way into any gap - roof tiles being a favourite. ...

Absolutely. If he could provide serious evidence of his hypothesis,
it would be publishable in an academic journal as a phenomenon new to
science.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Rot discovered in Birch tree - Bronze Birch Borer ? Some Guy Lawns 6 11-07-2004 08:02 PM
Rot discovered in Birch tree - Bronze Birch Borer ? Some Guy Gardening 6 11-07-2004 08:02 PM
Pollarding silver birch trees. David C United Kingdom 1 06-12-2002 09:26 AM