Old 13-06-2016, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default slug attack

Cordial greetings to all.

I have a tray of seedlings growing and to avoid incursion by slugs I
have placed the pots on an upturned seed tray which is positioned in a
much larger tray. This tray is half filled with water to establish a
moated defence. All this is within the greenhouse.

Job done? Not so, as I have just observed the behaviour of an
enterprising slug that had scaled the greenhouse frame on the inside and
set off from a metal strut that overhangs the seed tray by lowering
itself on a thread of slime extruded from an orifice on its rear end.
The thread was similar in appearance to spider silk and eventually
extended fo about 1.5 metres. The slug itself was about 2 cm in length.
Said slug was apprehended and relocated. So, working on the notion that
any further incursions would have to be anchored to a structural feature
and not a glass pane, I have repositioned the seed tray.

Has anybody else noticed this kind of behaviour?

Steve

Old 13-06-2016, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 10:25:05 AM UTC+1, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Ha; very clever these slugs Steve but no I have none so clever as yours. My bird visitors see mine off to be honest.
Old 13-06-2016, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I found a snail on the front bumper of my car yesterday, and if it had
crawled there, it must have been some sort of odyssey.
Old 13-06-2016, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

I'm informed that it was a Ninja slug.
I don't know how many birds will tackle slugs, but once watched a song
thrush having a go. It took quite a while and and seemed to be a
difficult exercise compared with dealing with snails.

Old 14-06-2016, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve B" wrote in message
Cordial greetings to all.

I have a tray of seedlings growing and to avoid incursion by slugs I
have placed the pots on an upturned seed tray which is positioned in a
much larger tray. This tray is half filled with water to establish a
moated defence. All this is within the greenhouse.

Don't you mean you have your trays on the upturned pots rather than
vice-versa?

Job done? Not so, as I have just observed the behaviour of an
enterprising slug that had scaled the greenhouse frame on the inside and
set off from a metal strut that overhangs the seed tray by lowering
itself on a thread of slime extruded from an orifice on its rear end.
The thread was similar in appearance to spider silk and eventually
extended fo about 1.5 metres. The slug itself was about 2 cm in length.
Said slug was apprehended and relocated. So, working on the notion that
any further incursions would have to be anchored to a structural feature
and not a glass pane, I have repositioned the seed tray.

Has anybody else noticed this kind of behaviour?

Yes. Slugs still manage to invade greenhouses. Just one loose rogue
sheltering in your greenhouse can inflict enough damage. One can use your
method, except I 'd use beer. Or simply sprinkling a few slug pellets near
and around seed trays should suffice.