Old 14-07-2016, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Missing gooseberries

I had a really good crop of Gooseberries last week, but in a matter of 5
days all the fruit has gone from 24 bushes.
Any ideas?
No footprint of any sort in the soil

Old 15-07-2016, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

I had a really good crop of Gooseberries last week, but in a matter of 5
days all the fruit has gone from 24 bushes.
Any ideas?
No footprint of any sort in the soil

Maybe the thieves arrived by air? I've seen flocks of fieldfares
strip large crops of holly rowan and elder berries in a couple of hours.

Janet.
Old 15-07-2016, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 11:05:13 PM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
I had a really good crop of Gooseberries last week, but in a matter of 5
days all the fruit has gone from 24 bushes.
Any ideas?
No footprint of any sort in the soil

Squirrels? They took most of my plums last year, just as they ripened.
Old 15-07-2016, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/15/2016 5:17 AM, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

I had a really good crop of Gooseberries last week, but in a matter of 5
days all the fruit has gone from 24 bushes.
Any ideas?
No footprint of any sort in the soil

Maybe the thieves arrived by air? I've seen flocks of fieldfares
strip large crops of holly rowan and elder berries in a couple of hours.

Very early one morning (4 to 5 am), I saw a small army of hoodies strip
every single rowan berry from every one of my rowan trees. Had I stayed
in bed until 6, I would not have known what caused all the berries to
disappear.

Old 15-07-2016, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

I had a really good crop of Gooseberries last week, but in a matter of 5
days all the fruit has gone from 24 bushes.
Any ideas?
No footprint of any sort in the soil

Ours are getting eaten too, looks like either a thrush, although he seems to
prefer our cherries and gets in and out our fruits cage somehow, or a
blackbird. Have found obvious bird damaged half eaten berries on other
parts of the allotment.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.