Old 18-07-2016, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Transplanting an 8ft apple tree in midsummer?

I've heard that the advisable time to transplant a tree is in spring or autumn. If I do it in midsummer, how much more risky is this? I'd really like to get the old tree moved so I can plant a different tree in the same place as soon as possible.

Thanks...
JD
Old 19-07-2016, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 3:44:00 PM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 7:08:40 AM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
On 18/07/2016 22:03,
wrote:
I've heard that the advisable time to transplant a tree is in spring or autumn. If I do it in midsummer, how much more risky is this? I'd really like to get the old tree moved so I can plant a different tree in the same place as soon as possible.

Thanks...
JD

8ft tree means nothing.
How old is it?
I'd say you might as well dig it up, chop it up and burn it if you want
it out of the way at this time of year.

Thanks. It's hard to say how old it is. I bought it as a potted sapling in Spring 2015 and at that time, it was about 5 to 6 ft tall. I've no idea how old it was at that time.
JD

In that case you might well be able to move it successfully next
winter, when it's dormant . Make sure you dig the new hole first, then
dig a big rootball of earth with the tree so that the roots are as
little disturbed or exposed as possible.

If you move it in summer or spring when its in active growth it's
unlikely to survive.

Janet

Thanks Janet! I seem to remember you from years ago. Did you used to go by the name 'Spider'? Or was that another fruit-tree-loving lady? ISTR, you always gave great advice on fruit trees (including the very one in question)!
JD

Old 19-07-2016, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

No, that's some relative newcomer.

I've been here for about 20 years always as my real name

Janet.
Old 20-07-2016, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet
writes
In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Didn't you sign yourself as Janet Barraclough (or Baraclough)?

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 20-07-2016, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

In message , Janet
writes
In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

I've always signed posts Janet. My surname appeared on my garden pages
in the urg webring and you may have seen it mentioned in posts by other
posters to distinguish me from Janet Tweedy who used to post here.

Janet.
Old 23-07-2016, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 14:03:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've heard that the advisable time to transplant a tree is in spring or
autumn. If I do it in midsummer, how much more risky is this? I'd really
like to get the old tree moved so I can plant a different tree in the
same place as soon as possible.

Thanks...
JD

I'm not clear whether you're concerned for the tree you're about to
dig up, or the tree you're going to put in its place.

If the former, now is not a good time, especially with the very hot
weather we're having ATM. In fact I can't think of a worse time, but
if you must...

First, dig the hole that you're going to transplant it into, and fill
it with water. This is so that you can put the tree straight into the
hole when you've dug it up, and it doesn't sit about in the hot sun
while you're preparing it's new site.

Now water the tree very well, and let the water soak into the soil for
several hours before you do anything, so that the soil around the
roots is good and damp. Then drive a sharp spade straight down all
round the base of the tree, about 12 - 18 inches out from the trunk,
to sever all the long roots. Then dig a trench all round on the
outside of the cut, about 12 inches deep, and start to cut under the
tree to sever the deep roots. Work some sacking or a large compost bag
under the root ball and bring the edges up all around the trunk and
tie with string. You, or preferably you and an assistant, should now
be able to lift the tree out of the hole and move it to it's new
position. Drop it in the new hole, remove the string and sacking or
compost bag, and back fill all around. Make sure that the old soil
level around the trunk is the same as the soil level at the new
position, i.e. don't bury the root ball, or have it standing proud.
Firm it in well by treading all round, and water well. Water it at
least twice a week for several weeks while the new roots grow and get
established. Erecting some form of artificial shading, or covering the
tree with fine netting to keep the sun off, would be a good idea in
this hot weather.

When planting the new tree, first water it well in it's pot. Then
knock the pot off the root ball, and examine the root-ball to see if
it's pot-bound. If it is, like this
http://tinyurl.com/hdnr82p then
tease out and loosen the roots as here http://tinyurl.com/z5bk98c so
that the root-ball looks good and shaggy. Fill the hole with water.
When it's soaked away, put the new tree into the hole and back-fill
with soil, making sure you keep the top of the root-ball at soil
level, as above. Firm in etc. also as above. Keep well watered for the
next few weeks.

Two more points. You should think about digging some compost into the
new site for old tree, and the old site for the new tree, before
planting either. You should also think about staking the trees, when
you should drive the stake in before you plant the them
http://tinyurl.com/m5arxse.

Lastly, pray!

JD, I believe it would be ten times easier to leave the tree in situ and
move home.

Old 31-07-2016, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Hi JD,

This is the arachnid in question. Sorry, I've been very busy in the
garden and with life in general, so not looked in here very much.

You've had some great advice from the others and esp. Chris Hogg. I
would only add that you might prune the crown of your apple tree to
lighten its workload while it is attempting to re-establish itself.
Next spring, enjoy the blossom but consider removing any setting fruit
until the tree is better able to support a crop of apples. If, because
it's a newish tree and you're anxious to try the fruit, just leave one
or two fruits to grow on and remove the rest. You also need to know if
your tree is tip or spur bearing, as this will affect how you prune it.
If you know the name of the apple type (ie James Grieves, Spartan, etc),
then you can probably learn this on line from one of the apple tree
nurseries.
It's always worth remembering that you prune in summer to control growth
and in winter (when the tree is dormant) to encourage growth. The fact
that you will be summer pruning this year seems to be appropriate. You
can move to winter pruning when you're certain that your tree is
established and flourishing once more.

Hope this helps.
--
Spider