Old 18-08-2016, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default what plant might I help to grow wild on the Isle of Lewis?

Derek wrote:
Its quite possible that they have finished their flowering, so cut the
fuchsia down by two thirds, water and feed, and they may well be
flowing again by October. A grower I know opens his garden for the NGS
in June where he has 150 varieties of fuchsia on show, day after, cuts
down all the plants by a third, de leaves them (that's a mammoth job)
and they are all back for his Autumn NGS open day!

In the 12 days since I cut them right back (I was brutal!) they have
produced masses of fresh green shoots and look like they are going to be
bigger and stronger.

i never would have dreamed of hacking a plant to pieces like this but it
certainly seems to have given it a kick up the arse!