Old 03-08-2016, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default what plant might I help to grow wild on the Isle of Lewis?

I live in a rural area on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland, and there's a
piece of land that while it doesn't belong to me is kind of my
responsibility to keep kempt - a wide verge between my fence and the road.
Although there's no pronounced slope from side to side, it's not flat and I
don't want the bother of having to strim or mow it.

What fast-growing bushes might I sow there? Ideally I would like something
like wild fuchsia. There isn't a lot of it on the island, as there is in
parts of rural Ireland, but there is some. Gorse would also be nice.

I'd be grateful for advice or suggestions. I'm looking for something

* that doesn't require tending or pruning

* that grows fast, perhaps to a height of 3-5 feet (although a shorter
height would also be OK - wild fuchsia is lovely, as is gorse, but what's
most important is ground coverage), and

* that either grows on the island wild already or is similar to plants that
do, or at least fits in with those that do, and

* that I can buy a big bag of seeds for for scattering by hand, or
alternatively if it grows already on the island, that I can gather seeds
for from existing plants growing wild.

Many thanks for any help with this.

Harry
Old 03-08-2016, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Harold Davis wrote in
:

I live in a rural area on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland, and there's a
piece of land that while it doesn't belong to me is kind of my
responsibility to keep kempt - a wide verge between my fence and the
road. Although there's no pronounced slope from side to side, it's
not flat and I don't want the bother of having to strim or mow it.

(snip)

I should have added: the area is about 4-5 metres wide and 50-60 metres
long! A small part of it already has some low-lying green flowers that I
don't know the name of.

Harry
Old 03-08-2016, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 12:01:12 PM UTC+1, Harold Davis wrote:
[...]

I would be very wary of introducing a plant that doesn't already grow on the island.

Jonathan
Old 03-08-2016, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/2016 12:05, Harold Davis wrote:
Harold Davis wrote in
:

I live in a rural area on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland, and there's a
piece of land that while it doesn't belong to me is kind of my
responsibility to keep kempt - a wide verge between my fence and the
road. Although there's no pronounced slope from side to side, it's
not flat and I don't want the bother of having to strim or mow it.

(snip)

I should have added: the area is about 4-5 metres wide and 50-60 metres
long! A small part of it already has some low-lying green flowers that I
don't know the name of.

Harry

"low-lying green flowers" isn't very precise, but green flowers (if
meant literally) are relatively uncommon, so it is Alchemilla - either
the garden escape Alchemilla mollis, or one of the native species (you
might have Alchemilla alpina up there)?

Any advice really depends on ground conditions - is it sandy, or rocky
or peaty, is it wet, or dry?

--
SRH
Old 03-08-2016, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

Knowing Lewis well, my first thought is NOT gorse but broom which alraedy grows
on the Island. It has flowered well up here this year and the seed will be ready soon
for collection.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 03-08-2016, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in news:nnsr1n
:

[...]

Thanks for this. Well at least the information was enough for you to
identify the genus They look like Alchemilla mollis; definitely not
Alchemilla alpina.

Any advice really depends on ground conditions - is it sandy, or rocky
or peaty, is it wet, or dry?

It's peaty. No sand. We get an average of maybe 50 inches of rain a year,
but the site itself isn't wet. It's well drained. It runs parallel to and
slightly higher than the road and has a gravel-filled drainage ditch
along the middle.

Harry
Old 03-08-2016, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Harold Davis wrote:
[...]

I personally wouldn't have 50m by 4m of the same thing, why not plant gorse
(or broom which has been suggested) in 3 or 4 metre patches and infil 3 or 4
metre patches with wild fuchsia. Cuttings would be better for fuchsias
although they're not very fast growing, I'd put 20 or 30 cuttings in each
patch as some are bound not to take / survive.
Never grown broom or gorse so have no ideas on this.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/3/2016 1:18 PM, Phil L wrote:

I personally wouldn't have 50m by 4m of the same thing, why not plant gorse
(or broom which has been suggested) in 3 or 4 metre patches and infil 3 or 4
metre patches with wild fuchsia. Cuttings would be better for fuchsias
although they're not very fast growing, I'd put 20 or 30 cuttings in each
patch as some are bound not to take / survive.
Never grown broom or gorse so have no ideas on this.

I would definitely NOT plant gorse! It's evil stuff, and spreads
rapidly, whether or not you want it to. There's a lot of it on the
common grazings surrounding our property, and I spend far too much time
trying to get rid of volunteer seedlings.

Broom though, is just as pretty, and doesn't rip your skin to shreds if
you need to cut it back.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/3/2016 1:49 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
wrote:
On 8/3/2016 1:18 PM, Phil L wrote:
I personally wouldn't have 50m by 4m of the same thing, why not plant gorse
(or broom which has been suggested) in 3 or 4 metre patches and infil 3 or 4
metre patches with wild fuchsia. Cuttings would be better for fuchsias
although they're not very fast growing, I'd put 20 or 30 cuttings in each
patch as some are bound not to take / survive.
Never grown broom or gorse so have no ideas on this.

I would definitely NOT plant gorse! It's evil stuff, and spreads
rapidly, whether or not you want it to. There's a lot of it on the
common grazings surrounding our property, and I spend far too much time
trying to get rid of volunteer seedlings.
Broom though, is just as pretty, and doesn't rip your skin to shreds if
you need to cut it back.

Broom is also a legume with root nodules that supply nitrogen, so will
grow on poor soil.

Yes, and it comes in a number of colour combinations, not just the usual
bright yellow.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 11:01:11 -0000 (UTC), Harold Davis
wrote:

Ideally I would like something like wild fuchsia.

Hardy wild Fuchsia, would work, but you would need to use one year old
plants, planted deep (ie , with the bottom third below ground, even if
that means covering leaves). That way in the first winter the rootball
is protected, after that not a lot to do, except stand back and
admire.
But thats a big space, maybe get something else as well.

Lincoln and District Fuchsia Society
www.http://lincolnfuchsiasociety.info/

Old 05-08-2016, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 10:45:21 +0100, Derek
wrote:

Ideally I would like something like wild fuchsia.

Adding to my previous post, if you did want to use fuchsia, suggest
you take hardwood cuttings, one large bush could quite easily produce
a couple of hundred cuttings, taken in September, 4" long, plunged
into the ground, left to next spring and you may be pleasantly
surprised how many will have rooted, ready to be moved on to your
plot.

Lincoln and District Fuchsia Society

Old 05-08-2016, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Ideally I would like something like wild fuchsia.

Adding to my previous post, if you did want to use fuchsia, suggest
you take hardwood cuttings, one large bush could quite easily produce
a couple of hundred cuttings, taken in September, 4" long, plunged
into the ground, left to next spring and you may be pleasantly
surprised how many will have rooted, ready to be moved on to your
plot.

Lincoln and District Fuchsia Society

Hi Derek, a couple of my fuchsias aren't doing too good while others are
going berserk, they've all had the same treatment, feed, water, piching out
etc.
Three from six of my Sir Matt Busbys have all but died - they all started
off with a profusion of flowers and I've been dead-heading them all the
same, three have stopped producing while the other three are producing even
more.

one of them has battered and bruised leaves, as does another completely red
fuchsia that I don't know the name of, the leaves appear to have been shot
with a shotgun, thousands of tiny holes, some joined to other holes. I've
checked for pests and can't see any

Old 06-08-2016, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 20:06:32 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

Three from six of my Sir Matt Busbys have all but died - they all started
off with a profusion of flowers and I've been dead-heading them all the
same, three have stopped producing while the other three are producing even
more.

Its quite possible that they have finished their flowering, so cut the
fuchsia down by two thirds, water and feed, and they may well be
flowing again by October. A grower I know opens his garden for the NGS
in June where he has 150 varieties of fuchsia on show, day after, cuts
down all the plants by a third, de leaves them (that's a mammoth job)
and they are all back for his Autumn NGS open day!

one of them has battered and bruised leaves, as does another completely red
fuchsia that I don't know the name of, the leaves appear to have been shot
with a shotgun, thousands of tiny holes, some joined to other holes.

Have you checked at night? Do as I say above, its very difficult to
kill a fuchsia (expect possibly with kindness)

I have grown 'Sir Matt Busbys' not a great fan, suggest if you see a
fuchsia with a celebrity name, you leave it alone, there are over
11,000 different varieties

For anyone here who would like to visit my forum, you need to log in
to see the best bits

Login with

Name fuchsia
password Ng2016

Old 06-08-2016, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Cheers for the info Derek. My keyboard died as I was typing and I'd no time
last night to source new batteries.

I've taken a few leaves off and checked under a magnifying glass, there does
appear to be insect activity, droppings and obvious trails of bite holes but
no actual bugs.

I'll cut down the affected ones by two thirds and de-leave them, but still
can't work out why these seem to have finished while others bought at the
same time are still producing masses of blooms, not just the pest ridden
ones but a few others too that show no sign of infestation.

SMB was purchased solely because I wanted red and white hanging to go with
upright Snowcaps in the same baskets. I'm not an expert in any way (as you
may have noticed!) but my cunning plan was to have the red and white
Snowcaps in the middle with SMB around the edges to create a sort of 'ball'
of red and white. They've turned out pretty good and I've taken dozens of
cuttings of both plus quite a few others successfully following your advice
from last year.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

[...]

I'd suggest single-flower (bee-friendly) rugosa roses.Here on Arran
they grow right down to the beach. They are tough, hardy, fast, salt and
wind tolerant, pest resistant, have a long flowering period followed by
huge red hips (winter food for birds). They sucker freely from the
roots so quite rapidly colonise an area, shading out weeds. If you need
to prune them for height or bushiness just do it with a hedgecutter, but
they need very little attention.
They come in various shades, white, pale pink and deep pink; you can
buy them cheaply in bulk (bare-root) from hedge suppliers or if any grow
locally, they are easily propagated from seed or dug up suckers. ( There
are excellent double forms but those might look a little bit too
cultivated for your strip)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_rugosa

Janet