Old 16-08-2016, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climber ID

This climber was in the walled garden at Gunby Hall in south east Lincs.
It was covering, and growing over the top of, a 3 metre wall. It
extended along the wall around 7 or 8 metres IIRC. The largest leaves
approach 15 cm in length. The flowers are around 2 - 2.5 cm across.

Plant:
http://tinypic.com/r/23uzw4p/9

Flower:
http://tinypic.com/r/33kdkj5/9

Any ideas what it is?

--

Jeff
Old 17-08-2016, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/2016 15:56, Jeff Layman wrote:
This climber was in the walled garden at Gunby Hall in south east Lincs.
It was covering, and growing over the top of, a 3 metre wall. It
extended along the wall around 7 or 8 metres IIRC. The largest leaves
approach 15 cm in length. The flowers are around 2 - 2.5 cm across.

Plant:
http://tinypic.com/r/23uzw4p/9

Flower:
http://tinypic.com/r/33kdkj5/9

Any ideas what it is?

TinyPic seems to be more enthusiastic about serving advertisements and
clickbait than it is about showing photographs.

--
SRH
Old 17-08-2016, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/16 23:38, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 16/08/2016 15:56, Jeff Layman wrote:
This climber was in the walled garden at Gunby Hall in south east Lincs.
It was covering, and growing over the top of, a 3 metre wall. It
extended along the wall around 7 or 8 metres IIRC. The largest leaves
approach 15 cm in length. The flowers are around 2 - 2.5 cm across.

Plant:
http://tinypic.com/r/23uzw4p/9

Flower:
http://tinypic.com/r/33kdkj5/9

Any ideas what it is?

TinyPic seems to be more enthusiastic about serving advertisements and
clickbait than it is about showing photographs.

--
SRH

Yes, TinyPic has got worse recently, but at least you don't have to sign
up to use it. And, like many webpages, it seems that Flash is
unfortunately far from dead.

Anyway, and idea what the plant is - even a guess to what Family it
belongs to?

--

Jeff
Old 17-08-2016, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote

This climber was in the walled garden at Gunby Hall in south east Lincs.
It was covering, and growing over the top of, a 3 metre wall. It
extended along the wall around 7 or 8 metres IIRC. The largest leaves
approach 15 cm in length. The flowers are around 2 - 2.5 cm across.

Plant:
http://tinypic.com/r/23uzw4p/9

Flower:
http://tinypic.com/r/33kdkj5/9

Any ideas what it is?

Something about those flowers says Cucurbit to me.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-08-2016, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2016 07:56, BobHobden wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote

This climber was in the walled garden at Gunby Hall in south east
Lincs. It was covering, and growing over the top of, a 3 metre wall.
It extended along the wall around 7 or 8 metres IIRC. The largest
leaves approach 15 cm in length. The flowers are around 2 - 2.5 cm
across.

Plant:
http://tinypic.com/r/23uzw4p/9

Flower:
http://tinypic.com/r/33kdkj5/9

Any ideas what it is?

Something about those flowers says Cucurbit to me.

I agree but don't know of any multi flowered Cucurbit.
Why not email a picture to Gunby hall saying where you took the pic and
ask them what it is.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay

Old 17-08-2016, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/16 09:03, David Hill wrote:
On 17/08/2016 07:56, BobHobden wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote

This climber was in the walled garden at Gunby Hall in south east
Lincs. It was covering, and growing over the top of, a 3 metre wall.
It extended along the wall around 7 or 8 metres IIRC. The largest
leaves approach 15 cm in length. The flowers are around 2 - 2.5 cm
across.

Plant:
http://tinypic.com/r/23uzw4p/9

Flower:
http://tinypic.com/r/33kdkj5/9

Any ideas what it is?

Something about those flowers says Cucurbit to me.

I agree but don't know of any multi flowered Cucurbit.
Why not email a picture to Gunby hall saying where you took the pic and
ask them what it is.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay

Half the fun of reading stuff in this NG is trying to identify photos of
plants! And most of the time someone here knows the answer (providing
the photo is taken in the UK), so I thought I'd try here first.

I had thought about emailing Gunby Hall but I can't find a direct email
address. The "Contact us" page at
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/contact-us states "Do you have a
question or feedback for one of our places? To find the contact details
for a specific place, go to the Overview section on its web page.".
Unfortunately, there is no email address on the overview page for Gunby
Hall. At least, not one I can find (I think the NT's new webpages are
awful, and a triumph of design over function, as they seem to love using
a sort of scroll-down popup for each section, and finding anything or
your way back to previous pages is a nightmare).

I'll just have to try the general email address for the NT.

--

Jeff
Old 17-08-2016, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...

[...]

GH facebook page offers phone and email

01754 890102
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/gunby-hall

Janet

Old 18-08-2016, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2016 07:41, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

The problem was that TinyPic was unenthusiastic about showing
photographs to the point of not displaying them at all. So all I had to
go on was your written description.

--
SRH
Old 18-08-2016, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

? I could see the pics.

Janet

Old 18-08-2016, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/16 22:47, David Hill wrote:
[...]

I've just seen that on the Gunby Hall "Overview" page!!! I swear it
wasn't there yesterday.

I've sent a message to the general email address for the NT (with a link
to the TinyPic page in case they strip attachments), and we'll see what
comes back.

--

Jeff