Old 21-08-2016, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Does boiling water really work?

I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds instantly. So why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and more effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs
Old 21-08-2016, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/08/2016 20:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds instantly. So
why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and more
effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs

It's effectively the same as using a weed wand, except that a weed wand
is more portable, and I would assume is safer.

Problem one: the risk of spilling boiling water on yourself.

Problem two: transporting the boiling water to the location of the weeds
- your allotment may be miles from your house.

Problem three: It will kill the top growth of weeds. It won't kill the
roots of stuff like dandelion, unless you saturate the soil with boiling
water down to the roots - in which case you're sterilising the soil. I
don't imagine it's good for earthworms. And I suspect that it doesn't
work with clay soils. So you need repeated applications. (The video
claims it kills the roots, but doesn't offer any evidence.)

[I've bought a steam cleaner for use in the kitchen. I've been thinking
of trying it on "patio weeds".]

--
SRH
Old 21-08-2016, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 21:18:29 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

On 21/08/2016 20:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds instantly. So
why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and more
effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs

It's effectively the same as using a weed wand, except that a weed wand
is more portable, and I would assume is safer.

But I'd have to buy one, I already have a kettle.

The gas for those is many times more expensive than mains gas or electricity to heat water.

Water is poured on MUCH faster than I've seen people using those wands.

Problem one: the risk of spilling boiling water on yourself.

I'm not clumsy, and I don't care for safety.

Problem two: transporting the boiling water to the location of the weeds
- your allotment may be miles from your house.

It's just weeds around my house, so that's fine.

Problem three: It will kill the top growth of weeds. It won't kill the
roots of stuff like dandelion, unless you saturate the soil with boiling
water down to the roots - in which case you're sterilising the soil.

No problem with sterilising the soil, I'm applying it where I want nothing growing. Inbetween pavers on my drive, etc.

I don't imagine it's good for earthworms.

Not my problem :-)

And I suspect that it doesn't
work with clay soils.

Why not? I have clay soil about 4 inches down.

So you need repeated applications.

Which I already have to do with weedkiller. Despite what they say, weedkiller does not last long at all.

(The video claims it kills the roots, but doesn't offer any evidence.)

I'm not so sure burning with gas would be any different. Both are only killing what is on display. But then pouring lots of boiling water on at once could get to the root.

Old 22-08-2016, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 21:18:29 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
[I've bought a steam cleaner for use in the kitchen. I've been thinking
of trying it on "patio weeds".]

I did that last month, been cleaning the barbeque, and experimented
with the block paving. In a small area, that had been treated last
year with 'Block Sealer' there was some moss in the cracks. Did it
work? I need to try it on a larger area, while it worked, not sure if
it was any easier than other methods, but it was cheaper than weed
killer!
Old 22-08-2016, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 21/08/2016 20:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds instantly. So

Its the remaining 10% of each and every weed that grows back again. You
can find plenty of clueless idiots on the internet claiming all sorts of
gibberish. If you put enough table salt on weeds it will kill them.

why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and more
effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs

It's effectively the same as using a weed wand, except that a weed wand
is more portable, and I would assume is safer.

But I'd have to buy one, I already have a kettle.

Stupid is as stupid does. It is hard to beat glyphosate for economic
control of weeds as a general purpose weedkiller. Boiling water will use
hundreds of times more resources to do the same job.

Which I already have to do with weedkiller. Despite what they say,
weedkiller does not last long at all.

Depends on the weedkiller although the ones that are persistent have
mostly been banned now for domestic use as they were abused. The new
formulations of pathclear are good for most of a season but some weeds
are immune to the new germination inhibitors.

(The video claims it kills the roots, but doesn't offer any evidence.)

I'm not so sure burning with gas would be any different. Both are only
killing what is on display. But then pouring lots of boiling water on
at once could get to the root.

[I've bought a steam cleaner for use in the kitchen. I've been thinking
of trying it on "patio weeds".]

It will work after a fashion if you are terrified by "chemicals" and
don't mind the environmental pollution caused by using large amounts of
energy to achieve very little by way of useful results.

Be careful not to scald yourself.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 22-08-2016, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 21/08/2016 20:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds instantly. So

Its the remaining 10% of each and every weed that grows back again. You
can find plenty of clueless idiots on the internet claiming all sorts of
gibberish. If you put enough table salt on weeds it will kill them.

90% sounds bloody good to me. I've tried various weedkillers and nothing achieved anything like that.

why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and more
effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs

It's effectively the same as using a weed wand, except that a weed wand
is more portable, and I would assume is safer.

But I'd have to buy one, I already have a kettle.

Stupid is as stupid does. It is hard to beat glyphosate for economic
control of weeds as a general purpose weedkiller. Boiling water will use
hundreds of times more resources to do the same job.

Nope, costs very little to boil loads of kettles. Just over a penny a litre, even with electricity. No weedkiller is anything like that cheap.

Which I already have to do with weedkiller. Despite what they say,
weedkiller does not last long at all.

Depends on the weedkiller although the ones that are persistent have
mostly been banned now for domestic use as they were abused. The new
formulations of pathclear are good for most of a season but some weeds
are immune to the new germination inhibitors.

A good one was paraquat, the electricity board used it around their substations. Unfortunately it gave everyone cancer (and the idiots blamed the magnetism....)

(The video claims it kills the roots, but doesn't offer any evidence.)

I'm not so sure burning with gas would be any different. Both are only
killing what is on display. But then pouring lots of boiling water on
at once could get to the root.

[I've bought a steam cleaner for use in the kitchen. I've been thinking
of trying it on "patio weeds".]

It will work after a fashion if you are terrified by "chemicals" and
don't mind the environmental pollution caused by using large amounts of
energy to achieve very little by way of useful results.

Since weedkiller costs many many many times more than the fuel to boil the steam, it's clear that it must also use more resources.

--
A Pakistani woman was sexually assaulted yesterday. Police are still trying to find a motive.
Old 22-08-2016, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 21/08/2016 20:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds
instantly. So

Its the remaining 10% of each and every weed that grows back again. You
can find plenty of clueless idiots on the internet claiming all sorts of
gibberish. If you put enough table salt on weeds it will kill them.

90% sounds bloody good to me. I've tried various weedkillers and
nothing achieved anything like that.

90% of the weed might be dead but the 10% is still alive.
Stupid is as stupid does. More fool you if you believe his crap.

why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and more
effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs

It's effectively the same as using a weed wand, except that a weed wand
is more portable, and I would assume is safer.

But I'd have to buy one, I already have a kettle.

Stupid is as stupid does. It is hard to beat glyphosate for economic
control of weeds as a general purpose weedkiller. Boiling water will use
hundreds of times more resources to do the same job.

Nope, costs very little to boil loads of kettles. Just over a penny a
litre, even with electricity. No weedkiller is anything like that cheap.

Depends how you use it.
Generic glyphosate is way cheaper for a bulk kill when used correctly.

Which I already have to do with weedkiller. Despite what they say,
weedkiller does not last long at all.

Depends on the weedkiller although the ones that are persistent have
mostly been banned now for domestic use as they were abused. The new
formulations of pathclear are good for most of a season but some weeds
are immune to the new germination inhibitors.

A good one was paraquat, the electricity board used it around their
substations. Unfortunately it gave everyone cancer (and the idiots
blamed the magnetism....)

No it didn't. The reason paraquat was banned is because it is
exceedingly toxic to humans and became the suicide poison of choice.

It was a particularly nasty one too since just as the suicide patient
was seemingly about to recover and want to live just as they died of
multiple organ failure. Extoxnet allows that the stuff might possibly be
carcinogenic in humans but the acute toxicity was the reason for the ban.

(The video claims it kills the roots, but doesn't offer any evidence.)

I'm not so sure burning with gas would be any different. Both are only
killing what is on display. But then pouring lots of boiling water on
at once could get to the root.

[I've bought a steam cleaner for use in the kitchen. I've been thinking
of trying it on "patio weeds".]

It will work after a fashion if you are terrified by "chemicals" and
don't mind the environmental pollution caused by using large amounts of
energy to achieve very little by way of useful results.

Since weedkiller costs many many many times more than the fuel to boil
the steam, it's clear that it must also use more resources.

Only if you are exceptionally stupid.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-08-2016, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Which he is.

Please don't feed the troll:
Aka:
Peter Hucker:
Phucker:
Uncle Peter:
Tough Guy:
James Wilkinson:
Lieutenant Scot:
Etc, etc, etc.
But, you knew this anyway :-)

Old 22-08-2016, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Resource using things cost more. Even you must know this.

--
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful god, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes -- Gene Roddenberry
Old 22-08-2016, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Says the guy so stupid he has to come here to ask about growing grass.

--
Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics
German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics
French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by Italians.

Old 22-08-2016, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 21/08/2016 20:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds
instantly. So

Its the remaining 10% of each and every weed that grows back again. You
can find plenty of clueless idiots on the internet claiming all sorts of
gibberish. If you put enough table salt on weeds it will kill them.

90% sounds bloody good to me. I've tried various weedkillers and
nothing achieved anything like that.

90% of the weed might be dead but the 10% is still alive.
Stupid is as stupid does. More fool you if you believe his crap.

Like I said, nothing kills 100% anyway.

why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and more
effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs

It's effectively the same as using a weed wand, except that a weed wand
is more portable, and I would assume is safer.

But I'd have to buy one, I already have a kettle.

Stupid is as stupid does. It is hard to beat glyphosate for economic
control of weeds as a general purpose weedkiller. Boiling water will use
hundreds of times more resources to do the same job.

Nope, costs very little to boil loads of kettles. Just over a penny a
litre, even with electricity. No weedkiller is anything like that cheap.

Depends how you use it.
Generic glyphosate is way cheaper for a bulk kill when used correctly.

How bulk? I'm talking a house driveway here. Big enough for 5 cars. Enough kettles for that will cost less than £1.

[...]

Nope, it was cancer, which got blamed on the magnetism.

--
The success of the "Wonder Bra" for under-endowed women has encouraged the designers to come out with a bra for over-endowed women.
It's called the "Sheep Dog Bra"- it rounds them up and points them in the right direction.
Old 23-08-2016, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Slightly off topic, this came through today on the BT web site
under the title "13 Genius Uses for Washing Up Liquid"

1. Weed killer
Mix with salt and white vinegar to make a homemade weed killing
liquid.

Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 24-08-2016, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:

Slightly off topic, this came through today on the BT web site
under the title "13 Genius Uses for Washing Up Liquid"

1. Weed killer
Mix with salt and white vinegar to make a homemade weed killing
liquid.

There's one born every minute. But boiling water works perfectly
well on most annual and seedling perennial weeds, so is as good
as anything for killing them on patios etc. It's useless on
anything deep-rooted.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-08-2016, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2016 12:17, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:

Slightly off topic, this came through today on the BT web site
under the title "13 Genius Uses for Washing Up Liquid"

1. Weed killer
Mix with salt and white vinegar to make a homemade weed killing
liquid.

There's one born every minute.

A variant of that mix. Pile of salt mixed with citric acid and wetted
with strong vinegar will on a good day remove rust stains from concrete.
It is a poor weedkiller though - very very weak hydrochloric acid.

But boiling water works perfectly
well on most annual and seedling perennial weeds, so is as good
as anything for killing them on patios etc. It's useless on
anything deep-rooted.

Although true stamping on them works almost as well.
Killing only the top growth.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 29-08-2016, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 20:46:04 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds instantly. So why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and more effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs

Don't you just love a poster who asks for advice, and then shoots down
everyone who replies?

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
this really does work, this is just awsome joe Roses 3 05-03-2004 06:21 AM
this really does work, this is just awsome joe Roses 0 05-03-2004 05:25 AM
Glue really really really works? rtk Ponds 0 27-04-2003 12:08 PM
How does UV filter really work? BenignVanilla Ponds 7 04-04-2003 03:32 PM