Old 16-09-2016, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can slugs swim?

I have a plastic dustbin in use as a water butt one side of my
greenhouse. I lift the lid and dunk the watering can to fill it.

I often find slugs around the inside of the bin rim and knock them into
the water. They always sink towards the bottom but more appear quite
regularly, hence my question.

Mike
Old 16-09-2016, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/09/2016 10:25, Muddymike wrote:
I have a plastic dustbin in use as a water butt one side of my
greenhouse. I lift the lid and dunk the watering can to fill it.

I often find slugs around the inside of the bin rim and knock them into
the water. They always sink towards the bottom but more appear quite
regularly, hence my question.

Mike

Maybe they can survive under water long enough to crawl up the sides
to the top.
Old 16-09-2016, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 10:25:44 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

I have a plastic dustbin in use as a water butt one side of my
greenhouse. I lift the lid and dunk the watering can to fill it.

I often find slugs around the inside of the bin rim and knock them into
the water. They always sink towards the bottom but more appear quite
regularly, hence my question.

Mike

ICBW, but that's what I thought they were, but given that they go down to
follow the water level as I take out water, I assumed that they're leeches.
I couldn't resist 'stroking' one - there didn't seem to be slime (although
my hands were wet at the time).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old 20-09-2016, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/09/2016 10:25, Muddymike wrote:
I have a plastic dustbin in use as a water butt one side of my
greenhouse. I lift the lid and dunk the watering can to fill it.

I often find slugs around the inside of the bin rim and knock them into
the water. They always sink towards the bottom but more appear quite
regularly, hence my question.

Mike

With me, some seem to survive and escape and others drown. It is
possible, I suppose, that the unlucky ones have found themselves in
water where some plant food residue lingers ... or perhaps different
types of slug have evolved to live and cope in wetter ground. I'm sure
the latter is a possibility. I have never seen a slug doing the breast
stroke, for which I am heartily grateful!

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Old 21-09-2016, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Heh heh :@)

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Old 28-03-2018, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 10:25:45 AM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
I have a plastic dustbin in use as a water butt one side of my
greenhouse. I lift the lid and dunk the watering can to fill it.

I often find slugs around the inside of the bin rim and knock them into
the water. They always sink towards the bottom but more appear quite
regularly, hence my question.

Mike

Yes I did the same in an enclosed water butt, knocked bit fat slug off above the water line he spiralled to the bottom but was back the following morning!
Old 28-03-2018, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/03/2018 09:06, wrote:

Yes I did the same in an enclosed water butt, knocked bit fat slug off above the water line he spiralled to the bottom but was back the following morning!

Make Your Own Slug Nematodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg1cosZY6k0

Old 05-04-2018, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , alan_m
writes
On 28/03/2018 09:06, wrote:

Yes I did the same in an enclosed water butt, knocked bit fat slug
off above the water line he spiralled to the bottom but was back the
following morning!

Make Your Own Slug Nematodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg1cosZY6k0

In my compost bins, slugs (and, for that matter, woodlice) seem to do
just as good a job as worms at consuming and excreting what I put in.
Some of the slugs are real beauties - all shiny and black, or
fluorescent orange - and often 3+" long. If I find any in the garden I
usually transfer them to one of the bins, where they can live for the
rest of their lives in total luxury.
--
Ian
Old 05-04-2018, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2018 08:31, Ian Jackson wrote:
In my compost bins, slugs (and, for that matter, woodlice) seem to do
just as good a job as worms at consuming and excreting what I put in.
Some of the slugs are real beauties - all shiny and black, or
fluorescent orange - and often 3+" long. If I find any in the garden I
usually transfer them to one of the bins, where they can live for the
rest of their lives in total luxury.

It's spring today, and the frogs are having an orgy in the pond. Perhaps
that's why we don't have much of a slug problem?

Andy