Old 01-12-2016, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrot fly

I planted my carrots under mesh, which worked, but removed it
in October because my understanding was that they were an August
problem. However, they are now significantly damaged. Is this
likely to be due to October attacks, or would be be me having
let some in earlier?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/12/2016 17:21, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I planted my carrots under mesh, which worked, but removed it
in October because my understanding was that they were an August
problem. However, they are now significantly damaged. Is this
likely to be due to October attacks, or would be be me having
let some in earlier?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I don't grow carrots now but I was always taught that carrot fly were
around when cow parsley was in flower.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

I planted my carrots under mesh, which worked, but removed it
in October because my understanding was that they were an August
problem. However, they are now significantly damaged. Is this
likely to be due to October attacks, or would be be me having
let some in earlier?

I've noticed we only get damage very late in the season so I'm not convinced
about timings as per the books. Indeed it was only last week that we saw the
first signs of damage this year. Of course it may be that it was caused
earlier but only shows later.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
BobHobden wrote:

I planted my carrots under mesh, which worked, but removed it
in October because my understanding was that they were an August
problem. However, they are now significantly damaged. Is this
likely to be due to October attacks, or would be be me having
let some in earlier?

I've noticed we only get damage very late in the season so I'm not convinced
about timings as per the books. Indeed it was only last week that we saw the
first signs of damage this year. Of course it may be that it was caused
earlier but only shows later.

Thanks. I believe that the damage is caused by the grub during the
last part of its life cycle, so there is certainly a delay.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The last couple of years, we have grown the F1 hybrid "Fly Away" (an early main crop)
without using mesh or any other kind of barrier, and we can report complete success with
good crops of carrots of a good size and flavour and with no fly damage at all. We get our
seeds from the Organic Gardening Catalogue.

Malcolm

Old 06-12-2016, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

The last couple of years, we have grown the F1 hybrid "Fly Away" (an
early main crop)
without using mesh or any other kind of barrier, and we can report
complete success with
good crops of carrots of a good size and flavour and with no fly damage
at all. We get our
seeds from the Organic Gardening Catalogue.

Thanks, but ....

I planted Sytan, Resistafly and Flyaway for many years, and found no
difference. They all were riddled with fly by October and unusable
by December. Planting Phacelia around them didn't help, either.
I can't remember whether the current ones are Resistafly or Flyaway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.