Old 23-12-2016, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dwarf phalaenopsis

Anyone else have trouble with these?

I've been growing "ordinary" phals for at least 10 years, and they
flower every year, almost without problem. One, which unusually has 3
flowering stems, lost its leaves (crown rot?) over 18 months ago, but
continues flowering without leaves, and has now produced 3 keikis (with
possibly 5 more on the way). All these phals were houseplant gifts or
donations from those without green fingers. They were probably all
sourced from M&S.

Earlier this year we were given one of those M&S dwarf phals in flower.
I put it with the others, and grew it the same way. Within a couple of
months I noticed the remaining flower buds were not looking right, and
one by one they fell off, soon followed by the leaves. After a few weeks
it was dead. We replaced it with an almost identical plant a couple of
months ago. It flowered well, but the flowering stem lasted a much
shorter time than normal phals. As it seemed to be a bit loose in its
pot, I repotted it a couple of weeks ago. A few days ago I noticed the
leaves seemed to be turning yellow. This morning the last one fell off.
I think the compost heap awaits it...

--

Jeff
Old 23-12-2016, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Jeff

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone else have trouble with these?

Big Snip

I picked up one at one of our local "cheapie" stores for £1.35.

It flowered OK and then nearly died. My wife wanted to throw it out, but I
rescued the one green leaf, repotted it in a small pot, Put the pot in a
polythene bag, and gave it a little bottom heat in my windowsill propogator.
It took quite a time, but it recovered, was moved out of the propogator onto
the kitchen windowsill, and has flowered.

Since then it has grown some more and has a new flowering spike coming. It
seems to need to be kept very moist in a very well drained compost.

Cheers

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
Old 24-12-2016, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/12/16 16:31, John Rye wrote:
Hello Jeff

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone else have trouble with these?

Big Snip

I picked up one at one of our local "cheapie" stores for £1.35.

It flowered OK and then nearly died. My wife wanted to throw it out, but I
rescued the one green leaf, repotted it in a small pot, Put the pot in a
polythene bag, and gave it a little bottom heat in my windowsill propogator.
It took quite a time, but it recovered, was moved out of the propogator onto
the kitchen windowsill, and has flowered.

Since then it has grown some more and has a new flowering spike coming. It
seems to need to be kept very moist in a very well drained compost.

Cheers

John

Interesting. I hadn't thought of putting it in a polythene bag. As it's
now leafless, I'll wait and see if any new leaves appear. before doing
anything else. It's got 2 or 3 months to come up with the goods...

--

Jeff

dwarf vs. ultra dwarf fruit trees Me Gardening 4 11-11-2008 08:42 PM
height of dwarf runner and dwarf French beans bajmoe United Kingdom 1 03-06-2008 10:59 PM
Dwarf Apple & Dwarf Avocada Tree Questions JorgNS Gardening 2 01-02-2005 04:52 AM
Art-shade Phalaenopsis Bacchae Orchids 3 06-02-2003 02:04 AM
Ailing Phalaenopsis Allan Risk Orchids 6 04-02-2003 09:38 PM