Old 16-01-2017, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Veggie Plot

Having moved house and got the inside sorted, I'm now looking
at the garden. The only space for a veg plot is about 15ft by
20ft, surrounded on 3 sides. The north is ope, east has a 6ft
fence with large conifers behind it, south has a 5ft fence with
w house behind it, but at a distance, and west is a
garage/utility room wall!

Given the limited amount of sun that is likely to penetrate,
what veggies are going to do best? My preference is for salad,
root veg such as carrots and parsnips and green veg, sprouts,
purple sprouting etc but I'm not sure of the need for sun.

Soil appears quite good, with very few stones, currently laid
as lawn.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 11-03-2017, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, 16 January 2017 12:25:11 UTC, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Having moved house and got the inside sorted, I'm now looking
at the garden. The only space for a veg plot is about 15ft by
20ft, surrounded on 3 sides. The north is ope, east has a 6ft
fence with large conifers behind it, south has a 5ft fence with
w house behind it, but at a distance, and west is a
garage/utility room wall!

Given the limited amount of sun that is likely to penetrate,
what veggies are going to do best? My preference is for salad,
root veg such as carrots and parsnips and green veg, sprouts,
purple sprouting etc but I'm not sure of the need for sun.

Soil appears quite good, with very few stones, currently laid
as lawn.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Roger,

This year I grew Purple sprouting broccoli in a shady spot and it didn't do at all well. However, Red Flare cabbage and Red Rock cabbage both did ok in the same situation. I tied some Charlotte potatoes alongside the polytunnel, behind a box hedge and they grew reasonably well too. I know it's not much to go on but at least it may be a start

My daughter-in-law lives up a hill near Llanidloes. She is successfully growing a hop that I gave her a couple of years ago, albeit in a more sunny spot.

Veggie plot fairyinboots Edible Gardening 5 23-09-2007 09:29 PM
Old Railway Land - Veggie Plot Dan United Kingdom 3 05-04-2006 08:45 PM
pics of our veggie plot shannie United Kingdom 14 13-06-2003 02:45 PM
pics of our veggie plot/ Things to do differently next year will United Kingdom 5 10-06-2003 10:32 PM
pics of our veggie plot shannie United Kingdom 5 05-06-2003 12:22 AM