Old 16-01-2017, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Maple syrup

I wonder if anyone out there has tried this, or has a tree that would be
suitable to try?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articl...our-maple-tree
David @ a Maple free side of Swansea bay
Old 16-01-2017, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2017 18:06, David Hill wrote:
I wonder if anyone out there has tried this, or has a tree that would be
suitable to try?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articl...our-maple-tree
David @ a Maple free side of Swansea bay

Not heard of anyone trying this in the UK? I always assumed our climate
was wrong for any sensible amount to be produced

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 17-01-2017, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/17 18:06, David Hill wrote:
I wonder if anyone out there has tried this, or has a tree that would be
suitable to try?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articl...our-maple-tree
David @ a Maple free side of Swansea bay

You would need to have a decent fire, with free firewood, to make it
cost-effective. Remember that it takes 40 volumes of sap to make one
volume of syrup. Try boiling down a medium-sized saucepan of sap (around
2 litres) to make a quarter cup (around 50 ml) on a stove, and see how
much gas you use.

--

Jeff
Old 17-01-2017, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2017 18:06, David Hill wrote:
I wonder if anyone out there has tried this, or has a tree that would be
suitable to try?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articl...our-maple-tree
David @ a Maple free side of Swansea bay

Interesting. However, I lost my sweet tooth years ago, so I don't use
syrup, treacle or honey.
Do you have such a tree? Will you try it?

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 17-01-2017, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/01/2017 14:49, Spider wrote:
On 16/01/2017 18:06, David Hill wrote:
I wonder if anyone out there has tried this, or has a tree that would be
suitable to try?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articl...our-maple-tree
David @ a Maple free side of Swansea bay

Interesting. However, I lost my sweet tooth years ago, so I don't use
syrup, treacle or honey.
Do you have such a tree? Will you try it?

The only Maple I have of any size is a snake bark maple, and I'm sure
that Snake bite didn't come from this tree.

Old 22-01-2017, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/01/2017 18:14, David Hill wrote:
On 17/01/2017 14:49, Spider wrote:
On 16/01/2017 18:06, David Hill wrote:
I wonder if anyone out there has tried this, or has a tree that would be
suitable to try?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articl...our-maple-tree
David @ a Maple free side of Swansea bay

Interesting. However, I lost my sweet tooth years ago, so I don't use
syrup, treacle or honey.
Do you have such a tree? Will you try it?

The only Maple I have of any size is a snake bark maple, and I'm sure
that Snake bite didn't come from this tree.

Thankfully! Lovely tree, though.
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Maple Syrup II Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 10 31-03-2007 01:12 AM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Maple Syrup Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 5 21-03-2007 12:08 PM
DD Maple Syrup commercial question Tomes Lawns 4 06-02-2007 02:18 AM
Maple syrup Srgnt Billko Lawns 9 05-02-2007 10:11 PM
Sugar Maple And Syrup Questions Bro Jack Gardening 4 29-05-2005 01:06 PM