Old 17-02-2017, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Salford Black runner beans

Does anyone know of a source of these?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2017, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/02/2017 18:16, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of these?

No. What is their claim to fame? Salford in Lancashire seems an unlikely
place to grow runner beans so which Salford is it?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-02-2017, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/02/2017 09:00, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/02/2017 18:16, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of these?

No. What is their claim to fame? Salford in Lancashire seems an unlikely
place to grow runner beans so which Salford is it?

Google tells me that it comes from the village of Salford in the
Cotswolds. Google also tells me that the name is a reference to the
polluted nature of the Lancashire Salford.

--
SRH

Old 18-02-2017, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of these?

No. What is their claim to fame? Salford in Lancashire seems an unlikely
place to grow runner beans so which Salford is it?

I have just come back from a trip to New Zealand, and I heard that
some people grow a black-seeded runner bean that has a very good
flavour. I failed to find any seed in the shops, but I searched
only in passing, and a Web search indicates that Salford Black is
the most likely candidate. I shall try personal enquiries to one
of the bloggers.

Incidentally, NZ grow hubbard squashes, which are MUCH better than
pumpkins, and their standard one is what they call a crown type
(e.g. Whangaroa Crown). Very like Queensland Blue, but it ripens
in the UK. But I also bought seed of a Japanese type (which is
probably available in the UK) and a few slightly bizarre herbs.

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

(Just what I need: another variety for my wish list...)

I also bought seed of Shiny Fardenlosa climbing French bean, which
looks interesting. All of the green climbing French bean I have
been able to grow have germinated badly, cropped poorly and tasted
of very little; the blue ones do well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-02-2017, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of these?

No. What is their claim to fame? Salford in Lancashire seems an unlikely
place to grow runner beans so which Salford is it?

Google tells me that it comes from the village of Salford in the
Cotswolds. Google also tells me that the name is a reference to the
polluted nature of the Lancashire Salford.

Thanks very much - I failed to find those, but am still recovering
from the flight. One or other story might be right ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2017, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 14:27:06 Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of these?

No. What is their claim to fame? Salford in Lancashire seems an unlikely
place to grow runner beans so which Salford is it?

I have just come back from a trip to New Zealand, and I heard that
some people grow a black-seeded runner bean that has a very good
flavour. I failed to find any seed in the shops, but I searched
only in passing, and a Web search indicates that Salford Black is
the most likely candidate. I shall try personal enquiries to one
of the bloggers.

I've been growing runner beans from a black seed on and off for the last
twenty years or so. I suppose that isn't the same thing?

Can't remember where I got them from in the first place.

David

Old 18-02-2017, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

I've been growing runner beans from a black seed on and off for the last
twenty years or so. I suppose that isn't the same thing?

Can't remember where I got them from in the first place.

Apparently the pods develop a sooty black tinge, don't go stringy
and have an unusual flavour. Anyway, what I am looking for is one
with the last characteristic - what are yours like?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2017, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/02/2017 16:47, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Rance wrote:

I've been growing runner beans from a black seed on and off for the last
twenty years or so. I suppose that isn't the same thing?

Can't remember where I got them from in the first place.

Apparently the pods develop a sooty black tinge, don't go stringy
and have an unusual flavour. Anyway, what I am looking for is one
with the last characteristic - what are yours like?

I dunno but a quick look on the Manchester Evening News website suggests
they are being grown in Salford at Ordsall Hall. I might pop in and see
if I can buy some from them next time I am over there.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....it-veg-7754894

They claim it is named from Salford's black grimy industrial part.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-02-2017, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 16:47:30 Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

I've been growing runner beans from a black seed on and off for the last
twenty years or so. I suppose that isn't the same thing?

Can't remember where I got them from in the first place.

Apparently the pods develop a sooty black tinge, don't go stringy
and have an unusual flavour. Anyway, what I am looking for is one
with the last characteristic - what are yours like?

Quite ordinary - by comparison - from what I remember. Haven't grown any
for the last few years since I've been on my own though I've still got
the seed. But the seed in the link that Martin gave look just like mine.

A small number of the harvested seed revert to the normal dappled
colours so I guess they're not a true variety.

David

Old 21-02-2017, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:

I've been growing runner beans from a black seed on and off for the last
twenty years or so. I suppose that isn't the same thing?

Can't remember where I got them from in the first place.

Apparently the pods develop a sooty black tinge, don't go stringy
and have an unusual flavour. Anyway, what I am looking for is one
with the last characteristic - what are yours like?

I dunno but a quick look on the Manchester Evening News website suggests
they are being grown in Salford at Ordsall Hall. I might pop in and see
if I can buy some from them next time I am over there.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....it-veg-7754894

Following up own post.

Been to see them at Ordsall Hall in Salford and it isn't particularly
good news. They are growing them but have had crop failure two years in
a row and the seeds will not be available for sale again there until at
least next year and very possibly the year after that.

Any bean growing wizards in the area might want to offer them advice.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown