Old 19-02-2017, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Organic Carrots

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

Old 19-02-2017, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Judith in England wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

Fleece.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-02-2017, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:56:07 +0000, Judith in England wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants...ways-to-avoid-
carrot-root-fly/

but they don't include my favourite method
Old 19-02-2017, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , No. 6 wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:56:07 +0000, Judith in England wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants...ways-to-avoid-
carrot-root-fly/

but they don't include my favourite method

Of which 7 don't work at all, to my certain knowledge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-02-2017, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

Fleece.

Whenever we have tried to use fleece over carrots we get nil
germination. We use an old water tank so they are well above the
ground (the fly are lazy) which also allows us to use sandy open
compost which carrots like.

My point stands; that's what they use. You don't need to put the
fleece on until after the seedlings appear, though I don't find it
makes any difference. Of course, that's on sandy soil in Cambridge,
and it may be a damping-off issue. I find carrot germination is
always unreliable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 21-02-2017, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Peter Robinson wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , No. 6 wrote:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants...ways-to-avoid-
carrot-root-fly/

but they don't include my favourite method

Of which 7 don't work at all, to my certain knowledge.

Which 7?

All except the barrier methods and biological controls. I am
unconvinced of the last, on lifecycle grounds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-02-2017, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/02/17 07:23, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Of which 7 don't work at all, to my certain knowledge.

Which 7?

All except the barrier methods and biological controls. I am
unconvinced of the last, on lifecycle grounds.

I wondered about using a combination of methods, Barrier for the main
crop. Then a few carrots several metres from the main crop and some of
those sticky yellow sheets around, maybe with some crushed carrot tops
around them just to add to the attraction. Is there any chance the CRF
would get stuck to the yellow stuff, or do you think they would be
careful enough to ignore it? Or maybe some sacrificial carrots in pots
with a wasp-trap. Could the CRF get out once they were in?

--

Jeff

Old 21-02-2017, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Of which 7 don't work at all, to my certain knowledge.

Which 7?

All except the barrier methods and biological controls. I am
unconvinced of the last, on lifecycle grounds.

I wondered about using a combination of methods, Barrier for the main
crop. Then a few carrots several metres from the main crop and some of
those sticky yellow sheets around, maybe with some crushed carrot tops
around them just to add to the attraction. Is there any chance the CRF
would get stuck to the yellow stuff, or do you think they would be
careful enough to ignore it? Or maybe some sacrificial carrots in pots
with a wasp-trap. Could the CRF get out once they were in?

Dunno. That might work in an enclosed garden, but I doubt otherwise,
because the fly can host in many of the umbelliferae. I haven't been
able to find out how far it can fly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.