Old 26-02-2017, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Powered patio washer

It is getting to the time of year when the flagstones will be washed of
the winter grime and slime.

In the past I've used n ordinary pressure washer with a 'fanned' jet to
go over the paving (taking care to avoid the pointing between). As there
is c85sq m of paving to front, sides and rear I'm toying with the idea of
getting a washer with a 'patio' attachment (basically two spinning jets
enclosed within a bowl).

They *seem* to be more efficient in giving a more uniform clean and also
*seem* to offer a quicker option to clean such larger areas.

Can anyone offer any views on them from practical experience please?
Also any preference on makes/models from practical experience.

I've had Karcher in the past but had not been too happy with them so I'm
wondering about Nilfisk?

Google may be my friend but it does get very confusing!

TIA

Ermin
Old 26-02-2017, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/02/17 13:11, Ermin Trude wrote:
[...]

A subject often discussed in uk.d-i-y. You should get a lot of answers
if you repost there.

--

Jeff
Old 26-02-2017, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 15:43:29 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

I'll try adding it - hopefully it will work.

Ermin
Old 26-02-2017, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2017 16:25, Ermin Trude wrote:
[...]

I have a Karcher TRacer head for mine... it makes the job quite a bit
easier since you are not carrying the weight of the jet or trying to
control it - it becomes more like toting an upright vacuum cleaner
about. A nice bonus is you end up wearing slightly somewhat less of the
crud you wash off!

--
Cheers,

John.

Old 26-02-2017, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2/26/2017 8:18 PM, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Good timing for me, I was just thinking about investigating / shopping.
Presumably they are a bit more benign towards pointing than a standard
lance? Also, I'm interested in opinions about using bleach or other
cleaning products. Have grown quite a lot of algae on the new (cheap
Indian sandstone) slabs this winter, especially in the areas which don't
see so much direct sun.

Old 26-02-2017, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
[...]

I have one which creates coil spring marks unless travelled very slowly.
They are a huge improvement over direct spray in controlling the final
destination of the dirt removed (we have black feather edge board both
sides of our paved yard).

Obviously you can't get right into a corner or up to an edge. Adjustable
jets might be useful to speed up cleaning minor encrustations.

--
Tim Lamb
Old 27-02-2017, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 20:45:11 +0000, newshound wrote:

[...]

A very dilute belach can be good for clearing smaller areas. Test it
fisrt in a discreet location to ensure it doesn't cause a problem with
discolouration.

Ermin
Old 27-02-2017, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 21:15:34 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message ,
newshound writes
[...]

What make is the washer please? Does it have a good working pressure and
flow rate?

Ermin
Old 27-02-2017, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Ermin Trude wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 15:43:29 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 26/02/17 13:11, Ermin Trude wrote:
It is getting to the time of year when the flagstones will be washed of
the winter grime and slime.

In the past I've used n ordinary pressure washer with a 'fanned' jet to
go over the paving (taking care to avoid the pointing between). As
there is c85sq m of paving to front, sides and rear I'm toying with the
idea of getting a washer with a 'patio' attachment (basically two
spinning jets enclosed within a bowl).

They *seem* to be more efficient in giving a more uniform clean and
also *seem* to offer a quicker option to clean such larger areas.

Can anyone offer any views on them from practical experience please?
Also any preference on makes/models from practical experience.

I had a small Karcher which was OK, but a bit underpowered.When
it aged I replaced it with a Nilfisk

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/nilfisk-alto-e140-3-9-pad-x-tra-cold-water-pre/

This was more powerful, the parts click together much more
easily, and the hose reel is handy.

The biggest problem with a patio brush is sand or grit getting
into the pivot and affecting rotation of the spray arm.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 27-02-2017, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 26/02/2017 20:18, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I have the same but have been unable to get it to spin in any meaningful
way. Any tips?

Old 27-02-2017, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In message , Ermin
Trude writes
[...]

Karcher. You need to be careful mix/matching attachments as the bayonet
fixings can vary with manufacturers. The washer was inherited so I don't
have performance details. Ample pressure and flow for car and patio
jobs.
--
Tim Lamb
Old 27-02-2017, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:08:26 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Ermin
Trude writes

about pressure washer

What make is the washer please? Does it have a good working pressure
and flow rate?

Karcher. You need to be careful mix/matching attachments as the bayonet
fixings can vary with manufacturers. The washer was inherited so I don't
have performance details. Ample pressure and flow for car and patio
jobs.

Okay - maybe I should think again about Karcher but my last ones were
rather disappointing in terms of longevity. Plus they are quite a price
these days. Hence my feelings towards Nilfisk.
Old 27-02-2017, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:02:55 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Ermin Trude wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 15:43:29 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 26/02/17 13:11, Ermin Trude wrote:
It is getting to the time of year when the flagstones will be washed
of the winter grime and slime.

In the past I've used n ordinary pressure washer with a 'fanned' jet
to go over the paving (taking care to avoid the pointing between).
As there is c85sq m of paving to front, sides and rear I'm toying
with the idea of getting a washer with a 'patio' attachment
(basically two spinning jets enclosed within a bowl).

I had a small Karcher which was OK, but a bit underpowered.When it aged
I replaced it with a Nilfisk

I was disappointed with the Karchers I'd had - reliability was a bit
questionable and I'm now put off by the price.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/nilf...ad-x-tra-cold-

water-pre/

This was more powerful, the parts click together much more easily, and
the hose reel is handy.

Yes, I can see the advantage of the reel - hoses can be awkward things.
Is it a 'flow through' or do you have to completely unreel it before use?

Useful advice on the power/click together. Thankyou.

The biggest problem with a patio brush is sand or grit getting into the
pivot and affecting rotation of the spray arm.

Something I'll watch out for.

Ermin

Old 27-02-2017, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Ermin Trude wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/nilfisk-alto-e140-3-9-pad-x-tra-cold-water-pre/
This was more powerful, the parts click together much more easily, and
the hose reel is handy.

Yes, I can see the advantage of the reel - hoses can be awkward things.

I found the standard Nilfisk hose was quite plasticky with a mind of its
own (i.e. remembering the coiled state) I bought a decent rubber
replacement from "Q Washers" and had it made a couple of metres longer.

Old 27-02-2017, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 12:27:30 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Ermin Trude wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/nilf...ad-x-tra-cold-

water-pre/
This was more powerful, the parts click together much more easily, and
the hose reel is handy.

Yes, I can see the advantage of the reel - hoses can be awkward things.

I found the standard Nilfisk hose was quite plasticky with a mind of its
own (i.e. remembering the coiled state) I bought a decent rubber
replacement from "Q Washers" and had it made a couple of metres longer.

But overall is/was the Nilfisk good?

Ermin

Simoniz pressure washer serious problem Andy Kalsey Lawns 1 13-10-2003 04:32 PM
Which Pressure washer? crom United Kingdom 4 11-05-2003 07:21 PM
30 year old washer question Aron Lawns 2 22-04-2003 04:32 PM
Pressure washer help Mark Lawns 0 09-02-2003 05:55 PM