Old 14-03-2017, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Improvised soakaway

Have posted a similar question in UK D-I-Y, but thought I would ask in here
also.

Got a slight problem round the back of my parents house.

The path/paved area separating the back of the house from the garden has
nowhere for the water to run off. The path/paving slopes to the centre of
the house and away, but there's a raised bed between the path and the lawn,
so the water just pools up in the middle, until it slowly drains away
between the cracks in the paving.

This isn't a problem during light rain, but in the event of a heavy storm
takes time. Plus, I've been trying to jetwash the path to get rid of the
winter moss, and had to give up as I was just padding in muddy water.

Here's a pic following my attempts to Jetwash (raised bed on the right)
http://www.clipsfromthecryptserver1.com/temp/water.jpg

To be fair, the paving could do with relaying, but as they're probably going
to be selling the property in a couple of years don't want to spend the
money.

I was therefore wondering if I could improvise a soakaway by removing one of
the slabs, digging a hole underneath and filling with gravel and placing the
slab back on top, to give water somewhere to drain to?

Would that work? Don't really want to be doing tons of digging, or turfing
up the beds or relaying slabs.

Thanks in advance.

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Old 14-03-2017, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , darkangel5
@REMOVETHISBITlineone.net says...

[...]

Depends to a certain extent on when and how the path was laid.
These days they seem to lay them onto a bed of concrete, so
digging up would be a problem and would probably not work. I've
just had a path laid like this, and the gardener who did it was
aware of this problem, and he left a narrow gap between the
path and the sleepers he put in for the raised bed.

Sorry, I know this dose not really help, but I feel you need to
investigate further.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 14-03-2017, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Sounds too small to me. I made one 15 years ago which is a metre cube,
and still works well.

I followed the advice of ex-urgler Tony , professional paver

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html

Janet.
Old 14-03-2017, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
Depends to a certain extent on when and how the path was laid.

The slabs were laid onto sand I believe, and a dry mixture of sand and
cement brushed between them (which has mostly eroded, hence how the water is
able to drain between). The slabs were laid over 10 years ago by my father
and this has always been a minor problem.

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Planting near septic tank soakaway John Towill United Kingdom 5 14-04-2010 06:21 PM
Ground cover for a soakaway Sspider Gardening 6 09-09-2009 01:40 PM
How to safely plant a soakaway? Eddy United Kingdom 38 10-01-2008 09:34 AM
Soakaway Phil L United Kingdom 6 08-10-2005 07:37 PM
improvised pot holder R United Kingdom 1 10-05-2003 11:20 PM