Old 23-03-2017, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cheshunt Compound

Is there an easily obtainable alternative please?

Old 23-03-2017, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/03/2017 16:26, Judith in England wrote:

Is there an easily obtainable alternative please?

Have you thought of googling "cheshunt compound alternative"
Old 24-03-2017, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 19:18:23 +0000, David wrote:

On 23/03/2017 16:26, Judith in England wrote:

Is there an easily obtainable alternative please?

Have you thought of googling "cheshunt compound alternative"

Thank you for your contribution: it is much appreciated.

I would rather ask he and then read the excellent experience of others who
are willing to share.

PS Are you from the abacus-nurseries who I have been told are pure shite?

You may **** off now.
Old 24-03-2017, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 19:37:18 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:26:35 +0000, Judith in England
wrote:

Is there an easily obtainable alternative please?

It is/was a copper-based fungicide. Cheshunt is a mixture of copper
sulphate and ammonium carbonate (smelling salts). Bordeaux mixture is
similar, but uses hydrated lime in place of the ammonium carbonate.
Bordeaux mixture used to be available, but that has also now been
withdrawn. There's also a Burgundy mixture. These last two were used
extensively for controlling fungus diseases on vines in the
wine-growing regions of France, hence the names, but I think the
continued use over many decades was causing a copper build-up in the
soil, so they were banned. Whether the regulations will relax now
we're leaving the EU, who knows?

Another one is copper oxychloride. Bayer used to do it, but I can't
find it now. It too seems to have been withdrawn, although there's
this supplier, on Amazon http://tinyurl.com/lrdmlhm . 'Buy now while
stocks last' as they say.

Alternatively, make your own Cheshunt compound:

Weigh 60 grams of Copper Sulphate & 330 grams of Ammonium Carbonate.
Powder together and mix well. The dry mixture should be stored in an
airtight container for a day or so before use, and can be stored that
way almost indefinitely. Dissolve 25g of this mixture in hot water and
make up to 8 litres with cold water.

Copper sulphate on e-bay http://tinyurl.com/mbs6b4t
Ammonium carbonate http://tinyurl.com/ms4b2zq

Ammonium carbonate was what was used in 'smelling salts', so will
knock your head off if you get your nose too close to it!

Bordeaux mixture can also be made http://tinyurl.com/kkbpqfq and in
particular: "For spraying in small amounts, prepare as above but only
mix 1 gallon of water, 3 1/3 tablespoons of copper sulfate and 10
tablespoons of hydrated lime. Agitate the mixture thoroughly before
you spray."

Note that a lot of so-called 'lime' sold in garden centres isn't
traditional lime, but powdered limestone. They've ducked out of
selling hydrated lime, I presume for H&S reasons. Proper hydrated lime
can be obtained at builders' merchants, but probably only in amounts
much greater than you need, unless you can use the surplus elsewhere,
in the garden or on the allotment for example. It may even be that
your local allotment club/society have a stock and that you could
buy/have a small amount.

Failing all that, I use Dithane 945, but I get the impression even
this has been or is about to be withdrawn. Fortunately I have quite a
lot! But it seems to be still available on e-bay in various amounts
http://tinyurl.com/laxx33a

That's excellent: many thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge:
appreciated.

(Just what URG is for)

Cheshunt Compound Judith in England United Kingdom 0 16-03-2015 10:48 PM
Cheshunt Compound Judith in England United Kingdom 9 03-03-2015 09:26 AM
Does excess Cheshunt prevent germination echinosum United Kingdom 0 30-03-2009 04:14 PM
Cheshunt Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 20-05-2005 01:17 PM
Tree-killing chemical compound? Arsenio Oloroso Jr. Gardening 7 14-05-2003 08:32 AM