Old 27-03-2017, 02:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn aeration

Gardening magazines seem to like the idea of lawn aeration. My
small domestic lawn has never had such treatment in the 30 years
I have lived here, and I am wondering if it is worth doing.

Has anybody successfully used a hollow tine aerator without it
continually clogging? If so, what was it? I couldn't get a bulb
planter to work at all, so tiny tines seem a non-starter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-30565-Lawn-Aerator/dp/B00HNUQ0MW/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-4&keywords=lawn+aerator

Are the spiked drum type any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-83983-Rolling-Aerator-Spiked-x/dp/B01BYA8WRC/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-6&keywords=lawn+aerator

I have a little moss, no waterlogging, and soil which tends to
clay.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 27-03-2017, 02:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Gardening magazines seem to like the idea of lawn aeration. My
small domestic lawn has never had such treatment in the 30 years
I have lived here, and I am wondering if it is worth doing.

Has anybody successfully used a hollow tine aerator without it
continually clogging? If so, what was it? I couldn't get a bulb
planter to work at all, so tiny tines seem a non-starter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-30565-Lawn-Aerator/dp/B00HNUQ0MW/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-4&keywords=lawn+aerator

Are the spiked drum type any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-83983-Rolling-Aerator-Spiked-x/dp/B01BYA8WRC/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-6&keywords=lawn+aerator

I have a little moss, no waterlogging, and soil which tends to
clay.

Chris

I spent years doing it (with a fork, pushing it back and to), always
wondering if it made a difference. One year, I decided to do one half
of the lawn and leave the other half. If there was a difference, it was
too subtle for me to notice. So now, I just let the worms live instead
:-) I had one of the hollow ones, and threw it away after about a year.
Maybe I was just doing it wrong all the time?
Old 27-03-2017, 03:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 27/03/2017 13:03, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Gardening magazines seem to like the idea of lawn aeration. My
small domestic lawn has never had such treatment in the 30 years
I have lived here, and I am wondering if it is worth doing.

Has anybody successfully used a hollow tine aerator without it
continually clogging? If so, what was it? I couldn't get a bulb
planter to work at all, so tiny tines seem a non-starter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-30565-Lawn-Aerator/dp/B00HNUQ0MW/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-4&keywords=lawn+aerator

Are the spiked drum type any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-83983-Rolling-Aerator-Spiked-x/dp/B01BYA8WRC/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-6&keywords=lawn+aerator

I have a little moss, no waterlogging, and soil which tends to
clay.

Chris

I have a Mantis with a lawn slitter - seems to do a great job
Old 27-03-2017, 04:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Gardening magazines seem to like the idea of lawn aeration. My
small domestic lawn has never had such treatment in the 30 years
I have lived here, and I am wondering if it is worth doing.

Has anybody successfully used a hollow tine aerator without it
continually clogging? If so, what was it? I couldn't get a bulb
planter to work at all, so tiny tines seem a non-starter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-30565-Lawn-Aerator/dp/B00HNUQ0MW/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-4&keywords=lawn+aerator

Are the spiked drum type any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-83983-Rolling-Aerator-Spiked-x/dp/B01BYA8WRC/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-6&keywords=lawn+aerator

I have a little moss, no waterlogging, and soil which tends to
clay.

Chris

I aerated my front lawn for two year, but did not bother last year due to a
dodgy knee.
If there is a difference I can't see it.

Old 27-03-2017, 04:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Gardening magazines seem to like the idea of lawn aeration. My
small domestic lawn has never had such treatment in the 30 years
I have lived here, and I am wondering if it is worth doing.

Has anybody successfully used a hollow tine aerator without it
continually clogging? If so, what was it? I couldn't get a bulb
planter to work at all, so tiny tines seem a non-starter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-30565-Lawn-Aerator/dp/B00HNUQ0MW/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-4&keywords=lawn+aerator

Are the spiked drum type any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-83983-Rolling-Aerator-Spiked-x/dp/B01BYA8WRC/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1490615967&sr=1-6&keywords=lawn+aerator

I have a little moss, no waterlogging, and soil which tends to
clay.

Chris

If you want to look stupid,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/301841305252?chn=ps

Old 27-03-2017, 04:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 27/03/2017 15:07, F Murtz wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

You could just top dress with sand twice a year and let the worms do
their work.
David@ a sunny side of Swansea Bay
Old 27-03-2017, 04:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 27/03/17 15:07, F Murtz wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

Great for letting the grass grow under your feet

Old 27-03-2017, 05:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 00:07:35 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

The one time I did mine it was with 12-point lobster-claw crampons (not much
use for them in icy Northants). The comments from passers-by and the lack of
noticeable effect decided me that the time was better spent round the pub.
Anyway, moss is quite pretty.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Mantis mini cultivator - clay soil/lawn aeration Jay Hendry United Kingdom 0 18-09-2005 02:17 PM
After lawn aeration... JackRabbit Gardening 5 02-04-2005 12:45 AM
Lawn aeration and sprinkler system ted Gardening 5 03-05-2004 08:02 AM
lawn aeration Celeste Evans Texas 1 30-01-2004 03:26 PM
Lawn Aeration, how many passes ? Ray Lawns 2 26-06-2003 07:56 PM