Pre-watred seed beds

Old 28-03-2017, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pre-watred seed beds

Having for the first time in a few years bought a number of
veggie seed packets, and even read the instructions on the
back! I was intrigued to find they all stated that the seeds
should be sown into pre-watered soil - why?

For years I've just sown when the soil is slightly damp or
wetter, then watered afterwards if necessary, with no apparent
lack of germination.

Seeds were Fothergills by the way, what the garden centre
stocks - I usually mail order from Dobies.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 28-03-2017, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/03/2017 14:59, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Having for the first time in a few years bought a number of
veggie seed packets, and even read the instructions on the
back! I was intrigued to find they all stated that the seeds
should be sown into pre-watered soil - why?

For years I've just sown when the soil is slightly damp or
wetter, then watered afterwards if necessary, with no apparent
lack of germination.

Seeds were Fothergills by the way, what the garden centre
stocks - I usually mail order from Dobies.

Probably because people watering afterwards with the rose pointing down
at the seed tray tend to blast the seed all over the place if the seeds
are small.
better to turn the rose so it points away from the tray, that way the
water comes down more gently.
But by pre soaking, letting it drain then sowing lets the seed stay in
place for some time.