Dedicated student needing help :)

Old 06-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Dedicated student needing help :)

Hi,

I am a third year Applied Zoology student studying at Cornwall College, Newquay. I am currently completing my dissertation on the extent on the illegal online trade of 5 non-native invasive species banned on the 6th of April 2014, under the wildlife and countryside act 1981. I was wandering if people would be able to complete my survey? It is completely anonymous as does not aim to judge people choices but to merely assess the success of the ban

Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RZCXZBK

Thanks,
Sarah
Old 06-04-2017, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sarah0651 wrote:
Hi,

I am a third year Applied Zoology student studying at Cornwall College,
Newquay. I am currently completing my dissertation on the extent on the
illegal online trade of 5 non-native invasive species banned on the 6th
of April 2014, under the wildlife and countryside act 1981. I was
wandering if people would be able to complete my survey? It is
completely anonymous as does not aim to judge people choices but to
merely assess the success of the ban

Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/kneq7j2

Thanks,
Sarah

Only seems to work for people considering buying pond plants (they all
require an answer).

Old 06-04-2017, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/04/2017 13:22, sarah0651 wrote:
Hi,

I am a third year Applied Zoology student studying at Cornwall College,
Newquay. I am currently completing my dissertation on the extent on the
illegal online trade of 5 non-native invasive species banned on the 6th
of April 2014, under the wildlife and countryside act 1981. I was
wandering if people would be able to complete my survey? It is
completely anonymous as does not aim to judge people choices but to
merely assess the success of the ban

Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/kneq7j2

Thanks,
Sarah

Forget the survey
Go to Amazon or Ebay and see which exotic plants can be purchased from
Chinese suppliers. In general they are all scams and what will be
supplied are random seed packets of far eastern weeds.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/04/2017 13:22, sarah0651 wrote:
I am a third year Applied Zoology student

So why on earth are you asking about pond plants?

Some of the questions don't give the chance for a correct answer.

Would you buy A B or C?

A is invasive & foreign. B is foreign. Would you still buy them?

In at least once case yes to A, no to B...

Andy

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/04/2017 23:15, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 06/04/2017 13:22, sarah0651 wrote:
I am a third year Applied Zoology student

So why on earth are you asking about pond plants?

Some of the questions don't give the chance for a correct answer.

Would you buy A B or C?

A is invasive & foreign. B is foreign. Would you still buy them?

Most plants available in the UK are not native. Many people want
invasive plants for ground cover.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/04/2017 08:16, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 23:15:20 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 06/04/2017 13:22, sarah0651 wrote:
I am a third year Applied Zoology student

So why on earth are you asking about pond plants?

Some of the questions don't give the chance for a correct answer.

Would you buy A B or C?

A is invasive & foreign. B is foreign. Would you still buy them?

In at least once case yes to A, no to B...

Andy

---

+1

I found it frustratingly worded and inappropriate. As several have
said here, it's almost exclusively targetted at pond plants. The
number of people with ponds must be in the minority. It's unlikely
that any banned plant would be for sale in a responsible commercial
retail outlet, but might be seen on a plant stall at a village fete or
whatever. Very few people carry a list of prohibited plants around
with them, so are unlikely to know what's banned an what isn't. I
wouldn't knowingly buy a banned plant.

FWIW, I have a pond, and when setting it up in the first place some
ten years or so ago, I did buy Canadian pond weed, which grows well,
and every autumn/winter I lift out piles of the stuff which goes onto
the compost heap. It's an isolated pond, and there's no way any pond
plant could easily escape into a watercourse or whatever, except
perhaps on the ubiquitous but rather theoretical bird's feet!

I gave up as I would buy any of the plants as my ponds are already well
stocked. frightening that someone at that level of education cant
construct a sensible survey, the results from that one would be
completely meaningless

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 10-04-2017, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/04/2017 22:07, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I gave up as I would buy any of the plants as my ponds are already well
stocked. frightening that someone at that level of education cant
construct a sensible survey, the results from that one would be
completely meaningless

Some years ago I was held up in traffic for over an hour.

The cause turned out to be a traffic survey.

They'll have built motorways on the back of that

Andy