Is it too late in the year to notch fruit trees (to generate new branches)?

Old 07-04-2017, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is it too late in the year to notch fruit trees (to generate new branches)?

I have pear trees and plum trees (less then 4 years old) that I'd like to encourage new branches on. The trees are already producing leafing buds. Is it too late to perform notching, in the hope of stimulating new branches?

Many thanks,
Al_n