Old 27-03-2017, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shady place grass seed!

Is there such a thing as shady place grass?

I have tried two different brands of seed now for an area of supposed
lawn shaded by a couple of larger trees. Both grew initially but then died.

Mike
Old 27-03-2017, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/03/2017 08:44, Muddymike wrote:
Is there such a thing as shady place grass?

I have tried two different brands of seed now for an area of supposed
lawn shaded by a couple of larger trees. Both grew initially but then died.

Mike

Are you able to crown lift the trees a bit? if you can that helps as
does summer irrigation.
I am afraid I know nothing about the merits of different grass seed mixtures

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 27-03-2017, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Is there such a thing as shady place grass?

I have tried two different brands of seed now for an area of supposed
lawn shaded by a couple of larger trees. Both grew initially but then died.

It depends how shady, and whether the shade is wet or dry. But few
grasses tolerate more than slight shade, in a gloomy climate like
the UK. There are other plants that will make an adequate lawn that
would do better - mostly ones that grow as lawn weeds!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 27/03/2017 08:44, Muddymike wrote:
Is there such a thing as shady place grass?

I have tried two different brands of seed now for an area of supposed
lawn shaded by a couple of larger trees. Both grew initially but then died.

Are you able to crown lift the trees a bit? if you can that helps as
does summer irrigation.

We have a walnut, which is a seriously lawn-hostile tree, but have
pruned it so that there are no branches below about 2.5 metres.
The lawn grows right up to the trunk. Of course, that's only a
bit over 10 metres high, and a bigger (wider) tree might need a
higher start to the branches.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-03-2017, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/03/2017 10:17, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Is there such a thing as shady place grass?

I have tried two different brands of seed now for an area of supposed
lawn shaded by a couple of larger trees. Both grew initially but then died.

It depends how shady, and whether the shade is wet or dry. But few
grasses tolerate more than slight shade, in a gloomy climate like
the UK. There are other plants that will make an adequate lawn that
would do better - mostly ones that grow as lawn weeds!

What other plants?

Mike

Old 14-04-2017, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Is there such a thing as shady place grass?

I have tried two different brands of seed now for an area of supposed
lawn shaded by a couple of larger trees. Both grew initially but then died.

I have got around to reminding myself of the plant that makes a
good substitute for grass in shady places in my garden: ground
ivy. It doesn't seem to seed significantly, though its runners
are a trifle invasive - but it's very shallow-rooted and very
easy to remove. And it survives being walked on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-04-2017, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/04/2017 15:49, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Muddymike wrote:
Is there such a thing as shady place grass?

I have got around to reminding myself of the plant that makes a
good substitute for grass in shady places in my garden: ground
ivy. It doesn't seem to seed significantly, though its runners
are a trifle invasive - but it's very shallow-rooted and very
easy to remove. And it survives being walked on.

There were spreading patches of ground ivy under apple trees in my late
mother in law's old orchard, and I always thought it was rather pretty
when it flowered, so I took a root or two and added it under a group of
hazel shrubs in my wild area where it's now made itself at home
scrambling about among primroses and wild violets. Even quite dry shade
doesn't seem to faze it very much.

--
Sue

Seed For Shady Areas Of Lawn (UK) ? Trim My Bush Lawns 3 21-10-2013 10:45 PM
How do i grow grass in a shady area? ddawgg10 Edible Gardening 1 11-04-2009 10:27 AM
Shady Place matt_y39 Australia 2 20-04-2006 01:44 PM
Grass for shady lawn The_Cahills Gardening 2 23-04-2003 04:44 PM
grass for shady area? cheryl Gardening 5 25-02-2003 09:39 PM