GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Asparagus and Broad beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/214534-asparagus-broad-beans.html)

david 15-04-2017 09:37 PM

Asparagus and Broad beans

I planted 16 Asparagus crowns a couple of weeks ago and am now planting
broad bean seeds around each crown. The idea is both to mark, support
the Asparagus and for the beans to give a nitrogen boost to the
Asparagus as it grows.
David @ a dull but dry side of Swansea Bay.

Derek[_6_] 18-04-2017 11:06 PM

Asparagus and Broad beans

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 20:37:17 +0100, David
wrote:

I planted 16 Asparagus crowns a couple of weeks ago

Never thought of planting broadbeans on top, have seen a youtube clip
where thin layer of gravel was put in a ring around the top so that it
was marked, to aid weeding.
Just in the middle of starting myslef a large bed, 20 crowns, today
sorted out some old chicken wire to put down deep to keep out our
plague of moles.

Not sure I will use broadbeans to add anything to the soil, my crowns
are getting better fed than me.