Old 15-07-2017, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed ID - solved

About 3 months ago I asked if anyone could identify some seeds which had
mysteriously appeared on the patio. A photo of them can be seen he
https://postimg.org/image/9kkv4lyjx/
(NB original photo link has expired)

I potted a few up and they germinated. The first true leaves have now
appeared, and it was easy to ID the plant.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!! It's ivy.

As though I haven't got enough of this damned weed throughout the garden...

--

Jeff
Old 15-07-2017, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...

About 3 months ago I asked if anyone could identify some seeds which had
mysteriously appeared on the patio. A photo of them can be seen he
https://postimg.org/image/9kkv4lyjx/
(NB original photo link has expired)

I potted a few up and they germinated. The first true leaves have now
appeared, and it was easy to ID the plant.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!! It's ivy.

LOL. Such is gardening :-) I bet we've all nurtured a few cuckoos
until the horrible truth dawned.

Janet.
Old 15-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

Oh no, after all your work
Old 17-07-2017, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/07/2017 08:58, Jeff Layman wrote:
About 3 months ago I asked if anyone could identify some seeds which had
mysteriously appeared on the patio. A photo of them can be seen he
https://postimg.org/image/9kkv4lyjx/
(NB original photo link has expired)

I potted a few up and they germinated. The first true leaves have now
appeared, and it was easy to ID the plant.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!! It's ivy.

As though I haven't got enough of this damned weed throughout the garden...

No wonder I have it all over the place, I always assumed it was flower
buds dropping off fruit trees! Ivy seed on the plant appears black I had
no idea it was pink after it falls out - Well done Jeff (for asking the
question as well as solving it)

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 17-07-2017, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/07/17 08:53, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 15/07/2017 08:58, Jeff Layman wrote:
About 3 months ago I asked if anyone could identify some seeds which had
mysteriously appeared on the patio. A photo of them can be seen he
https://postimg.org/image/9kkv4lyjx/
(NB original photo link has expired)

I potted a few up and they germinated. The first true leaves have now
appeared, and it was easy to ID the plant.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!! It's ivy.

As though I haven't got enough of this damned weed throughout the garden...

No wonder I have it all over the place, I always assumed it was flower
buds dropping off fruit trees! Ivy seed on the plant appears black I had
no idea it was pink after it falls out - Well done Jeff (for asking the
question as well as solving it)

It's an answer I don't like, Charlie! Like you, I just associated ivy
seeds with those black fruits. Next time I see some ripe fruits I'll
have a look inside to see if the seeds are pink. If not, maybe they've
been through something, if you see what I mean...

It still seems odd to me that I've never noticed them before, here or at
previous homes. They are so obviously different from any other seeds
with that pink colour, and being fairly large, that they should stand
out. Maybe I've been distracted by the tens of thousands of ash seeds
which fall on the garden!

--

Jeff