Old 08-02-2018, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default diffrence between rotary tiller and rotavator

what is difference between rotary tiller and rotoavator
Old 08-02-2018, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vir Campestris wrote:

I think a rotary tiller is in the USA, and a rotovator in the UK.

I don't know about present models, but going back a few years, various
relatives who had small-holdings tended to own Merry Tillers but always
referred to them as rotavators ...

Old 09-02-2018, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/02/2018 21:44, Andy Burns wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

I think a rotary tiller is in the USA, and a rotovator in the UK.

I don't know about present models, but going back a few years, various
relatives who had small-holdings tended to own Merry Tillers but always
referred to them as rotavators ...

Wolf call all their blade driven machines Tillers
Old 09-02-2018, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vir Campestris wrote:

I think a rotary tiller is in the USA, and a rotovator in the UK.

I don't know about present models, but going back a few years, various
relatives who had small-holdings tended to own Merry Tillers but
always referred to them as rotavators ...

Wolf call all their blade driven machines Tillers

"MTD Products own the WOLF-Garten brand internationally and are
responsible for the production and distribution of the garden hand tool
and powered products. E.P. Barrus are the sole distributors of the
WOLF-Garten range throughout the UK and Eire."

"Headquartered in Valley City near Cleveland, Ohio, our passion has led
MTD to be a worldwide leader of outdoor power equipment with facilities
in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia producing equipment for
both residential and commercial markets."

so Wolf are a US company.

Andy
Old 09-02-2018, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 20:46:12 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

"MTD Products own the WOLF-Garten brand internationally and are
responsible for the production and distribution of the garden hand tool
and powered products.

FWIW, MTD bought out the nearly bankrupt Troy-Bilt brand several years
ago. I'm hearing that their version of the highly regarded rototiller
isn't nearly as durable as the ones made in Troy, New York, USA. My
vintage one is NOT for sale!
Semi-related: My parents had a neighbor who tilled their garden each
spring with a Howard. What a monster!

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 09-02-2018, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"MTD Products own the WOLF-Garten brand internationally and are
responsible for the production and distribution of the garden hand tool
and powered products.

FWIW, MTD bought out the nearly bankrupt Troy-Bilt brand several years
ago. I'm hearing that their version of the highly regarded rototiller
isn't nearly as durable as the ones made in Troy, New York, USA. My
vintage one is NOT for sale!
Semi-related: My parents had a neighbor who tilled their garden each
spring with a Howard. What a monster!

---
http://www.avg.com

I have to assume that when you say they tilled their garden with a
Howard you meant a Howard gem.
They made several models such as the Bantam
https://picclick.co.uk/old-Howard-ba...823160159.html
Old 09-02-2018, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"MTD Products own the WOLF-Garten brand internationally and are
responsible for the production and distribution of the garden hand tool
and powered products.

FWIW, MTD bought out the nearly bankrupt Troy-Bilt brand several years
ago. I'm hearing that their version of the highly regarded rototiller
isn't nearly as durable as the ones made in Troy, New York, USA. My
vintage one is NOT for sale!
Semi-related: My parents had a neighbor who tilled their garden each
spring with a Howard. What a monster!

---
http://www.avg.com

I have to assume that when you say they tilled their garden with a
Howard you meant a Howard gem.
They made several models such as the Bantam
https://picclick.co.uk/old-Howard-ba...823160159.html

.... and they were (are?) all beasts! When I was a young man we had a
Howard Bantam and I just about managed to control it. I now have a
Howard Gem (I think that's what it is) and the experience is *very*
similar to what I remember with the Bantam! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Old 10-02-2018, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I started to use a Bantam when I was about 12 years of age, never had
real problems and that was on clay.
Started using a Gem when I was around 17, commercially.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 21:24:21 +0000, David
wrote:

I have to assume that when you say they tilled their garden with a
Howard you meant a Howard gem.

Don't know the model, and all the parties are beyond asking, but must
have been a gem. I'm guessing that was the model the couple in
"Living the Good Life" rigged to a cart to haul their veg to the
market?
(Young folk here; please ignore, that last won't make sense at all).

And with the right .sig.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 12-02-2018, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/02/2018 21:24, David wrote:
I have to assume that when you say they tilled their garden with a
Howard you meant a Howard gem.
They made several models such as the Bantam
https://picclick.co.uk/old-Howard-ba...823160159.html

Howard 350 is the one I had in mind.

http://howardgem.webs.com/300350.htm

I never had any trouble with it as a kid, and I was tiny. One of the
shortest in my year, and thin to boot. (I'm 6ft now... everyone else
stopped growing at 16... no longer so thin either )

Andy