Old 08-05-2003, 06:32 PM
eddy

Default Self seeding vegatables ??

is this a viable option ?
leeks ,peas, etc ?
Old 08-05-2003, 07:44 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Yes you can certainly keep your own seed of these. Also broad beans and
runner beans, parsley and probably many others that I've never tried to keep

"eddy" wrote in message
news : is this a viable option ?
: leeks ,peas, etc ?

Old 08-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Paul England

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...
Yes you can certainly keep your own seed of these. Also broad beans and
runner beans, parsley and probably many others that I've never tried to

keep

"eddy" wrote in message
news : is this a viable option ?
: leeks ,peas, etc ?

What about F1 seed, I've just planted out some veg in the allotment and I
note that the cabbages (Cape Verdi & Excel) and the calabrese (Trixie) are
all F1. I'm not sure of the science here, but if I let a couple run to seed,
will it be ok to use it ?

Regards ......... Paul

Old 08-05-2003, 10:20 PM
The Devil's Advocate

No f1's are selected under very controlled conditions and any seed you get
from them in the open are probably going to be far different from the f1
hybrids

"Paul England" firstplatz @virgin.net wrote in message
:
: "The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
: message ...
: Yes you can certainly keep your own seed of these. Also broad beans and
: runner beans, parsley and probably many others that I've never tried to
: keep
:
:
: "eddy" wrote in message
: news : : is this a viable option ?
: : leeks ,peas, etc ?
:
:

Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from eddy contains these words:

is this a viable option ?
leeks ,peas, etc ?

Well, yes,that's what peas are. Seeds of pea plants. You can eat some
of the fresh immature pea seeds and dry some mature ones for growing
another year (if they are a variety that will come true from seeds, ie,
not an FI hybrid). Leeks don't flower till their second year, then make
seed.

Many people save their own veg seed; how successful they are depends on
when the seed ripens and local climate. In west Scotland, I've never had
lettuce or carrots set viable seed, but I get good seed of rocket, beans
especially runner beans, coriander, parsley.

Janet.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"eddy" wrote in message ...
is this a viable option ?
leeks ,peas, etc ?

Not self seeding as such but you can save seed of those veg and most others
to plant the next season. We keep our own seed of three varieties of Pea,
Runner Beans and Carrots.
The problem comes if the variety you first buy is an F1, this seed is
produced every time by a first cross between two distinct varieties so it's
first generation seed of a new variety giving hybrid vigour but because it's
not had the generations to stabilise it will produce seed of mixed type,
some plants of each of the two original parents and some of various mixtures
between the two which is not good.

If you want to save seed try to avoid F1 varieties. Try Thomas Etty Esq who
sell seed of heritage varieties none of which will be F1.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:44 AM
andrewpreece

I had a couple ( out of the whole crop ) of cucumbers (F1) get
fertilised last year - they were thin at one end and swollen at
the other, and produced proper seeds unlike the usual
transparent things you get in cucumbers. Alas they would not
germinate when planted them this year, I'm blaming it on them
being F1 hybrids.

Andy

Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Jonathan wrote in message
..
The problem comes if the variety you first buy is an F1, this seed is
produced every time by a first cross between two distinct varieties so

it's
first generation seed of a new variety giving hybrid vigour but because

it's
not had the generations to stabilise it will produce seed of mixed type,
some plants of each of the two original parents and some of various

mixtures
between the two which is not good.

If you want to save seed try to avoid F1 varieties. Try Thomas Etty Esq

who
sell seed of heritage varieties none of which will be F1.

I thought that F1 hybrids were infertile, which is why the orange tree my

son
grew from seed, which grows in greenhouse, has never flowered in 12 years.

Is
this true?
--

No. They flower and produce seed but it's just a right mixture and only a
few will be the same as the original plant.

Old 13-05-2003, 05:08 PM
J Jackson

eddy wrote:
: is this a viable option ?
: leeks ,peas, etc ?

freely self seeding, I have land cress, lambs lettuce, rocket,
dandelion (:-), miners lettuce, chinese mustard. The joy of these is that
they are pretty hardy and produce salad leaves in very early spring, when
there's not a lot else around. If you have the odd cloche you can
transplant some seedlings and cloche them to even earlier salads.
All the above freely self seed around the garden - you have to leave some
to seed, and be careful (not) weeding.

Jim

Vegatables that help convert grassland into workable veggie patch? AL_n United Kingdom 40 30-12-2011 12:48 PM
Vegatables that can be grown in partial shade Ignoramus27253 Gardening 2 27-04-2004 06:08 PM
primula vulgaris and bulbs self-seeding Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 7 06-02-2004 03:49 PM
vegatables when to plant? Gardening 4 30-01-2004 11:32 AM
Self-seeding parsnip question Marcia Marvin Edible Gardening 0 26-05-2003 12:20 AM