Old 22-07-2018, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is this

Came across this thistle like plant in Anglesey a couple of weeks ago.
At first I thought it was a thistle with insects or something, but close
inspection showed that the white spots were actually raised bumps and
quite regular across all the leaves, even the emerging ones. 2 plants
side by side along the coast path, no others visible.

Pictures at:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5371675767

---
https://www.avg.com

Old 22-07-2018, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2018 22:17, Pollygolly wrote:
Came across this thistle like plant in Anglesey a couple of weeks ago.
At first I thought it was a thistle with insects or something, but close
inspection showed that the white spots were actually raised bumps and
quite regular across all the leaves, even the emerging ones. 2 plants
side by side along the coast path, no others visible.

Pictures at:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5371675767

---
https://www.avg.com

Looks a lot like Teasel to me.
Old 25-07-2018, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2018 22:39, David wrote:
On 22/07/2018 22:17, Pollygolly wrote:
Came across this thistle like plant in Anglesey a couple of weeks ago.
At first I thought it was a thistle with insects or something, but
close inspection showed that the white spots were actually raised
bumps and quite regular across all the leaves, even the emerging ones.
2 plants side by side along the coast path, no others visible.

Pictures at:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5371675767

---
https://www.avg.com

Looks a lot like Teasel to me.

I think that it's the other one (with bristly leaf surfaces), i.e.
bristly oxtounge (Helminthotheca echioides) - the basal leaves of teasel
go together so water gets trapped in pools around the stem. (In this
weather the pools will be absent, but the hollows would still be there.)

There is a difference between the bristles in the two species, but I
would to hit the books to remind me what it is.

--
SRH
Old 26-07-2018, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2018 21:07, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
[...]

That's the one, thanks very much. Must confess I've never heard of or
seen it before, but the pictures I've found look very similar. Pity I
did not see it in flower.