Old 18-10-2018, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Breaking news - 2nd crop fig!

Just discovered that our Brown Turkey has ripened as second crop fig.

There may be one or two more small ones with a chance as well.

Photo to follow.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 18-10-2018, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/18 15:09, David wrote:
Just discovered that our Brown Turkey has ripened as second crop fig.

There may be one or two more small ones with a chance as well.

Photo to follow.

Cheers

Sorry to put a possible dampener on it, but have you actually opened the
fig? I had one which seemed ripe, but was hard and almost white on the
inside.

I can't understand why the figs have been so slow to ripen this year
with such a hot summer.

--

Jeff
Old 18-10-2018, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 19:32:43 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 18/10/18 15:09, David wrote:
Just discovered that our Brown Turkey has ripened as second crop fig.

There may be one or two more small ones with a chance as well.

Photo to follow.

Cheers

Sorry to put a possible dampener on it, but have you actually opened the
fig? I had one which seemed ripe, but was hard and almost white on the
inside.

I can't understand why the figs have been so slow to ripen this year
with such a hot summer.

It has split and it is a dark pink inside.

Haven't had time to post the photo yet.

Will comment on flavour tomorrow. The first crop were pretty nice.

We had no problems with figs ripening but the tree is in a pot so that
make a difference.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 19-10-2018, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:09:42 David wrote:

Just discovered that our Brown Turkey has ripened as second crop fig.

There may be one or two more small ones with a chance as well.

I was just about to start a thread on this subject as well! I was going
to ask if anyone else was experiencing the ripening of a second crop
this year.

I've had a fig tree for nearly thirty years. During that time the crops
have been very small, usually only about half a dozen. until two years
ago when I had a crop of about fifty fruits.

Although I've had an embryo secondary crop every year, this year is the
first time ever that it has ripened and for the last week there must be
several hundred figs ripening. They are small compared to the earlier
crop but I've weighed some and they are between 50 and 70 grams each
which is, nevertheless, a respectable size.

Unfortunately the recent rain (which I missed as I was in France until
two days ago) has spoiled the look of this second crop but nevertheless
they are every bit as sweet as those from the early crop.

I took several rooted layers from my tree in Reading a few years ago and
planted them in my garden in Normandy. Only one survived (the roots of
the others were eaten by voles) and, although it isn't more than about
three feet high, it too has ripened a fig during this last week, but it
never had an early crop.

I'm now going to bed but not before I've had one or two figs!

David

Old 19-10-2018, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 19:32:43 Jeff Layman wrote:

On 18/10/18 15:09, David wrote:
Just discovered that our Brown Turkey has ripened as second crop fig.
There may be one or two more small ones with a chance as well.
Photo to follow.
Cheers

Sorry to put a possible dampener on it, but have you actually opened
the fig? I had one which seemed ripe, but was hard and almost white on
the inside.

No doubt about the ripeness in my case!

I can't understand why the figs have been so slow to ripen this year
with such a hot summer.

I think it must be *because* of the hot summer that we are seeing this
late ripening. But I can't say that my early crop was late in ripening
this year. It was in mid July as usual.

David

Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:09:42 +0000, David wrote:

Just discovered that our Brown Turkey has ripened as second crop fig.

There may be one or two more small ones with a chance as well.

Photo to follow.

Just picked the second ripe fig.
Only a small one this time.
The smallest second crop have behaved as usual, going wrinkly and or
mouldy and I have been picking them off.

The remaining few still look healthy; if we avoid frosts, who knows?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 04-11-2018, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/18 15:59, David wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:09:42 +0000, David wrote:

Just discovered that our Brown Turkey has ripened as second crop fig.

There may be one or two more small ones with a chance as well.

Photo to follow.

Just picked the second ripe fig.
Only a small one this time.
The smallest second crop have behaved as usual, going wrinkly and or
mouldy and I have been picking them off.

The remaining few still look healthy; if we avoid frosts, who knows?

I wish mine had done better. Have a look at this:
https://imgur.com/a/UN6pZYD

Isn't that odd? I've never seen a fig split on the tree, and it was only
partially ripe at that.

--

Jeff
Old 04-11-2018, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 04 Nov 2018 16:09:56 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 04/11/18 15:59, David wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:09:42 +0000, David wrote:

Just discovered that our Brown Turkey has ripened as second crop fig.

There may be one or two more small ones with a chance as well.

Photo to follow.

Just picked the second ripe fig.
Only a small one this time.
The smallest second crop have behaved as usual, going wrinkly and or
mouldy and I have been picking them off.

The remaining few still look healthy; if we avoid frosts, who knows?

I wish mine had done better. Have a look at this:
https://imgur.com/a/UN6pZYD

Isn't that odd? I've never seen a fig split on the tree, and it was only
partially ripe at that.

That is how our first second crop fig was - but we noticed it pretty
quickly and brought it inside. Very tasty.

We have about another half dozen small ones which are showing pink at the
base which I think means that they are ripening and not just moribund.

Don't think it will make it quite as far as Christmas figs but this is the
best season I can remember and we have had the fig in the same pot for
around 20 years now.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 05-11-2018, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 15:59:20 David wrote:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:09:42 +0000, David wrote:

Just discovered that our Brown Turkey has ripened as second crop fig.

There may be one or two more small ones with a chance as well.

Photo to follow.

Just picked the second ripe fig.
Only a small one this time.
The smallest second crop have behaved as usual, going wrinkly and or
mouldy and I have been picking them off.

The remaining few still look healthy; if we avoid frosts, who knows?

Last week, before the cold weather came, I picked nearly five kilos of
ripe figs. From those I made fig chutney and fig jam. With the fig jam I
made a batch of fig rolls and these were devoured eagerly by my
daughters and their husbands when they gathered on Saturday to celebrate
a birthday!

I don't anticipate this happening in any future years, though, with the
most recent forecasts on global warming, it may just happen.

David

Carpobrotus Edulis AKA Ice Plant, Hottentot Fig, Kaffir Fig Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 24-03-2010 07:54 AM
Huge 2nd crop of coriander Roy Omond United Kingdom 4 15-11-2004 08:28 PM
Good News-Bad News Bob Adkins Ponds 2 14-09-2003 07:32 PM
Sad news, good news and questions all in one message Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 18 13-06-2003 05:44 PM
There is good news and bad news Essjay001 United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 03:32 AM