Old 18-05-2003, 04:44 PM
ged hickman

Default Bamboo tall but not invasive

I would like to plant bamboo as a feature in front of a 6ft high fence at
the back of a border.
Amongst my, perhaps unachievable, wishlists are;
Readily available
I don't want to pay the earth
I'd like it two meters or so high
I would like a non-invasive form
Preferably pretty as well

Any ideas or suggestion most welcome

cheers
Ged

Old 18-05-2003, 04:56 PM
redclay

ged hickman wrote in message
I would like to plant bamboo as a feature in front of a 6ft high fence at
the back of a border.
Amongst my, perhaps unachievable, wishlists are;
Readily available
I don't want to pay the earth
I'd like it two meters or so high
I would like a non-invasive form
Preferably pretty as well

Non invasive bamboo is just like the politicians that want to and, if
elected, will cut both government spending and size; they do not exist.
Find somethng else.

Old 18-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Rick McGreal

"ged hickman" wrote in
:

I would like to plant bamboo as a feature in front of a 6ft high fence at
the back of a border.
Amongst my, perhaps unachievable, wishlists are;
Readily available
I don't want to pay the earth
I'd like it two meters or so high
I would like a non-invasive form
Preferably pretty as well

Any ideas or suggestion most welcome

Perhaps a Pampas grass?
Old 18-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Sumgod

Ged,

I got Arundinaria murielae (think it might have a 'new' name now - fargesia
some-at?). Seems to fit the bill as far as you're concerned. Is one of the
clump formers and not a runner. If you got a bit of patience and want loads
of em, keep in a pot till rootbound and then saw into 4 (I did one last
night). Then either plant or pot up. At random on Google I found these sites
with Arundinaria murielae (for info only).

http://www.fulbrook.clara.net/page4.htm
http://www.plants8.freeserve.co.uk/bamboo.htm
http://www.gee-tee.co.uk/page9.html

As for advice like 'pampas grass' and 'forget it', well...........just
forget it and go get what you want.

Good luck!

Tony

Old 18-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 18 May 2003 16:47:40 +0100, "ged hickman"
wrote:

I would like to plant bamboo as a feature in front of a 6ft high fence at
the back of a border.
Amongst my, perhaps unachievable, wishlists are;
Readily available
I don't want to pay the earth
I'd like it two meters or so high
I would like a non-invasive form
Preferably pretty as well

Yes there ARE non-invasive bamboos.
Mine was bought at Wisley 15 years ago labelled Phyllostachys nigra.
It is phyllostachys but not nigra.
It took until last year to need splitting as the clump was about 3
feet across.
What you must Not buy is a spreading one. Make sure it is clump
forming.
Google gave me http://www.thescottishbamboonursery.co.uk/home.htm
which has a good selection and under "search" you will find them well
categorised.

Pam in Bristol

Old 18-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Pam Moore

PS re my phyllostachys bamboo;
It is very graceful, about 10 feet tall and waving around a lot in
this weather!

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Zizz

"ged hickman" wrote in message
I would like to plant bamboo as a feature in front of a 6ft high fence at
the back of a border.
Amongst my, perhaps unachievable, wishlists are;
Readily available
I don't want to pay the earth
I'd like it two meters or so high
I would like a non-invasive form
Preferably pretty as well

Any ideas or suggestion most welcome

cheers
Ged

I've 2 phyllostachys nigras both currently about 6 feet tall an have had
them planted in the ground against a fence for the past 2 years.
If there are any worries about bamboo spreading then you can always put a
barrier around it to prevent spread as bamboos aren't too deep rooting.

Old 18-05-2003, 10:44 PM
bnd777

Just plant the clump forming bamboo in a large deep bottomless pot sunk in
the ground ,,,,,,,,,it will stop any runners .......Wyevale nurseries have
quite a reasonable range

Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Zizz

Wyevale I find can be a bit on the expensive side, mind you all nurseries
are on the expensive side when I go to them!
I think it pays to have a look around, my guess is for a 2 metre bamboo
£20-£25 is roughly the going rate down here in the SE!

Old 19-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Hussein M.

On Sun, 18 May 2003 20:40:35 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

PS re my phyllostachys bamboo;
It is very graceful, about 10 feet tall and waving around a lot in
this weather!

Yes, the movement is welcome even in the gentlest of breezes - those slender tips.

Huss
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Old 19-05-2003, 02:54 AM
Steve Harris

Consider Kerria Japonica instead. Grows to about 6', spreads slowly,
nice yellow flowers. Cheap