White fluff on apple tree

Old 02-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Andrew

Default White fluff on apple tree

Some lumps and bunps on an old apple tree have started to secrete a
white fluffy substance which looks like a mould to my untrained eye. How
concerned should I be? What action should I take? TIA.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 PM
gmt

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Some lumps and bunps on an old apple tree have started to secrete a
white fluffy substance which looks like a mould to my untrained eye. How
concerned should I be? What action should I take? TIA.

Its an aphid called woolly apple aphid.
If you squash them you get a bloodlike mess.
As I recall it takes quite a lot of spray to get through
the waxy 'fluff' to kill the bug. Must admit my apple
tree has had it for years and I've done
nothing.

JillT

Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Paul D.Smith

Sounds like a form of aphid that produces that horrid fuzz as protection. I
had them last year. A good blast with a hosepipe removes most of them and
leaves the rest in a very sorry state!

Paul DS.

Old 02-06-2003, 09:14 PM
anton

Andrew wrote in message ...
Some lumps and bunps on an old apple tree have started to secrete a
white fluffy substance which looks like a mould to my untrained eye. How
concerned should I be? What action should I take? TIA.

Other posters have identified it as woolly aphid. Some trees
seem to have a little bit and not get further problems. It can
get out of hand later in the season, though, particularly on some
younger trees. Painting the affected bits with alcohol zaps the little
wotsits completely.

--
Anton

Old 02-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Brian Watson

"anton" wrote in message

Andrew wrote in message ...
Some lumps and bunps on an old apple tree have started to secrete a
white fluffy substance which looks like a mould to my untrained eye. How
concerned should I be? What action should I take? TIA.

Other posters have identified it as woolly aphid. Some trees
seem to have a little bit and not get further problems. It can
get out of hand later in the season, though, particularly on some
younger trees. Painting the affected bits with alcohol zaps the little
wotsits completely.

Or methylated spirits.

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Old 03-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Andrew

Thank you for the response/reassurance. Much appreciated.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Charlie Pridham

"anton" wrote in message

Andrew wrote in message ...
Some lumps and bunps on an old apple tree have started to secrete a
white fluffy substance which looks like a mould to my untrained eye. How
concerned should I be? What action should I take? TIA.

Other posters have identified it as woolly aphid. Some trees
seem to have a little bit and not get further problems. It can
get out of hand later in the season, though, particularly on some
younger trees. Painting the affected bits with alcohol zaps the little
wotsits completely.

--
Anton

I prefer a combination treatment, I drink the alcohol and then ignore the
problem. No worries! :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Andrew

Thank you for the response/reassurance. Much appreciated.

Old 13-06-2014, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Paul D.Smith View Post
Sounds like a form of aphid that produces that horrid fuzz as protection. I
had them last year. A good blast with a hosepipe removes most of them and
leaves the rest in a very sorry state!

Paul DS.
I assume my pictures show this woolly aphid? Looks like eggs within the fuzz.
Hope the attachments show.
Attached Thumbnails
White fluff on apple tree-apple-fuzz-002.jpg  White fluff on apple tree-apple-fuzz-006.jpg  White fluff on apple tree-apple-fuzz-008.jpg
Old 14-06-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Heathrow Garden View Post
I assume my pictures show this woolly aphid? Looks like eggs within the fuzz.
Hope the attachments show.
That is not the aphid, please don't squash it, he's your friend and will grow up to be a ladybird. They love eating aphids, and the young are voracious eaters. What you referred to as the eggs are the adult aphids