Old 10-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Simon Gardner

Default Surviving a plague of moths

In article ,
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote:

"Roy Millar" wrote in message
Don't know what I could have done to encourage them, but I'm suffering
a plague of small (clothes?) moths.

Anyone know of reasonably safe ways of eliminating them?

If you can bear it, please don't eliminate them.
Obviously check that they are not clothes moths first :-)
AFAIK they are completely harmless and beneficial to the garden, much like
butterflies.

Sounds like it might be meal moths. They like flour and particularly
peanuts. They are a bugger to get rid of and you have to use a special
insecticide for months. Ordinary household insecticide doesn't touch them.
Make sure all possible stored food is sealed so the grubs can't get at it.

Old 10-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Mike Lyle

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
Cross posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Roy Millar, Use m o u l i n e t @

There are loads of moths around at present but I doubt they are clothes
moths.
I don't think they do very well on modern artificial fabrics.

I keep finding moths hiding in unlikely places during the day.
AFAIK they are mainly nocturnal and so have to find a safe retreat during
the heat of the day.
I am trying to explain gently that my stock of timber in the garage which I
am using in my ever ongoing en-suite project is not a safe place to hide,
but every time I pull out another piece of timber I find a moth hiding in
the gaps below.

If you can bear it, please don't eliminate them.
Obviously check that they are not clothes moths first :-)
AFAIK they are completely harmless and beneficial to the garden, much like
butterflies.
They seem to take over from the butterflies in the evening, flitting between
the flowers.

I like moths: many of them are much more elegant than butterflies. The
children and I used to set a moth trap overnight and admire and
release our haul in the morning. Collins Gem Guide to Butterflies and
Moths is very good for identifying.

Clothes moths are very small, and I doubt if you'd get clouds of them
in the garden. Cabbage moths are the night equivalent of cabbage white
butterflies; codlin moths are the ones which put caterpillars in
apples; and I find mullein moths troublesome on verbascums here in
West Wales. All these are shades of brown -- at rest, the mulleins
look just like old bits of bark. Also a pest are winter moths, which
you won't have just now, as, surprisingly, they appear in the winter:
grease bands round your apple trees will stop the wingless females
climbing up and creating havoc.

Mike.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

"Roy Millar" wrote in message
Don't know what I could have done to encourage them, but I'm suffering
a plague of small (clothes?) moths.

Anyone know of reasonably safe ways of eliminating them?

There are loads of moths around at present but I doubt they are clothes
moths.
I don't think they do very well on modern artificial fabrics.

Funnily enough in the past fortnight we too have a plague of moths in
the house which look exactly like clothes moths; something I've hardly
seen for years even though most of our clothes and domestic fabrics are
natural fibres. I've been squashing them.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
anne

"Roy Millar" wrote in message
Don't know what I could have done to encourage them, but I'm suffering
a plague of small (clothes?) moths.

Anyone know of reasonably safe ways of eliminating them?

There are loads of moths around at present but I doubt they are clothes
moths.
I don't think they do very well on modern artificial fabrics.

Funnily enough in the past fortnight we too have a plague of moths in
the house which look exactly like clothes moths; something I've hardly
seen for years even though most of our clothes and domestic fabrics are
natural fibres. I've been squashing them.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

Clothes moths officially died out according to a website I came across.
Forget the year and the website, but trust me all moths around today are
friends.

Old 11-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Aileen Howard

In the 'olden days' Mum used to put "moth-balls" in the wardrobes to
discourage moths (not kill them as far as I know). These were naphthalene,
and smelled pretty horrid as far as I remember, but it must be better than
squashing them (even for a phobic like me).

Regards, Aileen

Old 11-08-2003, 08:03 AM
martin

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 03:16:40 +0100, "anne"
wrote:

Clothes moths officially died out according to a website I came across.

with the end of ration books?

Forget the year and the website, but trust me all moths around today are
friends.

--
Martin

Ping - Gill How are you surviving the English floods Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 2 28-07-2007 10:44 PM
Surviving Christmas - O/T - probably Pat Gardiner United Kingdom 0 01-12-2006 06:46 PM
Surviving in the Wild pixi Ponds 16 19-07-2005 05:09 AM
The moths, the moths pete Permaculture 6 14-12-2003 05:42 AM
moths shannie United Kingdom 1 16-06-2003 11:20 PM