Old 12-08-2003, 08:07 PM
g00se

Default Spider Plant

Hi

Following on from your excellent advise re my cacti, I now seek more help!

I have a flourishing spider plant and I want to duplicate it - I am
completely clueless as to how to do this though. Do I just cut a leaf off
and put it into my Heated propagator? Will the leaf grow roots in the
propagator?

Cheers for your advice :O)

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
«.·°·. g00se .·°·.»

Old 12-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Ophelia

"g00se" wrote in message
Hi

Following on from your excellent advise re my cacti, I now seek more help!

I have a flourishing spider plant and I want to duplicate it - I am
completely clueless as to how to do this though. Do I just cut a leaf off
and put it into my Heated propagator? Will the leaf grow roots in the
propagator?

Spider plants grow lots of wee plantlets. If you put these into soil or
peat they will grow a new plant

Ophelia

Old 12-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Jim W

g00se wrote:

Hi

Following on from your excellent advise re my cacti, I now seek more help!

I have a flourishing spider plant and I want to duplicate it - I am
completely clueless as to how to do this though. Do I just cut a leaf off
and put it into my Heated propagator? Will the leaf grow roots in the
propagator?

Cheers for your advice :O)

Best way to get spider plants is to let them grow.. THey are viviparous
('live bearing' which applies to plants in this context) and will
produce offsets on the ends of long stalks. Snip these off and place
into pots when big enought to handle comfortably.

I find the best way to encourage good plantlets is to grow my spiders
outside in baskets in the summer. Mine ususally go the winter in the
porch though they often die right back but resprout from the roots with
fresh growth.
Alternatvily bring some indoors for the winter.
//
Jim

Old 13-08-2003, 10:33 AM
Robert Davies

I always thought of spider plants as a houseplant but this year I've
seen them used in a couple of places as summer bedding and they looked
really good. I'm feeling inspired to bring on a few offshoots over the
next winter and do the same myself next year.

Robert

----------
In article
1fzllc2.1x7ms6sagyt30N%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net,

Old 13-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Jim W

Robert Davies wrote:

I always thought of spider plants as a houseplant but this year I've
seen them used in a couple of places as summer bedding and they looked
really good. I'm feeling inspired to bring on a few offshoots over the
next winter and do the same myself next year.

Yep its the better humidity and high light levels that makes them look
so good.. If you can get this indoors as well they would look just as
happy;-)
//
Jim
Old 13-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Ophelia

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fzmm0n.6jbw7t15q1tveN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Robert Davies wrote:

I always thought of spider plants as a houseplant but this year I've
seen them used in a couple of places as summer bedding and they looked
really good. I'm feeling inspired to bring on a few offshoots over the
next winter and do the same myself next year.

Yep its the better humidity and high light levels that makes them look
so good.. If you can get this indoors as well they would look just as
happy;-)

I used to grow mine in the bathroom where they always flourished