Old 17-08-2003, 10:13 PM
GoldDustRhiannon

Default Sharon Fruit

I'm growing a sharon fruit (persimmon sp?) from seed. It has germinated but
looks unwell. I've searched for information on the net to no avail. Has anyone
here grown one? I'm interested to know what kind of conditions they thrive in.
Dry, wet, hot, cold etc? any ideas?

Thankyou
Lorraine
Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Jim W

GoldDustRhiannon wrote:

I'm growing a sharon fruit (persimmon sp?) from seed. It has germinated but
looks unwell. I've searched for information on the net to no avail. Has anyone
here grown one? I'm interested to know what kind of conditions they thrive in.
Dry, wet, hot, cold etc? any ideas?

Depending on which species you have they 'might' grow over here. (see
second article). generally though I get the impression they like heat.
Commercially produced in Israel. See 1st article.
//
Jim

--------------------
Persimmons
http://www.seedtosupper.com/persimmons.html
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Books
Persimmons

Firm-ripe Persimmons

Soft-ripe Persimmons

Dehydrated Persimmons

Persimmons Progress

Persimmons Contents
Avocados
Cucumbers
Melons &
Gourds
Eggplant
Okra
Persimmons
Summer
Squash &
Squash
Blossoms
Tomatillos
Winter
Squash &
Pumpkins
Bobbi Jo's
Southern
Sunday
Suppers
The
Willsknoll Collection
Gifts
News
Links

Persimmons (Kaki) (Excerpts from "Persimmons (Kaki) From Seed To
Supper")

Most of the world calls them kaki; they are caqui in Spanish, or Sharon
fruit in Israel. In the United States, we call them persimmons after the
Algonquin Indian name for Diospyros virginiana, the native american
persimmon or Possum Persimmon. The genus name, Diospyros, means "food
for the gods". Once you get to know persimmons, you will agree they are
indeed food for the gods. The genus Diospyros has three species of
importance to the home gardener, kaki, virginiana and digyna.

DIOSPYROS kaki is an oval shaped tree that grows to 20 to 25 feet tall
and 20 to 30 feet wide. Its most common varieties a
CALIFORNIA FUYU (Oku Gosho?): Medium, round with a slight point, orange
to deep red-orange color, sporadic male blossoms, often seedy,
non-astringent, firm-ripe.
CHOCOLATE: Small reddish-orange, flesh is streaked with brown when cross
pollinated, soft-ripe.
FUYU: Medium, oval like a flattened apple or tomato, pale orange to deep
red-orange color, non-astringent, firm-ripe.
GIANT FUYU (Jumbu or Hana Fuyu): Large somewhat irregular tapered shape,
ripens quickly, very sweet, pale orange to deep red-orange color,
non-astringent, firm-ripe.
HACHIYA: Large, acorn-shaped persimmon, deep orange-red color,
soft-ripe.
JIRO: Very similar and often confused with fuyu, squarish and truncated,
pale orange to deep red-orange color, non-astringent, firm-ripe.
TAMOPAN: Large, irregularly globed rounded, deep orange-red color,
soft-ripe.
TANENASHI: Medium, cone-shaped, yellow-orange, early ripening,
seed-less, more widely grown in the south eastern United States,
soft-ripe.
DIOSPYROS virginiana is a cone shaped tree that grows to 35 to 60 feet
tall and 20 to 30 feet wide. Its most common varieties a
EARLY GOLDEN: Small round deep orange color, soft-ripe.
GARRETTSON: Small round deep orange color, soft-ripe.
KILLEN: Small round deep orange color, soft-ripe.

DIOSPYROS digyna: The black sapote, chocolate brown color, thin skinned,
soft-ripe.
The genus diospyros also includes:
DIOSPYROS texana or Black Persimmon, an American native found in Texas.
DIOSPYROS lotus or Chinese date plum, small 1-inch dark brown fruit
commonly used as root stock with it's many branching roots. There is a
compatibility problem between fuyu and D. lotus.
DIOSPYROS discolor: mabolo or velvet apple of Malaysia.
Nutritional Breakdown
Persimmon - One medium-size raw 118 Calories, 134.9g Water, 0.3g Fat,
168g Weight, 1.0g Protein, 31.2g Carbohydrate 13mg Vit.C, .03mg Vit.B-2,
13mcg. Folate, 3640 IU Vit.A, 0.5mg Vit.B-1, 0.2mg Niacin, 3mg Sodium,
13mg Calcium, 15mg Magnesium, .18mg Zinc,.596mg Manganese 270mg
Potassium, 28mg Phosphorus, .26mg Iron, .190mg Copper.
Persimmon - One medium-size dried 93 Calories, 7.8g Water, 0.2g Fat, 34g
Weight, 0.5g Protein, 25g Carbohydrate 0mg Vit.C, .01mg Vit.B-2, 190 IU
Vit.A, 0 Vit.B-1, 0.1mg Niacin, 1mg Sodium, 8mg Calcium, 11mg Magnesium,
..14mg Zinc, .473 mg Manganese, 273mg Potassium, 27mg Phosphorus, .25mg
Iron, .150mg Copper.

Permanent Publications - Plant Profiles - Part 1
http://www.permaculture.co.uk/mag/Ar...ile_Part1.html
Sunday, August 17, 2003

LATE AUTUMN
One of our last crops of the year comes from the AMERICAN PERSIMMON,
Diospyros virginiana (see Fig.3)
Fig 3. AMERICAN PERSIMMON, Diospyros virginianaand the DATE PLUM, D.
lotus. These two deciduous trees, which grow up to 10 metres tall and 8
metres wide, produce some of the most delicious fruits I have ever eaten
from plants growing in Britain. They are related to the PERSIMMON or
SHARON FRUIT that is sometimes seen in greengrocers and their fruits are
very similar in shape but much smaller, ranging in size from a cherry to
a small crab apple.
It is important that you only eat the fruit when it is absolutely ripe
and squidgy soft, before that it will be astringent and have an
extremely unpleasant effect on your mouth. Fully ripe, it tastes
somewhat like a rich apricot jelly (my wife says that I should just call
it ambrosia). Plants do require a good summer in order to ripen their
fruit properly so they grow better in the south-east of Britain where
the yield is normally very good. The fruit tastes nicer after a frost
and ripens over several weeks from October until December. If picked
when still firm in November it will often store for two months or more.
Old 18-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Dwayne

The ones I've had experience with liked warmer weather and a pH of around 6.
These were wild and came up all over the place.

I believe I have seen some that were cold hardy listed in some of the
catalogs, but wasn't really interested so I didn't pay that much attention.

Dwayne

sharon fruit laptop United Kingdom 0 02-07-2004 10:04 PM
[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai??? Bob Bugay Bonsai 3 10-05-2003 04:08 AM
Pruning Rose of Sharon? Natty_Dread Gardening 4 15-04-2003 02:20 AM
Rose of Sharon hugh mcmanus Roses 1 13-04-2003 03:32 AM
Double Rose of Sharon (peach or apricot) Purchgdss Gardening 2 31-03-2003 12:08 AM