Old 31-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Janice

Default Severe Pruning Leylandii

Will a leylandii hedge be killed if it's pruned back severely on one side,
or will it continue to grow as usual on the other side?

Thanks

Old 31-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Janice

Heh, heh. No, in this instance it's my neighbour's side.

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:10:01 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Will a leylandii hedge be killed if it's pruned back severely on one

side,
or will it continue to grow as usual on the other side?

Is the planned pruning on your side of the boundary or your
neighbours? :-)
--
Martin

Old 31-08-2003, 02:22 PM
bnd777

Do check www.hedgeline.org for more info on possible ramifications

Old 31-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Janice

Yes, the neighbour has pruned my leylandii hedge, which I maintain to a
decent height (7 feet). I get the tree surgeons in annually to cut it, and
I trim it myself a couple of times a year. The neighbour has cut the hedge
on his side almost back to the bare trunk.

As long as it keeps growing on my side then fine, but I'll be mighty angry
if the hedge dies.

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:14:16 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Heh, heh. No, in this instance it's my neighbour's side.

and is he pruning your leylandii?
--
Martin

Old 31-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janice
writes
Yes, the neighbour has pruned my leylandii hedge, which I maintain to a
decent height (7 feet). I get the tree surgeons in annually to cut it, and
I trim it myself a couple of times a year. The neighbour has cut the hedge
on his side almost back to the bare trunk.

As long as it keeps growing on my side then fine, but I'll be mighty angry
if the hedge dies.

He isn't allowed to cut back the hedge if it's on your land, and you
have a legitimate complaint against him.

If he's simply pruned it back to the boundary, then I suggest that if
you replant, you do so at a suitable distance inside your boundary so
that the branches d0on't stray over his side.

I don't think it will die, though, and the only effect will be that he
has bare trunks to look at whil you still have a nice green hedge.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 31-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Ron Clark

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:02:40 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Yes, the neighbour has pruned my leylandii hedge, which I maintain to a
decent height (7 feet). I get the tree surgeons in annually to cut it, and
I trim it myself a couple of times a year. The neighbour has cut the hedge
on his side almost back to the bare trunk.

As long as it keeps growing on my side then fine, but I'll be mighty angry
if the hedge dies.

If he's cut it back exactly to the property border you've got no
legitimate complaint. (And he's quite entitled to chuck all the
trimmings back across into your garden, on the assumption that it's
your property which has invaded his space)
If the hedge then dies, it was planted too near to the border in the
first place.

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 31-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janice" wrote in message
Yes, the neighbour has pruned my leylandii hedge, which I maintain to a
decent height (7 feet). I get the tree surgeons in annually to cut it,

and
I trim it myself a couple of times a year. The neighbour has cut the

hedge
on his side almost back to the bare trunk.

As long as it keeps growing on my side then fine, but I'll be mighty angry
if the hedge dies.

I would be surprised if the hedge dies. I am afraid your neighbour has shot
himself in the foot. He has nothing but ugly bare mangled growths to look
forward to. At least you will no longer have to clip the far side of your
hedge.

Franz

Old 31-08-2003, 11:22 PM
David @chapelhouse.demon.co.uk

In article , Janice
writes
Yes, the neighbour has pruned my leylandii hedge, which I maintain to a
decent height (7 feet). I get the tree surgeons in annually to cut it, and
I trim it myself a couple of times a year. The neighbour has cut the hedge
on his side almost back to the bare trunk.

As long as it keeps growing on my side then fine, but I'll be mighty angry
if the hedge dies.

Did you plant the hedge Janice? if so you should have planted it 2'
inside the boundary line, too many people plant hedges on the boundary
line.

--
David
Old 01-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Paul Kelly

David @chapelhouse.demon.co.uk wrote:
In article ,
Janice writes
Yes, the neighbour has pruned my leylandii hedge, which I maintain
to a decent height (7 feet). I get the tree surgeons in annually to
cut it, and I trim it myself a couple of times a year. The
neighbour has cut the hedge on his side almost back to the bare
trunk.

As long as it keeps growing on my side then fine, but I'll be mighty
angry if the hedge dies.

Did you plant the hedge Janice? if so you should have planted it 2'
inside the boundary line, too many people plant hedges on the boundary
line.

For leylandii @ 7ft, more that 2'! Anything less is antisocial.

pk

Old 01-09-2003, 01:02 AM
David @chapelhouse.demon.co.uk

In article , Paul Kelly
writes
David @chapelhouse.demon.co.uk wrote:
In article ,
Janice writes
Yes, the neighbour has pruned my leylandii hedge, which I maintain
to a decent height (7 feet). I get the tree surgeons in annually to
cut it, and I trim it myself a couple of times a year. The
neighbour has cut the hedge on his side almost back to the bare
trunk.

As long as it keeps growing on my side then fine, but I'll be mighty
angry if the hedge dies.

Did you plant the hedge Janice? if so you should have planted it 2'
inside the boundary line, too many people plant hedges on the boundary
line.

For leylandii @ 7ft, more that 2'! Anything less is antisocial.

Don't be daft, 2' to the boundary and 2' towards you gives a 4' thick
hedge, why would you want it thicker than that? or are you going to go
on about the height again?
--
David
Old 01-09-2003, 04:23 AM

Ron Clark writes:

If he's cut it back exactly to the property border you've got no
legitimate complaint. (And he's quite entitled to chuck all the
trimmings back across into your garden, on the assumption that it's
your property which has invaded his space)

He is *not* entitled to chuck the trimmings over. He is obliged to
*offer* to return them, and you are quite at liberty to refuse.

Anthony

Old 01-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Janice

No, the hedge was already here when we moved in. We've spent a fortune on
upkeep ever since, but I think the hedge is needed because we're in a real
goldfish bowl -- overlooked by 6 surrounding houses, but if the hedge came
down even more houses would have full view of our windows and garden!
Barratt Homes !!

Old 01-09-2003, 11:34 PM
bnd777

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0k6cz.xcbzbt1v7dq62N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Janice wrote:

Will a leylandii hedge be killed if it's pruned back severely on one

side,
or will it continue to grow as usual on the other side?

Thanks

No it will just be brown and horrible on the side that you pruned. It
will continue to grow on the unpruned side.

The main reason why there are so many problems with Leyandii is because
people do not maintain them regularly.. They do not respond well to
heavy pruning, unlike many other species.
//
Jim

Janice has not said whether she always cut back the neighbours side when
doing her own because its the failure of hedge growers to maintain the
"other side " thats causing mounting neighbour disputes along with the
devastation that Leyllandi cause to the soil

Equally far too many people plant hedges and leylandii right on the boundary
line and then wonder why the neighbour is upset

I know the hell I suffer an entire 150 ft boundary wrecked by a mix of 57
conifers all 10/12ft high ( many are Lawsons which you cant trim back at all
or you have brown sticks )..........as they are planted 6 inches from the
boundary they are breaking our fence .....they are old and some have died
but the neighbour simply plants more bang on the boundary ........and
certainly will not cut my side or enter into a reasonable discussion on the
problems they cause

I for once would like my choice of things to grow on the boundary but fat
chance